New member, first Leica.

gilgsn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

This is my first post here..

UPS just dropped a Leica IIIc in my lap today :) I already got a Summitar 2/50 a couple days ago. The camera works fine, just a bit stiff and the slow speeds seems a bit, well, slow.. The ghost image in the viewfinder is barely visible. It needs a CLA, but what a great camera! Weighs a ton for it's small size!

I live in Sarasota Florida; used to work as a photographer for a daily newspaper in the late 80s. I never caught the digital bug and abandoned photography all together when those new electronic toys invaded.. Recently decided to get back to it, and of course with film, and my first Leica.

Gil.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new Leica and getting back into photography....especially film photography and a fully manual camera nonetheless! Isn't great when the photography gods drop a camera in your lap? What were you using when you were shooting for the newspaper back in the 80's?

I'm new here too having just got my first Leica M camera, an M5. I'm amazed by the initial results I've gotten, so I'm just going to look to master the camera and improve composition. Having used film and digital SLR's for years, shooting a rangefinder and working the aperture /shutter speed combinations manually (at least the M5 has a built in light meter....I've got to draw the line somewhere!) forces you to slow down and really think before you shoot.

I got bored pretty quickly shooting a dSLR for a few years. Yes, you get great results and the cameras have all the bells and whistles you need, and more, to shoot in practically any situation you find yourself in. However, I just started to lose interest in it and wondered what the hell am I doing this for. Go out, shoot, come home, pop the SD card in the computer, find the best shot, edit, post to Flickr or Facebook, done. I so needed to shoot film again and I couldn't think of a better camera than a Leica M to do it with.

Happy shooting!

• Like 1

Welcome.

You might like to add your info to this thread too http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/13842-ltm-users-its-time-stand-up.html

Sounds like your lllc could do with a CLA, that will certainly fix the 'stiffness' and slow speeds. The rangefinder should improve with a clean too, but if the double image is really faint it could require re-silvering. In the meantime try giving the viewfinder lenses a good clean, and make sure you aren't accidentally blocking the rangefinder window with a stray finger!