Results, we want to see results on 1.102

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just so you know, here's what happens if you have a coded lens (24/2.8 asph in this example) and don't use a UV/IR filter, but turn on the correction anyway. This could happen if you switch lenses and have some filtered, others not. The pink corners will be even more dramatic if this happens to you with the WATE or with a Zeiss or Voigtlaender lens coded as a 21 or as a WATE:

scott

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have noticed the double-take in the viewfinder as well. I find it odd that it should show a poor-quality image followed by the higher res one.

I wonder if there is a thumbnail image in the dng file that the M8 is displaying while it unravels the compressed dng for secondary display.

Does jpg-only do this as well?

I have noticed the double-take in the viewfinder as well. I find it odd that it should show a poor-quality image followed by the higher res one.

I wonder if there is a thumbnail image in the dng file that the M8 is displaying while it unravels the compressed dng for secondary display.

Does jpg-only do this as well?

I can hear people screaming if there would be a delay before the first picture shows up :confused:

Not easy to please everybody :D, but I'm happy to see a result fast, so I can react if I forgot to remove the lenscap or did something else wrong. ;)

Best regards

KH

Sean Reid has just started to post a fairly extensive series of studies of how different lenses can be corrected with the new "lens detection ON+UV/IR" option for coded lenses on his website. I thought it might be interesting to go into a little more detail on the one coded lens that I currently work with, the Elmarit 24/2.8, and the one filter that i have to fit it, a B&W 486.

I've posted some white wall shots, done with indirect daylight illumination, with and without the filter, higher in this thread. Now let's look at how the red vignetting is corrected at all distances from the center of the image. It looks as if correcting the red/green balance is the focus of the firmware effort. Without a filter, it is very nicely corrected by the "ON" setting; with a filter it is very closely corrected by the "ON+UV/IR" setting:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curiously, the new setting gives a much weaker correction for vignetting in the blue and green channels than did the "ON" setting which was previously introduced and appears to be little changed in 1.102. Perhaps this is because overcorrection which causes an overall lightening around the edges in a picture looks very strange, while a little "burn-in" around the edges reinforces our sense of a frame around the image, and is quite acceptable. Here are the results, with and without a B&W 486 filter applied.

(Next question -- is there any internal accomodation to the lens aperture, which strongly influences overall vignetting, and is there accomodation to different color temperatures...?)

scott

I like 1.102, clearly it's the best iteration so far. For the shots below I had the CV 28/3.5 on the camera, and through a brain fart didn't have the 40/1.4 with me -- which is its purpose in life, to shoot stuff like this. It's just the right size, speed, focal length, and it's plenty sharp. It has kind of poor bokeh to my taste, but that makes no difference for newsprint. Yes, I'll get a Summicron 28 one of these days to complement the 40.

These were shot with 28/3.5 at ISO 1250, 1/10 and 1/16s respectively, no bracing or other supportive aids on hand. :) Plenty well defined for half page newsprint in tabloid size though.

L1120309-700.jpg

L1120319-700.jpg

The mscule car pictured was driven about 100mph by a teenage burglary suspect who collided with another driver. The other driver, a father of two, was killed, and the case is handled by SFPD homicide. (I decided not to photograph the victim or his completely destroyed vehicle.)

I'd say the camera is as vibration free and rock solid as my M6 in the 1/8-1/16 range with a 35mm lens (28 on the M8). (At 1/4 at least I can't produce a sharp image without something to brace against. It would be barely usable for newsprint.)