Traveling with the M240

JimKasson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi algrove,

You guys over the pond seem to have endless issues with Leica NJ - can you not talk to and send to Solms direct? I certainly have from the UK and have always found them extremely helpful. You may as well dispatch direct to Germany rather than first sending to NJ and then awaiting NJ to send to Solms (and then repeating the trail back again).

Transit costs may be an issue - and/or the requirement to deal direct with NJ not withstanding.

You are in the common market and we are not. That makes it a simple shipment for you, but not for us.

First, if the Leica item was purchased in the US one had better involve Leica NJ as their warranty can differ from other countries.

Second, if I send anything out of the US, it is very expensive and customs forms galore are required. Then Germany has to import it, often at a cost no matter what I say on the US customs form for the German customs. Cost Example: I sent a letter in a UPS shipping envelop cheapest way to Europe this week and it cost $64.

Third, when Germany sends the item to me no matter what they put on the German customs form the US customs charges me duty and then UPS or Fedex also charges me brokerage and clearance fees which alone can be hundreds of dollars before duty and shipping. It costs more to claw back the duty than to just pay it. I tried that once.

Fourth, we even pay for used Leica gear bought in Canada, even though we are in the NAFTA community. Go figure.

I can be difficult custom wise between the USA and Europe, granted, but one correction: The USA warranty is a local one whereas the factory guaranty is worldwide and more liberal.

Does the factory worldwide warranty include accidental dropping of a lens and also does it cover 3 years in duration?

I have purchased lenses in the US and in Europe and the warranty cards are very different.

No - dropping a lens is covered by insurance, and I think the duration is 2 years, but then the European guaranty covers a subsequent owner as well and grey imports. Otoh, Leica is repairing my Summilus 24, long out of warranty and well-used, as a courtesy repair. It dropped its apertureblades and developed a wobble in the mount ( a slight one, I never noticed until Leica told me)

Edited by jaapv

No - dropping a lens is covered by insurance, and I think the duration is 2 years, but then the European guaranty covers a subsequent owner as well and grey imports. Otoh, Leica is repairing my Summilus 24, long out of warranty and well-used, as a courtesy repair. It dropped its apertureblades and developed a wobble in the mount ( a slight one, I never noticed until Leica told me)

Jaap

That's my point as the US warranty covers accidental dropping of the lens for 3 years and all the warranty cards I get back from Leica US show a 3 year duration for warranty work even if they must send the lens to Solms.

I quote the Leica USA Warranty Card for you

Leica 3 Year Passport Protection Plan and Limited Warranty

"Congratulations……..This exclusive plan provides protection against manufacturer defects, functional failures, or any accidental damage to the covered Product including breakage, water damage, or any accident. Excluded are occurrences of fire, loss, theft or signs of deliberate damage. ….."

Edited by algrove