Results, we want to see results on 1.102

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good news Al yes leica did improve the color even more . Keep playing folks. We have a weekend coming and hopefully everyone can get out and shoot and have some fun

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must have done something good recently because on my second attempt, I got my Biogon 21 to code as a WATE. The interesting thing is if you set 21 mm on the menu, and take a photo. it shows 21 on the EXIF. If you take a photo while holding the frame lever to 29/90, it shows 18mm on the EXIF. Now if I can just get my 35 Biogon to code as a 35 Summicron when on the + filter setting I will be cooking with gas. BTW anyone in Europe had any filters recently. I bought a 43mm 486 because I needed it to get flash exposures right and knew it would be a couple of months until my Leica ones arrived plus I can only get a silver 43mm filter from Leica. I did not want to spend money needlessly on a 46mm filter for my 21mm as I knew it would need firmware correction or a lot of PS. Now that I have finally succeded in hand coding (yipee!), the filters would be nice.

Wilson

Not a rigorous test, just quick & dirty with the 1.102 Firmware. Both images with 24mm coded lens and B+W 486 F-Pro filter. First image is with lens [coding] detection "off"; second image is with lens detection + IR/UV "on". Only manipulations from RAW (in ACR 3.6) were "correcting" white balance/color temperature and slight lightening with levels - no color manipulations.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't know yet if they have «improved» the color but, judging from some quick shots I took inside, with B+W 486 filter and under tungsten and natural light coming from three windows (overcast day) it looks like they have shifted the entire spectrum of WBs towards a colder, blueish cast (lower temperature). What was okay at «Daylight» now needs «Cloudy», what was okay at «Cloudy» now needs «Shade», and so on. In other words, I need to pull up the temperature in C1 LE. And slide the tint towards «magenta» a bit sometimes (ironic).

No coded lens, BTW. C/V 21.

Am I the only one to see that?

Guest guy_mancuso

Oliver you have daylight and tungsten mixed lighting. The camera has no clue what to balance for and no camera will. you have 5400 kelvin coming in from the windows and 3200 kelvin coming from the lamps so what is good for one will suck on the other. So yes your going to have to tweak it to find a balance you like. And no AWB will be able to figure out if you prefer daylight or tungsten, it does not think like that it takes a mixed reading at best and sometimes may swing more to daylight or more to tungsten depending on what it sees as the stronger light source. You can't test color like this for a acurate answer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

Loaded 1.102 into the M8 yesterday and took it for a test run this A.M. to see how it would work with the cv 50 Nokton and NO Filter.

Exposure were: ISO 160

Comp: -1/3

WB Daylight

Blue Herons at F 4- 5.6

Portraits at 1.5

Camera was set to DNG + Jpeg Fine

Images were processed in C1 as DNG and moved to PSCS2 for final finishing.

More to report later after shooting at night.

Gary

Gary I. Rothstein, Photography

Oliver you have daylight and tungsten mixed lighting. The camera has no clue what to balance for and no camera will. you have 5400 kelvin coming in from the windows and 3200 kelvin coming from the lamps so what is good for one will suck on the other. So yes your going to have to tweak it to find a balance you like. And no AWB will be able to figure out if you prefer daylight or tungsten, it does not think like that it takes a mixed reading at best and sometimes may swing more to daylight or more to tungsten depending on what it sees as the stronger light source. You can't test color like this for a acurate answer.

Sorry, Guy, I should have been more specific. The tungsten and daylight shots were different shots. I first did a series under tungsten, without daylight, then I did a series under daylight (overcast) coming from three windows. In both instances the «As shot» WB temp. in C1 had to be brought up to match the original, whereas with 1.09 and 1.092 at least «Cloudy», «Daylight» and «Shade» were pretty (not entirely) accurate. I still had to tweak them in C1 but, I think, not that much.

Olivier:

I noticed that with the UV/IR turned on in the menu, the M8 images are less blue. This is with coded lenses though. Even the presets have changed when looking at them in Lightroom. You might want to code your lenses to get better colour.

Robert

Hi,

this is a quick shot today in my office - 2.0/90mm at F4, C1, linear profile and with 486 filter. WB on the wall. I just changed Exposure slightly (+0.3), as I was shooting with a soft box and "metering" was with my thumb :rolleyes:

I really like the colours of the new firmware :)

j6.jpg

Best regards

KH

Finally managed to "code" my CV 15 with a post-it note (still waiting for a proper Leitz 9cm adapter) and an Edding CD marker from (UK) Rymans.

Some of the diagrams on the internet have the black mark the wrong way in the sequence - if you look at the camera face on, the black position is second from the bottom (not the top, as I've been trying for many hours!)

Pic is with cv 15mm (@f8), B+W 486 39mm (attached the correct way round i.e. filter thread closest to lens element), correction menu set to 16mm

I'm delighted with this result...seems perfect (albeit from only a few pictures so far). Also, having struggled for hours with pshop, masks, gradient fills etc, I could not get a result as good as this.

I will snap some more this weekend to see whether I really need to buy the leica IR cut filter...

I did not do any other adjustments except to bump up the exposure a little so I can see better ... and a pale wall was chosen to reveal color shifts ...

I noticed a slight magenta on the corners instead of the cyan now; especially, the lower right corner of the 1st one.

M8, Zeiss 21mm Biogon ZM, B+W 486 IR cut; new firmware 1.102; DNG; Lens Detection=ON + UV/IR

Guest guy_mancuso

Little PR gig i shot yesterday 2 WATES at 21 and a 28 cron , clean as can be