I love my M

Paulus

Their web site is short on facts, I'm afraid. Since the desktop app works by looking into each picture in order to find an image of the QR code, I could imagine that they only support image formats they can easily process. This would also appear to imply that when shooting both DNGs and JPEGs, only the JPEG images would be tagged and not the DNG ones.

However, it appears that they added some features since I looked at the app the last time.

• Like 1

It says any format and lists (jpg, raw, tiff...) on their web site. I will assume that DNG will be supported. However if you are using LR then gpx is simpler (IMHO). Else you will need two step process (one to geo tag and then to import). Also you will need correct timestamp in your camera otherwise gps4cam desktop app may get confused (this is my assumption, since I don't use the gps4cam desktop app). Try both ways and let us know which one is simpler for you.

• Like 2

I'll keep popping in to this thread and try to keep up. Maybe when I'm back I'll have a play and see how it goes. If I don't manage to get it to work its not a total disaster... Thank you for the help on this so far.

I have the app now, and it will be running in the background all during the trip, so we shall see. I'm not going to complicate things by worrying about it.

.... Also you will need correct timestamp in your camera otherwise gps4cam desktop app may get confused (this is my assumption, since I don't use the gps4cam desktop app). ....

This is not the case. The desktop part of the app handles that quite nicely. 

It works like this: at the end of your trip you tell the app in your phone that the you are done. It then displays a QR code containing the GPX data and the current time. You photograph this code. The desktop app then searches the images of your trip to find the image of the QR code and uses the time stamp in the QR code and the time stamp of the image to determine the offset.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

GPS4CAM looks potentially very useful. However, do any of you users of the GPS4CAM app know whether it is still being supported for current IOS versions? I noted recent reviews claiming that it does not function with IOS 10 on iPhones. Their website appears not to have been updated for a long time, and the app has not been updated for IOS in 2 years. Their last blog entry was in 2014 and last update to their OS X desktop version was for Yosemite. From this, one might guess they have moved on to other things and stopped maintaining this app.

I am running 10.2.1 on my iPhone6 and it works fine.

Edit: This app is only one of the ways I get gpx tracks for my hikes/photo walks etc. Sometimes I use dedicated GPS devices or some other GPS smart phone app (I use MotionX-GPS for hikes) or even borrow gpx files from my friend's devices who are hiking/walking with me. Once I get the gpx track, I can upload to LR and after that it is simply drag and drop. The advantage of GPS4CAM was low to nil battery consumption. I will certainly miss it if they stop supporting it but it is not the end of the world.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had my M-P 240 for a few weeks now and thus far I haven't missed my Nikon D4 one iota. I just wished I'd made the switch earlier.

I have always used zone focusing for my street work (even with the Nikon) and happily the number of keepers has gone up significantly since I started using the Leica.

I only plan to have one lens (the 35mm Summicron) It's more that enough to keep me occupied and I intend to keep it that way.

Happy Days.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still the best £/IQ M ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1