M240 in vertical position always overexposes

bab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just an FYI.....

I find my M240 when set to Classic and Center Weighted shooting in the vertical position exposes +1/3 to +2/3 to the right. And when in the Horizontal position it exposes -1/3 to -2/3 to the left underexposed.

While reviewing 150 images from a street shoot it was my first time using Lightroom 5 in the library mode, I thought I would correct all of the exposures with the exposure panel.

As I'm going thru the exposures I notice that only a few images are perfect exposure and 90% of the horizontal images are under exposed by -1/3 to -2/3 of a stop (to the left). So I'm going thru clicking on the right arrow to increase the exposure and every time I get to some vertically shot images they are too bright HUH! All of the vertical images except for one are overexposed by +1/3-+2/3 of a stop.

So you ask did I check for the Red exposure dot and verify every image was metered correctly for the most part but that would not result in the majority of consistency's I now see.

I also see that with the background being mostly white or a lot of the background white the image tends to overexpose from the meter reading when shooting with my 50 lux but when I'm shooting with my 21mm its still underexposed by -1/3 to -2/3 of a stop.

It is up to you to set the exposure to a 12 or 18% grey.

Take an even tone wall , note if exposure recommendation is the same for portrait & landscape orientation. The follow thru with actual exposure.

Check the manual to see if there is some algorithm at work.

Personally I set the camera to M and avoid the situation.

The metering field in centreweighed mode is oval ( see the FAQ: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/130720-leica-m8-m8-2-m9-m9p-4.html#post1997160 )

When you hold the camera vertical considerably more of fore- and background will be considered for the exposure than when you hold the camera horizontally. So yes, your findings are logical.

An exposure meter will measure objectively. It is up to the user to understand the system and interpret the readings.

Images which have a pronounced light intensity difference ( the proverbial black horse in the snow,or the bright light in the night) will need to be interpreted by the user and have an appropriate correction of the measured value applied. Due to the wider angle of view this effect is more pronounced on wideangles.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This behaviour is particularly noticeable when you are using a wide angle lens in portrait with centre weighted exposure. I find I have to tilt the camera downwards to pick up an exposure in this situation and then lock with a half press of the shutter button or else you pick up too much sky exposure. Luckily Leica has given us a solution with the M. You change the exposure mode to advanced and then the weighting to spot and the whole problem goes away, at the cost of slightly increased start up time, shutter delay and battery consumption. You can like I have, set this up as a profile, to which I change when using wide (25mm downwards) angle lenses. My normal setting is classic exposure mode and centre weighting.

Wilson

• Like 3