M9 ISO Performance - New Life

colonel

Guest malland

Come now, Erl, if you haven't used LR for several years your statement is not helpful to anyone, considering that there have been great improvements even just last year: as Jim Kasson states on the first page of this thread, LR4 and LR5 use process PV2012, which compresses like film rather than clipping highlights — a big improvement over the earlier process PV2010. Also, LR5 has a new Radial Filter tool that is very good for dodging and burning.

As for me, I haven't used C1 for some three years, so I would not make any comparative claim.

—Mitch/Paris

Tristes Tropiques [WIP]

I have LR5, and C1 v7. I am now using C1 almost exclusively. Yes LR new engine is better than the old, but C1 is still better and has more features.

To me C1 V6 was a mess, and the LR5 seemed like an improvement. But there are somethings even in LR5 you need PS for, like layers. The dodge and burn in LR5 is an improvement to previous versions of LR, but a joke compared to PS.

Now with C1 v7, they have cleaned up C1, and provided a proper catalog, so if you like the LR way of organizing it's there now. C1 also has layers, and dodge and burn (similar to PS). I get better results, and I don't have to deal with PS CC to get the features I want.

Edited by swamiji

Come now, Erl, if you haven't used LR for several years your statement is not helpful to anyone, considering that there have been great improvements even just last year: as Jim Kasson states on the first page of this thread, LR4 and LR5 use process PV2012, which compresses like film rather than clipping highlights — a big improvement over the earlier process PV2010. Also, LR5 has a new Radial Filter tool that is very good for dodging and burning.

As for me, I haven't used C1 for some three years, so I would not make any comparative claim.

—Mitch/Paris

Tristes Tropiques [WIP]

Fair go Mitch, I was not trying to be helful to anyone. I was simply stating a preference, which I carefully qualified. My choice was based on comparison at the time. Based on later posts in this thread, it seems the comparison has not really changed much. Both softwares have clearly improved. I am not interested in constantly comparing software. I am perfectly happy with C1. Even if LR is better, the drag of changing over has no appeal.

I suggest it's a bit like saying Kodak film is better than Fuji! :D

It's really only a matter taste.

Edited by erl

This is a terrifically educational thread. It appears that most of it is applicable to the M-Mono as well (except for some of the color fidelity issues, of course.)

Would someone care to elaborate on taking a similar approach to exposure/base ISO with the Mono?

HFL

Guest malland
This is a terrifically educational thread. It appears that most of it is applicable to the M-Mono as well (except for some of the color fidelity issues, of course.)...Would someone care to elaborate on taking a similar approach to exposure/base ISO with the Mono?..
Harry, it's likely to be ISO 1250, but requires testing: see this post.

I got good results with the M-Monochrom at ISO1250 and pushing in LR5, but I have not run any comparative test against increasing in-camera ISO. Below are three examples pushed 1,2 and 3 stops. Of course, with the M-Monochrom there is less reason to use this technique from the point of view of noise reduction; but it has a great advantage in having much more dynamic range, which can be important for lighting situations in which the "correct" exposure may be difficult to determine — considering that the M-Monochrom shot at ISO5,000 and 10,000 has little dynamic range. Also, using this push technique, you won't blow out highlights.

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 1 stop | f/4.0 | 1/125 sec

9631719865_d3d7fae48d_b.jpg

Paris

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 2 stops | f/4.0 | 1/250 sec

9627929890_46af844c6f_b.jpg

Paris

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 3 stops | f/4.0 | 1/250 sec

9627926144_538e8641e5_b.jpg

Paris

—Mitch/Paris

Tristes Tropiques [WIP]

Edited by malland

Harry, it's likely to be ISO 1250, but requires testing: see this post.

I got good results with the M-Monochrom at ISO1250 and pushing in LR5, but I have not run any comparative test against increasing in-camera ISO. Below are three examples pushed 1,2 and 3 stops. Of course, with the M-Monochrom there is less reason to use this technique from the point of view of noise reduction; but it has a great advantage in having much more dynamic range, which can be important for lighting situations in which the "correct" exposure may be difficult to determine — considering that the M-Monochrom shot at ISO5,000 and 10,000 has little dynamic range. Also, using this push technique, you won't blow out highlights.

