Sign in to follow this  
edmond_terakopian

1959 Lens & an 1890s Wine Bar

A fine atmospheric scene, Edmond. Knowing your liking for the Noctilux, what induced you to use this excellent much older lens? Was it just an experiment; or to show aspirants that you don't necessarily the latest and fastest lenses?

I think the young woman with film star smile lifts this scene onto a higher plane. I do like the hive of social activity.

A terrific shot. As Bill indicates, providing a link instead of placing an image directlty here will provide far fewer views since many of us will not click through. It would have been better to place an image here and provide a link to a "bigger" version on Flickr.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A fine atmospheric scene, Edmond. Knowing your liking for the Noctilux, what induced you to use this excellent much older lens? Was it just an experiment; or to show aspirants that you don't necessarily the latest and fastest lenses?

I think the young woman with film star smile lifts this scene onto a higher plane. I do like the hive of social activity.

Cheers :-)

I do love my Noctilux & it's still very much part of my tool set for image making. I've always been aware of the different renderings of lenses. I already have an old collapsible 50mm Summicron, but was firstly interested in the look of the 50mm Rigid Summicron, thanks to Thorsten, Jono and lately Birgid, so whilst in Richard Caplan sought one out. They didn't have one, but had this Summilux which felt so right in my hand I had to some tests. Ten minutes later I'd bought it! I just love it's look and feel (talking about imagery, not the lens itself) and it helps create a different type of image. I now have four 50mm lenses! Each one unique :-)

Edmond

Edmond, I have the same vintage rigid Summicron and keep it for the same reason. I bought mine new in 1966!

Edmond, I have the same vintage rigid Summicron and keep it for the same reason. I bought mine new in 1966!

Must be so great having the lens you bought all those years ago and shooting with it. Sadly during my career every time I upgraded, I sold or part exchanged older gear, so generally have very little older bits. Biggest annoyance was swapping out an entire Leica M and R film outfit for digital Nikon equipment when digital took a foothold in the press world. So wish I could have kept those lenses!!

Edmond

... I've always been aware of the different renderings of lenses. ...

Edmond,

In case you haven't stumbled upon it yet, you're likely to find some lens renderings of interest in The view through older glass thread.

Pete.

Cool but do prefer when images are uploaded to the forum as I'm also not a fan of clicking through links. Just my 2c...