Results, we want to see results on 1.102

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well you have the new 1.102 loaded and you went out to try it. So what do you think is the magenta and cyan cast a brief memory now. LOL

How are the results??????

Been biting my tongue for weeks to see if the M8 users are loving this or ready to drop kick it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy -

So I'll respond to your appeal. It's miserable weather here so I've had to resort to walking around inside, making up tough mixed lighting situations with all manner of artificial fabrics. My 24mm elmarit is on the camera. Tried it with and without a B+W filter and with and without the filter correction turned on. Bottom line: the filter shoots the magenta cast problem in the head and the new firmware appears to shoot the cyan corners problem in the head. I'm going to have to fuss with profiles for a bit to see how far I can push toward getting good color. Samples shot as raws and processed in C! - white balance off of gray card in upper left, except in the second image wb was copied from the third:

No filter, lens recognition turned off (the jacket on the left is teal, the running pants black, the door and trim more or less warm white - lighting is tungsten - generic C1 M8 profile):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

With filter but without lens recognition:

With filter and with lens recognition + filter:

That pretty much tells the story. Someone else can do skin tones. The teal is slightly too blue but I suspect that the right profile would fix that.

Is this what others are seeing?

BTW auto WB in tungsten light is still kind of arbitrary.

I just downloaded the firmware, went outside with my 28 coded cron and 486 filter, took a few shots (it's almost 6pm here so I don't expect the most accurate daylight color), came back in and made a print. I am now looking at one of the most gorgeous digital prints I have ever seen. No magenta cast whatsoever, no cyan corners whatsoever. Now I am seriously considering selling off some of my Canon gear to get another M8.

My results on hand coded lenses with B+W UvIr cut filters are as follows:

I have a 21mm elmarit (1991, canadian) that I have coded as value 1 from the table. I photographed the computer monitor (crt) showing an all white desktop-with lens detection on (only) - cyan corners, with lens detection + UvIr on I have red corners. Same with 28mm elmarit (1983, canadian) I have coded as value 2, which would be third version elmarit-now this might not be right, I am not sure if the canadian 28mm was third version or fourth version. It is serial 35593xx.

conclusions-well for photograhing white crt's it is not great, but since this is a phosphorescence type of light I guess it is not correctable with the filters on.

need to see some real situations so I will enable it for now.

What I have noticed is that the cyan drift is not uniform across the frame-in other words the cyan is sometimes more on one side than on the other, and I beleive it is similar to polarization in that it is dependent on the angle relative to the light source, usually the sun. But this might also just be a difference in vignetting overall, except that I was under the impression that the cyan drift would be uniform across the frame in all cases, which is how Leica designed the correction. Any opinions here?

Guest guy_mancuso

The 24mm looks very clean and yes folks leica has tweaked the color from what i can tell. But the good part with filters and on it becomes a global tweak for us so that is the good news for sure.

Robert shooting white cards in weird light from a monitor may not be so true to begin with. I use sidewalks a lot to give me a good clue

[quote name=guy_mancuso

Robert shooting white cards in weird light from a monitor may not be so true to begin with. I use sidewalks a lot to give me a good clue[/quote]

Well I actually used the white of the monitor light itself, but since it is from phosphorescence, I believe it is probably not a good indicator.

I agree tho, I can test tomorrow in the studio with strobe which will be the "clinical" version, and I can also test with just the modeling lights, all on white seamless. I like sidewalks too, although in ny they are all weird colors...:)

Currently preparing prints for ICP members day on saturday, portfolio review, and I am getting "good" at radial corrections in Ps for cyan corners...

Guest guy_mancuso

Great Robert love to here what the 21mm does in a controled set on the WATE the 21mm setting looked very good so hoping the 21mm elmarit does the same

Guy, to be truthfull I'm a bit scared to download it. The 1.092 is working perfectly and I haven't had any of the cyan/magenta problems. I'm going to wait to see how it does for others...if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

I always made a backup of the old version, so i can go back to the previous version if the new doesnt work fine

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, to be truthfull I'm a bit scared to download it. The 1.092 is working perfectly and I haven't had any of the cyan/magenta problems. I'm going to wait to see how it does for others...if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

John not to worry i been running it for a couple weeks and seems good just the fast scrolling one and that was it

Guy,

I just downloaded and installed it. My biggest problem with the original version software was shooting under tungsten light. So far with no filter and UV/IR filters the color seems better corrected out of the camera. With UV/IR filter the color is really close, about 2.5 cc magenta. Without filter, the color is better than before, about 10 cc magenta shift. The corners with a hand coded unfiltered 21 Elmarit with lens detection on have a better corner rendition. It appears that there is less vignetting than before. With the 35 Summicron Asph with filter, the corners do not have any cyan cast.

I think that Leica is on the right track!

Thanks for your input to Leica!

Al

jumping-smiley-017.gif*impatient!!* Where are my filters Leica.. I have all I needed to buy myself but I am waiting for my 21 mm Biogon ones... You give me this firmware and I cannot try it out smilie_tischkante.gif

Jaap,

Have you hand coded your 21 Biogon and if so as what. Given that it looks to be set to rain all day here, I might have another go at hand coding. I was thinking now of trying to code it as a WATE and then setting 21mm.

Wilson

Jaap,

Have you hand coded your 21 Biogon and if so as what. Given that it looks to be set to rain all day here, I might have another go at hand coding. I was thinking now of trying to code it as a WATE and then setting 21mm.

Wilson

No Wilson, it is my Zeica Elmagon 21/2.8, see this thread:

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20663-zeica-21-2-8-a.html?highlight=zeica

No Wilson, it is my Zeica Elmagon 21/2.8, see this thread:

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20663-zeica-21-2-8-a.html?highlight=zeica

Jaap,

Thank you for that info and the pictures on the other thread. I don't think it is going to help me as I want to end up with a Leiss Bimarit 21/2.8

Wilson