Most accurate focusing

nunnzzzz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

whats focus peaking?

I use the vf2 on the X-Vario, the only time I have used it on the M was to check if my lenses are focusing correct…they do. I much prefer the optical viewfinder/rangefinder for focusing and for framing.

I might use it if I had lenses which are not calibrated correctly or which suffer from focus shift, but I don't own such lenses any more.

Keep in mind there are those of us where the EVF is the only way to effectively use R lenses on the M240.

I've only just taken delivery of the M but would expect the EVF will be extremely useful when used with the WATE. If not for improved focusing, it should be better than the Frankenfinder for accurate composition.

Cheers, Tom

I've only just taken delivery of the M but would expect the EVF will be extremely useful when used with the WATE. If not for improved focusing, it should be better than the Frankenfinder for accurate composition.

All true, and you can use the intermediate (between the clicks) focal lengths as well.

I find it impossible to focus the WATE with the EVF, since, even wide open, it has so much DOF. It's easy to focus with the RF, and since you don't want to use it wide open unless you don't care it the corners go soft, you can just guess the distance and set the scale.

More generally, I find that focus peaking doesn't help me focus with the EVF, since it depends on the contrast of the subject so much. What I do is open the lens up all the way, focus with the EVF, and stop the lens down to the working aperture. This is a fairly slow operation, best performed on a tripod. It works well since almost all Leica lenses, being designed for RF use, have very little focus shift.

Another EVF advantage is that you can tilt the finder up, and look straight down and frame. This lets you use a shorter tripod, and allows photo angles that are normally awkward. However, tripod mounted, it only works for horizontals.

Jim

Jim

I use a QR L bracket with tripod work and often shoot verticals for future stitching. The EVF works with verticals, alibi with no chance to get the EVF in true vertical position.

Right. I use the RRS bracket for that purpose. But when the camera is vertical, tilting the EVF 90 degrees just moves it from one horizontal orientation to another, and you lose the ability to comfortably use a short tripod. That's what I meant.

Jim

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The RF beats EVF without breaking a sweat for all my lenses ( M 16 - 90mm). The EVf is good for composition of UWs, but is imo less useful for all other usage. The resolution is like all other EVF a few magnitudes to low for real focus, and the peaking not accurate enough.

Still, a good option from Leica :)

I don’t agree. I found the EVF and focus peaking extremely accurate on tele lenses. About 50 cm of focussing play at twenty meters using a 400 5.6 lens. That is better than I can do with an R8.

As for focussing accuracy on ultra-wides, you are certainly right, it is the same thing on an SLR, but who cares? DOF makes even scale focusing adequately accurate.

Definitely the option of the EVF increases the versatility of the system, and it is tons more convenient than a Visoflex. Plus it obviates carrying a handful of accessory finders for wide angle lenses having no in-camera frame lines, and what it lacks in clarity it makes up for in less distortion than those clip-on finders. The low-angle capability is also a plus. I have used the M240 with the EVF and readily concur that it is certainly more effortless to compose accurately. However I did not find it that easy to focus accurately. I find my ancient Canon 5D (despite the finder being optimized for AF and having no focus aids) easier to focus with adapted manual lenses, including the wonderfully lightweight 400/6.8 Telyt despite its modest aperture.