A study in black and white: one year with the Monochrom

Guest borge

I've only read some of your review but I enjoyed what I've read so far and I will return to it. I found it to be comparable to what I am experiencing with less than a month of ownership of the Leica Monochrom M. Since it arrived I haven't touched my Canon DSLR -- which I'm keeping for those times when I feel the need for color -- but it seems I haven't felt that need. My favorite photos are my B&W work.

It is very difficult to describe the feeling I have with this new camera. Overall, it is the most exciting camera I have ever purchased, EVER!!! I feel the images have a special magic. Since purchasing the MM I hardly put it down. I almost always carry it with me. It is a great tool even in low light situations. The images don't mimic film, but they seem true to life in a way that is unique and convincing. B&W flesh tones are the best I've seen, even surpassing those of my much loved M8 which I have now sold. I feel with this camera as if I have found a tool that is an extension of my soul. There is no other way to describe it, and I have totally gotten over the shock of its price tag.

Thank you for your review and photos!

I'm attaching an example of what I mean by great flesh tones in very low light situations. This is a photo of singer Thurston Ray.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 1