What would be the best Leica compact to take to India with me and my M240

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just watched a youtube video of the D-Lux 6 and it looks great and then up pops a add for the Sony RX1 so I went and had a look at that puppy and wow...............how sweet is that to put in a jacket pocket t accompany my M or carry to the rig in Nigeria....................is there a way to scramble the EXF files of this Sony camera so that I can still post pictures on the Leica Forum:):)

As others suggest a Panasonic (D-Lux6), have a look at the Sony RXII with EVF. IQ wise it clearly sets the gold standard among the pocketable versatile solutions. If versatility is not the main concern, the new Ricoh GR with OVF is a superb compact solution with excellent lens and aps-c sensor.

for me RX100 II its much better then Leica Dlux 6

I will get the D Lux 6 and buy a EVF to go with it.................I want Leica as I like posting on the Leica Forum and that is not possible with a say Sony

The Panasonic LF1 has a Leica branded lens, so it's eligible for posting. The lens is 2.0 at the wide end and the camera has a built-in EVF. I haven't seen reviews but the features seem just right.

John

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and where you will keep M240 while shooting with small compact?

maybe better care about M240 ....its not first time that when i'm traveling someone is trying to stole my photo equipment

Maybe better stay at home:D

• 3 months later...

A month ago, I bought the Panasonic LX7, which is essentially the D-Lux 6 in Panasonic clothing. ;) Even though I ploughed the usual amount of internet research into it, and asked dozens of questions on forums, I was still a little apprehensive when I bought it.

It has exceeded my expectations!

Set at 16:9 ratio, the 24mm lens becomes more like 21.5mm with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Much wider than any other pocket camera on the market, and with the widest aperture, to boot.

It is a fast, responsive camera with excellent image quality for a small sensor; even sharper in the centre than my beloved Ricoh GRD III, which has the sharpest lens of any other pocket camera I've used. It handles skin tones more naturally and pleasantly than the Ricoh, too. As much as I love the GRD III, it really doesn't do skin very well. The LX7 is a dream come true in comparison.

The raw files respond very well to postprocessing, and the superb OIS allows me to take bracketed shots that I can then merge into a three-layer image with Enfuse in Lightroom. This gives me more dynamic range and less noise than the usual single image. Not bad for a tiny sensor cam!

The ability to shoot a burst of 11fps in full size raw is like nothing I've had in a pocket camera - I was just at a marathon and shooting runners as they came across the finish line, and the capability to capture them in full flight was amazing.

All in all, it is a wonderful complement to a large sensor camera, be it a M9, 240, or X1/2/Vario. And it stands well by itself as an everyday pocket camera. After using it for only a week, I wished I had bought one sooner, but I'm very glad to have one now.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
A month ago, I bought the Panasonic LX7, which is essentially the D-Lux 6 in Panasonic clothing. ;) Even though I ploughed the usual amount of internet research into it, and asked dozens of questions on forums, I was still a little apprehensive when I bought it.

It has exceeded my expectations!

Set at 16:9 ratio, the 24mm lens becomes more like 21.5mm with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Much wider than any other pocket camera on the market, and with the widest aperture, to boot.

It is a fast, responsive camera with excellent image quality for a small sensor; even sharper in the centre than my beloved Ricoh GRD III, which has the sharpest lens of any other pocket camera I've used. It handles skin tones more naturally and pleasantly than the Ricoh, too. As much as I love the GRD III, it really doesn't do skin very well. The LX7 is a dream come true in comparison.

The raw files respond very well to postprocessing, and the superb OIS allows me to take bracketed shots that I can then merge into a three-layer image with Enfuse in Lightroom. This gives me more dynamic range and less noise than the usual single image. Not bad for a tiny sensor cam!

The ability to shoot a burst of 11fps in full size raw is like nothing I've had in a pocket camera - I was just at a marathon and shooting runners as they came across the finish line, and the capability to capture them in full flight was amazing.

All in all, it is a wonderful complement to a large sensor camera, be it a M9, 240, or X1/2/Vario. And it stands well by itself as an everyday pocket camera. After using it for only a week, I wished I had bought one sooner, but I'm very glad to have one now.

Love mine too
  • Like 1

The D-LUX 6 is excellent as a "always with me" camera and for table top shooting and some macros too. The technical quality of pictures is better than expected by such a small camera and it is a silent one. So it is a very good completion of my M 240 and my 5 D III system. I use the D-LUX 6 together with the external electronic viewfinder (not always) and have bought the Panasonic adapter to make it possible to apply 37 mm filters - in my case a polarizer, a grayfilter and an UV filter (all from B&W). As These filters are very small, I can always have them with me - the UV filter is mounted in the adapter, if the other 2 are not in use.

• 2 months later...
I will get the D Lux 6 and buy a EVF to go with it.................I want Leica as I like posting on the Leica Forum and that is not possible with a say Sony

Good Choice , i got the D-Lux6 with the grip and the viewfinder , beautiful colors , iq , auto WB , just stick with Leica !!!