Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there, new to the forums here, please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have been looking for a good 28mm (near 35mm equiv.) lens for both IR photography and B&W once I sell my full spectrum modified Olympus.

After researching a while I have come down to these three options;

• Ultron 28/1.9 = Good low contrast B&W, IR??
  • Biogon 28/2.8 = Not so good B&W (higher contrast) but good IR
  • Summaron 35/3.5 (Not 28mm I know) = Good B&W and apparently good for IR (due to coatings)

The Ultron seems ideal for my needs except there is very little information on its use for IR. Can anyone confirm whether it is sharp in the spectrum or suffers from hotspots at certain apertures? Samples would be great to.

The Biogon has IR focus marking which would probably make my life alot easier except I've heard its not the best for B&W, unless some samples convince me otherwise. For IR it doesn't suffer any hotspots according to the guys @ getdpi.

If I can see more IR action (samples ofc) from the Summaron I might be sold. Although a filtering solution for this lens seems like a pain, if anyone is using this for IR how have you gone about with it? Just using the SOOGZ adapter?

Any samples of the three in b&w and IR are greatly appreciated! If there are any other possible lens options apart from those 3 that I should consider, please let me know also. Thanks for the help :D

Edited by AmberValetta

Welcome to the forum Amber. It is the sensor and lack of anti-aliasing filter which endows the M8 with good IR properties. Lens coatings have a marginal effect. You will need a good IR filter. Search the forum and you will find much information in past threads on M8 and IR.

Welcome to the forum Amber. It is the sensor and lack of anti-aliasing filter which endows the M8 with good IR properties. Lens coatings have a marginal effect. You will need a good IR filter. Search the forum and you will find much information in past threads on M8 and IR.

Hi wda, thank you for the response. I am well acquainted with the basic workings of IR as for filter choices I will most likely use the B+W 093 (For those beautiful stark monochromes) and a Hoya R72 for a little faux color experimentation.

I have heard older lenses work better for IR and just happen to assume it was due to the coatings (or rather lack of).

However, there is very little information regarding these 3 lens that I seek not just on these forums but at getdpi and various other.