M240 firmware FW 2.0.0.11 Update [Merged]

huckles

Leica Forum Blog has all details ;)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2013/10/leica-m-firmware-update-v2-0-0-11/

Until now (3 p.m.) the new firmware is only available via the German Leica website but software should include all language versions.

Update:

Now the English website has the update too:

Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA M

Andreas

BTW - the new firmware is tested by 30 forum members - thanks!

• Like 5

It's an easy and straightforward FW upgrade...initial observations are that skin tones are much improved and AutoWB is now very consistent frame to frame, making post much easier and faster. The AutoWB isn't perfect all the time, and can be tricked especially under mixed artificial lighting, but no camera from any manufacturer is ever 100% perfect in this.

• Like 1

Little disappointed they didn't provide the ability to at least turn off the movie button. Reassigning and even exposure comp I can live with till next round but how much code would have been needed to just turn off the dam movie button.

• Like 1

Little disappointed they didn't provide the ability to at least turn off the movie button. Reassigning and even exposure comp I can live with till next round but how much code would have been needed to just turn off the dam movie button.

It's Leica. Not Fuji. It's how they roll.

No problems uploading firmware. No glitches seem to be introduced.

Color and WB seems good. Color and WB OOC is much better than the RX1. Skin tones look fine now OOC. Huge improvement. Photos downloaded into LR now need very little, if any, PP work on color.

Seems to solve many of the bugs with no ill effect. I think Leica has done a good job for their first firmware release and it seems to address the major problem of the WB. Files look great.

Looking forward to the next release that I know a lot of folks hope addresses some of the wish list items and some other things. Personally, I'm glad Leica didn't wait to bundle that all together which, I assume, would have delayed this release that vastly improves the color.

I don't think "early adopters" are going to have any problems or surprises. I am confident that owners are going to be quite pleased with the color now. Go for it.

Rick

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 13

Guest WPalank

Any bets to how long before the first, "I can't get the firmware to load" (because the firmware has to be in the upper root directory) or 'I'm on a Mac and can't unzip or open the file" (that's because your system software or OS has already done that for you immediately on download)?

I give it 1 hour.

Any bets to how long before the first, "I can't get the firmware to load" (because the firmware has to be in the upper root directory) or 'I'm on a Mac and can't unzip or open the file" (that's because your system software or OS has already done that for you immediately on download)?

I give it 1 hour.

Just to be clear: This is not a problem with the software being buggy and not loading.

This would be a problem with the user not putting the file in the top or root of the SD card and realizing that on Mac you don't have to unzip the downloaded file.

I found no problems with the upload of this software. It is solid. I still recommend it and I don't foresee anybody having problems with it.

Guest WPalank
Just to be clear: This is not a problem with the software being buggy and not loading.

This would be a problem with the user not putting the file in the top or root of the SD card and realizing that on Mac you don't have to unzip the downloaded file.

I found no problems with the upload of this software. It is solid. I still recommend it and I don't foresee anybody having problems with it.

That is why I immediately followed with the solution. Clear as hell to me. Please read the parentheses. they look like this (), but with words in the middle

With every firmware update the Forum typically gets filled with people that will actually START threads with those problems.

• Like 1

AWB is greatly improved, and at least with my M, the red edge issue has improved somewhat, but still exists--more apparent with my 35 Summicron ASPH than with my 24 Elmar APSH. I hope Leica will continue to work on this issue. I know it is generally an alignment issue that can vary from body to body, lens to lens--so I am considering sending my M to Solms for a checkup (ughh).

Hmmm, can't say I'm impressed by what I'm seeing, which is kinda worrying considering I've just decided the buy the thing.

Does anybody that is speaking out in favour of the firmware have any pictures of before and after situations to show just how the awb handles things differently? At the moment it's only those that remain sceptical about the firmware that are posting such comparisons.

Just a chime in post to confirm and agree with Stephen and Rick's posts above. AWB, Colors OOC improved. Stability of LV function is improved. FW is stable and no downsides and considerable upside to upgrading. I have had no problems with red cornering with a 21 MM Leica SEL or 35MM Summicron. The 35 had no problems before update, the 21 MM was only shot with the updated FW.

Leica is aware of other issues like the preferences of some users to have Auto ISO function in Manual Mode, ISO settings displayed in red instead of white and being hard to read, instability at higher operating temps with shut downs and are getting FW out that corrects the most pressing issues ( Color Rendition) first.

• Like 1