Sign in to follow this  
lwestley

X2 good for portraits?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello I am new here. I am contemplating on buying the X2. I mainly take family portraits. Is the X2 a good camera for portraits? Also thinking about the M8...

The X2 has an equivalent 35mm lens. Not an ideal 'portrait' focal length as such but good for groups and environmental portraits.

The M8 would offer you much more versatility, or you could also consider the X Vario if you prefer the X type of camera.

Hello I am new here. I am contemplating on buying the X2. I mainly take family portraits. Is the X2 a good camera for portraits? Also thinking about the M8...

X2 is a very good camera with 35mm and aperture f 2,8.

X Vario, also a very good camera with zoom 28mm - 70mm. beetwen you can use also 35mm, 40mm, 50mm and 60mm with aperture from f 3,5 / f 5,0 / f 5,1 / f 5,6 / f 6,4.

br kmhb

Almost any modern Leica camera will be suitable for portraiture, depending on your precise requirements. Given a choice I would opt for a 50mm lens whose equivalent focal length you will only find on the X Vario. Search the forum and see what others have achieved with this X variant. The X2 is quite capable of producing excellent family pictures, groups people engaged in some activity or other. But for close-up head and shoulders shots, a longer focal length gives better perspective and provides some separation between camera and subject. I use the X1 and have achieved some engaging results of people in situations, rather than just 'mug-shots' or passport type pictures. However the lens is so good that you can safely enlarge the image and crop to your desired size.

And, a warm welcome to the forum.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice pic above. The biggest challenge is isolating the subject from the background. This is where a larger sensor, and a longer, faster lens can help. Careful composition, as above, will also help. Sometimes you want to take an environmental portrait, showing the subject in a setting. In that case, a 35-equiv focal length will be fine. Wide open, the X2 will be able to defocus the background slightly.

I made this video about Barcelona, all with the x2, a few portraits

A wonderful series of people pictures and proof, if proof were needed, that it's the photographer not the camera or lens that produces portraits of such quality.

Nice video Bruno, I recall seeing it a while ago?

I ended up buying a used X1 and traveled the 7 weeks in Europe with it.

The biggest skeptic in me has been quashed, I loved it. Yes there were times I wanted a slightly longer or wider lens, but boy oh boy the few images I have "tweaked" so far have left me astounded. I need to print them and be sure, but on a 24" iMac monitor so far they look stunning.

Gary

Nice video Bruno, I recall seeing it a while ago?

I ended up buying a used X1 and traveled the 7 weeks in Europe with it.

The biggest skeptic in me has been quashed, I loved it. Yes there were times I wanted a slightly longer or wider lens, but boy oh boy the few images I have "tweaked" so far have left me astounded. I need to print them and be sure, but on a 24" iMac monitor so far they look stunning.

Gary

The X range is awesome for the price and weight, not than deeper as the M digital but come close.

If you can do portraits, any camera will do, a Fuji instant or a Leica S. It's not the camera that's important, but your skill.

I took this portrait of a fish-monger in South India with an x1, and I don't see any reason why I couldn't have taken the same picture with an x2.

Thomas