I love my M

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three times 35 on black ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

sorry, the X1 produced some nasty red fringing there.Hard to get rid of. I only have LR on this laptop. It would be a doddle in Photoshop.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Love the "family portrait"!

What straps are those? They look just like what I've been wanting all this time?

The straps are from LuxeCase, but judging from their website, it seems like they may no longer make them. I have four of these straps for each camera, and have used them for about 8 years. They're super simple.

• Like 2

My M has plenty to live up to (and competition to face)!

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went out and shot VIDEO?!!! with the M all day yesterday. As a long time Leica film user, I love how this digital camera is still designed to be primarily a manual camera. I own a 5D and have used other digital cameras, but they all feel like I'm playing a video game. The M is intuitive and familiar to me, and I still feel very connected to the picture making process. While I'm still apprehensive about the switch, I must say that I'm so far really enjoying using this camera, and the results have been better than expected.

BTW: Kudos for this new Manfrotto tripod, which is pretty necessary if you're shooting video. It's by far the easiest to use of the other mini tripods I've used. It's not fussy and it has a simple quick release button that releases the ball head. I also use the tripod to brace the camera against my chest for somewhat more stable hand held shooting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Seeing as I have been quite vocal about my opinions on the new M in regards to the CMOS vs CCD debate, I think it is only fair that I also tell you guys about my positive experiences with the M.

I bought the M not for base iso (obviously if you've read about my ccd preference), but because I dislike how the M9 and the M8 function beyond base iso. And with the dark weather in The Netherlands during the winter AND because I get asked to photograph at other times and other places than where I can usually shoot at base iso, I got the M.

This weekend I had this wedding vows renewal thing to photograph, so I took my M. I was quite nervous about taking a M camera to a setting where the M9 would just be hit and miss. (Sure sometimes the M9 pictures come out nice at iso 1250 and if you're really lucky you can pump up iso beyond that, but really the hit and miss thing stays.)

And I have to say I am overjoyed at how it performed. Using a 50 summilux and a 28 summicron I got the pictures I wanted.

I was actually stunned at how it performed at a place where it was always almost impossible to take pictures because of the ugly and random temperature lighting.

I shot the whole thing at iso's of 1000 to 3200 and was able to salvage even badly exposed shots in lightroom to a degree that I never could before.

Basically the M did what I bought it for: it enables me to use my rangefinder camera at social indoor events. So kudos to Leica for delivering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing as I have been quite vocal about my opinions on the new M in regards to the CMOS vs CCD debate, I think it is only fair that I also tell you guys about my positive experiences with the M.

I bought the M not for base iso (obviously if you've read about my ccd preference), but because I dislike how the M9 and the M8 function beyond base iso. And with the dark weather in The Netherlands during the winter AND because I get asked to photograph at other times and other places than where I can usually shoot at base iso, I got the M.

This weekend I had this wedding vows renewal thing to photograph, so I took my M. I was quite nervous about taking a M camera to a setting where the M9 would just be hit and miss. (Sure sometimes the M9 pictures come out nice at iso 1250 and if you're really lucky you can pump up iso beyond that, but really the hit and miss thing stays.)

And I have to say I am overjoyed at how it performed. Using a 50 summilux and a 28 summicron I got the pictures I wanted.

I was actually stunned at how it performed at a place where it was always almost impossible to take pictures because of the ugly and random temperature lighting.

I shot the whole thing at iso's of 1000 to 3200 and was able to salvage even badly exposed shots in lightroom to a degree that I never could before.

Basically the M did what I bought it for: it enables me to use my rangefinder camera at social indoor events. So kudos to Leica for delivering.

:D:D:D

Love it, still struggling with the files though, have to adjust my work flow a bit!

Edited by jip
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finally,

Regards,

Edgard

• Like 6

I think someone mentioned earlier that the M was good, but the MM was a statement. In the real world of not looking at my B & W printed images with a magnifying glass I would have difficulty picking which camera took which image.

I have both and have tested them repeatedly. At A3 it is impossible to tell the difference. There is much talk of the MM dynamic range and the variation of mid-range greys but I can't see it. If RAW files from both cameras are passed through Silver Efex Pro, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference. Having said all that, maybe there are those with a keener eye than mine, or perhaps better technique.

The bottom line is that, in my opinion and only my opinion, (and I'm aware of how little value that opinion has) for the majority of users, black and white with the M is very close to the MM, and for colour the M beats it every single time.

I don't have an M, but have used an M9 before my MM and I've downloaded several M raw files to test. I don't agree with you on this point. If you use SE pro to hike up contrast and definition on your files you can make MM files look like M9 files, but take some care with your tonal range, don't overcook, and the MM files are quite apart.

I use the MM solely for the moment.

• Like 1

IF I remember correctly. Sean Reid tested both the MM and M240 side by side and based on his analysis the MM had a very small advantage of the M240. So perhaps after SEFEX Pro 2 there is very little difference.

I can tell you after passing RX-1 files through SFEX Pro 2 no on evan tell if the image was taken with an MM or RX-1. In fact many friends think most of my RX-1 shots in B&W were taken with my MM.

• 4 weeks later...

This week I went to my work seeing beautiful light.

Saint Michaels Castle " Sint Michielsgestel" Brabant - pauljoostenfotograaf

It's really good to have a camera on me, which can capture this light as I saw it! And as a bonus: Working below zero in a moist environment is also no problem. The camera kept working at minus 1 C while my feet were freezing. ;) . battery capacity dropped from 90% to 50% but was back at 60% again in the evening, so I did not even have to change batteries between two sessions.

I feel really lucky with such a camera and also with such a wonderful road to work!

• Like 4