Travel with a D-Lux 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have enjoyed my D-Lux 5 which I think excels at close-up photography and interiors. However the differences in image quality, when compared with my X cameras (X1 and X Vario), M8 and M9, show its weaknesses when relied on as a main travel camera. That conclusion is not not surprising (sensor sizes), and informs all my travel photography decisions. I would never rely exclusively on my D-Lux for those reasons, although, in extremis, it is quite capable of yielding publication quality pictures. But I still think it is a delightfully unobtrusive camera for personal photography.

Edited by wda
  • Like 6

I have just acquired a s/h D-Lux 6 and took it to Paris a fortnight ago as my only colour camera (madness I know!) after setting it up for RAW only; 4:3; Aperture priority, ISO200. I'd taken a couple of shots at home to try it, and then went on holiday. It proved to be an ideal set-up. Here is a grab shot, whilst walking after light rain.

I have printed this image at A3+ with a 2cm border.

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jpattison
  • Like 2

No complaints about the D-Lux 6 image quality here. It's a great "walk around" camera, if you have pockets large enough to accommodate it. My biggest worry is the lens cap. I refuse to dangle it from a string and am bound to lose it one day!

It might be slightly ugly, but the utility of the JJC automatic lens cap has enabled me to make quicker reaction pictures than hitherto when cap removal preceded picture-taking. I also have one on my X1 with no ill-effects. One less fiddly item to lose and often replace. :)

• Like 1

I suggest this is an exceptional small camera, next to my M8 and M9-P. The negative comments are utter rubbish. So, if you don't like it, try a Sony/Samsung/Nikon/Canon and you will see why you do not want anything else than this little gem. The automatic lens cap is useless and not at all needed if you attach a sun shade.

Edited by Thomv
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No complaints about the D-Lux 6 image quality here. It's a great "walk around" camera, if you have pockets large enough to accommodate it. My biggest worry is the lens cap. I refuse to dangle it from a string and am bound to lose it one day!

Lost mine first day. Put the filter adapter and filter on the lens. Devil may care.

• 2 weeks later...

Given that the OP has not returned to comment, can we say that maybe it was just a bit of trolling?

But, since the topic has been started. Let me give my experience.

In late April I purchased a D-Lux 6. And though I'm normally against the special editions —preferring to use my cameras rather than having them out on display— I found a great deal on the G-Star Raw edition. I like the design, and the extras —the case in particular— were helpful.

Anyway, since then I've traveled with that camera, my M9, and my normal snapshot cam, my iPhone 5s, to Mexico City, Turkey (Istanbul, Erzurum, and Ankara —including a wonderful 20 hour train ride across eastern Turkey, I stayed in a private cabin), Spain (Oviedo, Barcelona, Madrid), Ecuador, and Lima. As I'm currently in my office on campus, without access to my Lightroom library, I can only show these two sample pics that I had uploaded on Facebook. I apologize for any potential weird sharpening and any potential artifacts due to uploading, then downloading, then uploading again. I just wanted to share a couple of samples taken with my D-Lux 6 in Ecuador that I think point out this little camera's potential (as if you all needed more evidence).

The musician photo:

In an Andean village in Ecuador we were invited to participate in a traditional meal with a local community (I was co-leading a university program that focused on indigenous communities and biodiversity). A couple of musicians came in to perform.

The starry night photo:

We spent a couple of nights out in the Ecuadorian Amazon, on the border with Peru. There was no internet, no tv, and no cell phone service. It was us, a few wooden lodges out by the river, and the jungle. Our first night, I was stunned by the starry night. I decided to experiment with taking long exposures. First problem, I don't have a tripod. I set the camera on a chair and pointed up. This is a 30 second exposure, post-processed in Lightroom. Part of the lodge appears, as does a truck that was parked next to my chair tripod. Rather than crop them out, I thought they added an interesting element to the jungle and the sky.

En fin, I've greatly enjoyed traveling with the D-Lux 6. I have another six week trip coming up (hooray for research leave for a semester) where I'll be doing some lectures in Turkey and then flying to California for some talks in San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Jose, before flying on to Seattle to do some talks at universities over there. I'll have my cameras with me.

Here's my woefully underused website with my photo galleries. The photos are all taken with a variety of cameras, from my M9 to my old Epson RD-1 (with Leica 40mm lens), a Lumix GF1, and various iPhones.

Home - Fotos

Saludos,

S

• Like 6

Saludos, those are excellent photos. I have the same G-Star Raw version and find it to be an excellent carry everywhere camera. I have never owned a camera that I couldn't find some fault with, but in my opinion it's much more satisfying to exploit a camera's strengths than to harp on its weaknesses.

• Like 2

I have enjoyed my D-Lux 5 which I think excels at close-up photography and interiors. However the differences in image quality, when compared with my X cameras (X1 and X Vario), M8 and M9, show its weaknesses when relied on as a main travel camera. That conclusion is not not surprising (sensor sizes), and informs all my travel photography decisions. I would never rely exclusively on my D-Lux for those reasons, although, in extremis, it is quite capable of yielding publication quality pictures. But I still think it is a delightfully unobtrusive camera for personal photography.

David you are so right! Now the D2 was a different camera altogether although not really a compact camera as such. The recenty announced Digilux type 109 with it's 4/3 sensor and fast zoom lens might even eclipse the venerable D2.....I certainly hope so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on the setting for D-Lux 6 to capture Northern Lights

I'll be in Lapland and wants to make sure my camera setting is right when the lights appear....

The setting should be manual as I understand, and I'll need to get a tripod in place.

Really appreciate your great help

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

Because the D-lux 6 gets bulldozered by the 109, I loaded some pictures in Flickr to (p)raise the little camera as a travel companion. I love it. Thanks for watching.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129647056@N02/sets/72157650240796396/

• Like 1