Would the C be what I am looking for?

Cadfael_tex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Starting Christmas shopping and my wife has mentioned going and finding a point and shoot to keep in her purse. She's not that into photography so she wants something simple. She likes my Canon T4i a lot better than my X-Pro1 for example. She wants zoom and would prefer an EVF.

EVF's are getting hard to find in this world of iPad photographers. So far I've been leaning towards the Panasonic LF1/Leica C. I'm not sure the EVF is useful as it's so small.

Any thoughts on if the C would fit what she wants? Any recommendations for something better for her?

I look at it and it almost seems you get a better stats for the same price on MFT, Nikon CX and maybe the Sonys Nex. With a pancake it seems they would be about the same size. Any possibility down this path or is it just an empty rabbit hole?

TIA,

Tony

We all know the C type 112 is a rebadged LF-1 with better looks. I found an extensive review of the LF-1 here: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

I already ordered the C because I do not have lightroom and comparing prices the C is approx 70 Euro's more expensive but you get a better design and in case something goes wrong you can use the customer service in Solms.

The LF-1 was also reviewed in a French Photo Magazine and they seemed to like it.

At this moment there are 2 movies on youtube of the C type 112.

I have seen one in a shop today and it is a small camera, something you can take in the pocket of a shirt.

Best

Tony

The EVF is not tiny its .2 inches but magnifies at the eye, The Leica C has a 2 year G/Tee (Panny LF1 1 year). The C has better menus reprogrammed by Leica and internal firmware improvements.

Also Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (you will probably use that)

The C is better finished I prefer the Light champagne gold aluminium top plate and ivory body (I have bought one), also designed by Audi the C has a range of colour matching cases, covers and even a clutch purse.

The C has 3 auto point and shoot settings , a beginner would probably leave it on the one you show her is best (A,A+ and P)

regards

Jamie (UK)