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 1 stop | f/4.0 | 1/125 sec

9631719865_d3d7fae48d_b.jpg

Paris

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 2 stops | f/4.0 | 1/250 sec

9627929890_46af844c6f_b.jpg

Paris

M-Monochrom | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 pushed 3 stops | f/4.0 | 1/250 sec

9627926144_538e8641e5_b.jpg

Paris

—Mitch/Paris

Tristes Tropiques [WIP]

Thanks, Mitch. Getting more dynamic range and avoiding blowing the highlights are pretty important.

In my case, the final output of creating an image is a B&W print. That also defines what kind of photography interests me. It also pushes me further toward swapping my M9 for an MM.

HFL

• Like 1

One more possible reason to do a LR push on the MM is the buffer size.

Below ISO 2500 I get 7 frames; at and above 2500 only 4 frames continuous.

Mind you the MM is more about the single decisive moment than rapid fire; I recon I could rewind the film in a M6 and load a new roll before a MM with full buffer finishes writing.

• 2 weeks later...
One more possible reason to do a LR push on the MM is the buffer size.

The "pick a low ISO, pick the minimum acceptable shutter speed and the widest acceptable aperture and do the rest in post" approach also means no bracketing, which tends to fill up that tiny buffer PDQ.

Jim

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
Have you considered that the 'all sorts of lighting' might be responsible, at least in part, for the 'funky looking lips'? Colour is directly influenced by lighting.

I think we all know that color is influenced by lighting.

However, the M9 clearly has a problem with magenta skin tones and lips in many circumstances. You only have to be standing next to someone who is taking the same photo as you, but using an iPhone to see how bad the M9 sensor is in this regard. It has nothing to do with user ignorance and everything to do with an inconsistent chip -one that is outstanding in many circumstances and terrible in many others.

I think we all know that color is influenced by lighting.

However, the M9 clearly has a problem with magenta skin tones and lips in many circumstances. You only have to be standing next to someone who is taking the same photo as you, but using an iPhone to see how bad the M9 sensor is in this regard. It has nothing to do with user ignorance and everything to do with an inconsistent chip -one that is outstanding in many circumstances and terrible in many others.

John, I don't know how many pages back you found that comment of mine. Certainly I don't remember the context.

Regardless, if you prefer an iPhone to am M9 you are free to use it. My mind boggles at all the attendant limitations of using any phone for what I do, but that is another issue. As for the colour palette of the M9 I can only say, in my experience it is fine, provided I use an IR cut filter (my choice) and I don't ignore the ambient light. Typically, fluorescent light is an obscenity, IMO.

Mixed lighting is another issue, also problematic. To believe these lighting scenarios are trouble free is to declare a loose sense of critique, IMO.

• Like 2

I've always been an "Underexposurer" and now that I got an M 9, I can't thank you more for this info regarding the exact 640 ISO thing ;-) I didn't know the magic number on the M9 and probably other cameras was 640!

I'm using LR 5 and the ability to recover underexposed images is becoming fantastic with each new version.

thanks for sharing Colonel.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I wanted to create a profile for this trick in the M9 for lowlight: Auto ISO with highest value 640, at least 1/60 or even 1/125 shutter speed and an exposure compensation downwards.

How many units can I underexpose to get the best effect? 2/3? 1 or even more?

Does anyone there have experience that they are willing to share? Thank you very much!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

This one was pushed +2 in LR4.4 from 640. Original file was little bit darker for my taste. I pushed it two stops and added blacks, contrast and cut highlights.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For me, if I'm limiting my M-E at ISO400 or ISO640, the best way is to leave shutter on auto and no limit.

In real life, if it is low light and your camera is limited double (ISO and shutter), then maximum what you will recover is this:

It is full frame, no crop. M-E set for 640 and limited at 1/60 on this. It was taken during not late evening in Manhattan on one of the major street. 8th, I think.

Edited by Ko.Fe.