X2 good for portraits?

lwestley

Hello I am new here. I am contemplating on buying the X2. I mainly take family portraits. Is the X2 a good camera for portraits? Also thinking about the M8...

X2 is a very good camera with 35mm and aperture f 2,8.

X Vario, also a very good camera with zoom 28mm - 70mm. beetwen you can use also 35mm, 40mm, 50mm and 60mm with aperture from f 3,5 / f 5,0 / f 5,1 / f 5,6 / f 6,4.

br kmhb

• Like 1

Almost any modern Leica camera will be suitable for portraiture, depending on your precise requirements. Given a choice I would opt for a 50mm lens whose equivalent focal length you will only find on the X Vario. Search the forum and see what others have achieved with this X variant. The X2 is quite capable of producing excellent family pictures, groups people engaged in some activity or other. But for close-up head and shoulders shots, a longer focal length gives better perspective and provides some separation between camera and subject. I use the X1 and have achieved some engaging results of people in situations, rather than just 'mug-shots' or passport type pictures. However the lens is so good that you can safely enlarge the image and crop to your desired size.

And, a warm welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

it can do portraits.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice pic above. The biggest challenge is isolating the subject from the background. This is where a larger sensor, and a longer, faster lens can help. Careful composition, as above, will also help. Sometimes you want to take an environmental portrait, showing the subject in a setting. In that case, a 35-equiv focal length will be fine. Wide open, the X2 will be able to defocus the background slightly.

• Like 1

Nice video Bruno, I recall seeing it a while ago?

I ended up buying a used X1 and traveled the 7 weeks in Europe with it.

The biggest skeptic in me has been quashed, I loved it. Yes there were times I wanted a slightly longer or wider lens, but boy oh boy the few images I have "tweaked" so far have left me astounded. I need to print them and be sure, but on a 24" iMac monitor so far they look stunning.

Gary

Nice video Bruno, I recall seeing it a while ago?

I ended up buying a used X1 and traveled the 7 weeks in Europe with it.

The biggest skeptic in me has been quashed, I loved it. Yes there were times I wanted a slightly longer or wider lens, but boy oh boy the few images I have "tweaked" so far have left me astounded. I need to print them and be sure, but on a 24" iMac monitor so far they look stunning.

Gary

The X range is awesome for the price and weight, not than deeper as the M digital but come close.

If you can do portraits, any camera will do, a Fuji instant or a Leica S. It's not the camera that's important, but your skill.

I took this portrait of a fish-monger in South India with an x1, and I don't see any reason why I couldn't have taken the same picture with an x2.

Thomas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...