I love my M

Paulus

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After some reluctance, I have just joined the digital age with the new M.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

I'm lovin' mine too.

• Like 3

Until someone loan you a monochrom. Then you will be longing for MM. M is a great camera but MM is a statement.

Especially if at the end you convert most of your works to BW (like me), you should try MM.

Jerry.

Just have both, then you are covered.:D

Until someone loan you a monochrom. Then you will be longing for MM. M is a great camera but MM is a statement.

Especially if at the end you convert most of your works to BW (like me), you should try MM.

Jerry.

I had the MM for a year, and just switched to a M240. I like the M240 much more, even though I primarily work with B&W. The M240 is simply a much better built and functioning camera. Using the EVF during very low light / night time shooting is a must for precision focusing.

I have had my M for just over a week now. I am very fond of it :)

I come to the M from an M2 and a Nikon D60 making the M comparatively

in a completely different league for me. Much of the comparisons that I

have been reading on here are discussing incremental changes from the

previous Leica models whereas, for me, this is a whole new world and I am

absolutely loving it :)

Hi there ;)

• Like 13

I have had my M for just over a week now. I am very fond of it :)

I come to the M from an M2 and a Nikon D60 making the M comparatively

in a completely different league for me. Much of the comparisons that I

have been reading on here are discussing incremental changes from the

previous Leica models whereas, for me, this is a whole new world and I am

absolutely loving it :)

Hi there ;)

[ATTACH]408408[/ATTACH]

Wow, from a D60 to a Leica M, must be quite a shock indeed!

D60 was my first digital camera, I have loved it but that is a serious upgrade you're making.

Like you the M will be my first Leica but I currently own a D800e and I doubt the comparison, in terms of picture quality, DR and high ISO, will be in favour of the M. However I expect discovering a completely new approach to photography. Can't wait to try!

• Like 1

[quote=Paulus;2528654

... I love my M.

Same here. Have had it for four months now. Coming from an M9 (and M6 and R6.2 previously) it is nice to be able to use some R-lenses also, on a single, improved body.

Initial lock-ups and occasional over/underexposure disappeared after the batteries matured, and these glitches presumably have been addressed for newer users after the firmware update.

I am only an (old) amateur though with about 1500 actuations so far, not 800 daily.

An example- let's say you're in a NYC cab at dusk and see a street vendor in an animated exchange. With the D800E (or any DSLR), the workflow inevitably involves:

- exposure lock on an appropriate part of the scene (not on the subject's face because it will overexpose and make it look like daylight); so you frame and lock exposure

- AF lock on the subject's face -- in between this and the above you are reframing and entering the AF lock mode vs AE lock (hope you have your settings right!)

- recompose and shoot

The cab has probably pulled away by now and you've missed the shot.

We haven't even discussed shutter and ISO.

Missed the shot? I think the street vendor would be dead by then.....

• Haha 1

Guest Essemmlee

I think someone mentioned earlier that the M was good, but the MM was a statement. In the real world of not looking at my B & W printed images with a magnifying glass I would have difficulty picking which camera took which image.

I have both and have tested them repeatedly. At A3 it is impossible to tell the difference. There is much talk of the MM dynamic range and the variation of mid-range greys but I can't see it. If RAW files from both cameras are passed through Silver Efex Pro, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference. Having said all that, maybe there are those with a keener eye than mine, or perhaps better technique.

The bottom line is that, in my opinion and only my opinion, (and I'm aware of how little value that opinion has) for the majority of users, black and white with the M is very close to the MM, and for colour the M beats it every single time.