1.102 Problem thread

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, me too. Here's two back-to-back frames from my grandson's chucky cheese birthday party while testing the firmware.

contact me for prints.

Skippy:

In a case like your birthday photos, it is best to just take the white napkin and use it for a manual white balance using the manual white balance setting of the M8. This will get all your shots consistent.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I noticed that Instant Image review (mine is set to 3 secs) after a shot sometimes shows a garbled white noise screen instead of the image shot. Later playback works fine. Happens for about 5-10% of the shots, randomly.

Made thousands of shots with the camera, never once saw this with prior firmwares. Noticed this repeatedly in last few days since upgrading.

Anyone else seeing this?

I upgraded from 1.9 directly to 1.102. I shot about 100 shots today (my first shooting since upgrading) and on 3 or 4 of my shots instead of seeing the review image on the LCD after shooting I saw a venitian blind effect of white and black stripes (and one time they were red and black stripes) but no image. The image was there on Play though. I wasn't able to see any correlation to anything I did. I have a feeling I read something about this problem starting at some earlier firmware update but can't remember (feeling slightly overwhelmed by the amount of Leica reading I've been doing recently). Anyone else getting this?

I got this with version 1.092. Didn't effect the image, as you state, and only happened once (so far).

Hi,

I noticed that Instant Image review (mine is set to 3 secs) after a shot sometimes shows a garbled white noise screen instead of the image shot. Later playback works fine. Happens for about 5-10% of the shots, randomly.

Made thousands of shots with the camera, never once saw this with prior firmwares. Noticed this repeatedly in last few days since upgrading.

Anyone else seeing this?

I get this too. Also saw a new one today where I took a shot and it only presented the prior shot on review, then on playback I got the actual shot. I had a new problem tonight when using playback the camera locked up and I could not turn it off withut removing the battery. It is looking to me like there are still serious bugs in this release. The problem is that many of the bugs are random and hard to make repeat. I hope this isn't a sign that the camera is dying on me. I see others having some of these issues so it isn't just my camera but other issues I am having have not been reported by others yet. Should I worry?:confused:

I get this too. Also saw a new one today where I took a shot and it only presented the prior shot on review, then on playback I got the actual shot. I had a new problem tonight when using playback the camera locked up and I could not turn it off withut removing the battery. It is looking to me like there are still serious bugs in this release. The problem is that many of the bugs are random and hard to make repeat. I hope this isn't a sign that the camera is dying on me. I see others having some of these issues so it isn't just my camera but other issues I am having have not been reported by others yet. Should I worry?:confused:

Hmmm... cannot speak to the lock-up, nor your surmise of "serious bugs", but I find the "play" function somewhat flawed, and not with this f/w alone. I have only opted to capture JPEG while using the system early on, in November 2006, with f/w 1.06... since then I've captured only DNG file data. Oh, and I do not use "Auto Review" ever, since first use of the system.

What baffles is the in-built programming to "optimize" the captures when selecting "play". These "optimized" views of the captures are, in my case, culled from the DNG file and presented to the tiny LCD in false colors to what a direct conversion from DNG yields. I should be clear: the initial "play" redering is nearly correct, then a wildly false interpretation of this data is re-presented. While the histogram presented selecting "info" is reasonably correct, the "optimized" image is "nutzlos, nur abfaelle"(read: not at all useful and a waste). I suspect this is due to my system's "Lens Detection" set to "Off".

Thus: please stop the senseless "optimization"(sic) of image data in the "play" function.

It's false, and consumes processing cycles/battery/customer experience... at least for "only DNG" shooters.

rgds,

Dave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dave,

It does it with lens detection on or off or on with filters. I too find it irritating and can see no use for it whatsoever. The only serious bug I am concerned about is the lock up which it never did under 1.092. When I say serious, I mean the randomness of the bugs. I can't yet determine what causes a particular anomoulous behavior. This concerns me because as a software developer it probably means that it is an interaction error (communications error) between the two halves of the unit which are running independently from one another. Finding and fixing these kind of bugs can be very difficult. My other concern is that it can lead to other problems like the lock up I experienced.

Yes John i will report these the one i have not seen at all with a big color shift

I also have the:

1. wheel problem

2. Ocacsional skipping of photos while browsing with the left/right arrows

3. Venetian Blind

I can live with these for a while,

BUT MOST IMPORTANT:

4. I lost a lot of photo oppurtunities today in the Camera show in Istanbul, because the camera DIDNOT wake up, after a while. The only way to start again was NOT by shutting the camera off/ and on again. I could only preview and stop preview, before taking the next shot. happened at least 10 times. I removed the battery, tried everything but it did not help. Now I came home, and nothing happens. ıt just keeps on working. (conditions: VF at 35 mm, lens uncoded, lens recognition ON, but no filter alternative, battery abt 50%, DNG, 160 or 320ISO, 5min shutoff, lens Voigtlander 35mm with adapter).

By the way, Leica stand was better than most, and my M( was like a passport for talking to everyone.) I told the Leica guy that I like the M8 better than D2X in many conditions like this, and the Nikon rep overheard me saying that. I had to talk to him for at least 15 minutes on RF and stuff like that.

Anyway, M( camera was all OK last weekend. I took around 200 photos with all conditions, same lenses etc. with 1.092

Now I want to go back to 1.092. Is that possible? Maybe I'll try now, and report if there is a problem. If not, after testing tomorrow, I will re-download the 1.102 (just in case file was corrupted) and reinstall the new firmware.

With 1.102 I have had:

1. Lock up on playback (twice) - physically turning camera off still allowed me to access all menu functions. This was cured by very briefly removing battery.

2. Zebra stripes (once - no damage done to picture)

The bugs that are starting to show up are the ones that I am most concerned about. The intermitent nature and the other problems it creates are what need to be fixed. I am considering going back to 1.092 where the primary issues appear to be poor white balance and the cyan corners. I may go back to 1.091 then upgrade directly to 1.102 and see if that helps. Very erratic behavior.

Skippy:

In a case like your birthday photos, it is best to just take the white napkin and use it for a manual white balance using the manual white balance setting of the M8. This will get all your shots consistent.

Sure, I understand that and do it all the time when shootng assignments.

My point was to see if the new firmware has improved the auto white balance. The light at Chucky Cheese was incredibly varied and I figured those conditions would put the new firmware's AWB through its paces like nothing else could. Plus I was shooting b/w jpgs along with the raw files to see if there were any differences in the new firmware.

I know how to manualy set a white balance.

Got my M8 back from Solms yesterday. Mine was the one that died and revived at Solms and shipped back with the hardware update but no repair. It had 1.092 loaded, so I updated to 1.102. So far its been perfect, no zebra stripes, no turn on anomalies, no slot machine turn wheel probelm, no battery issues. Have my fingers crossed.

I do find it a hassle to go between coded and uncoded lenses, with and without IR cut filters. So I am beginning to believe coding is the best answer (rather than menu selection).

Alan

I loaded 1.092 again yesterday, and everything started working as it was. I think 1.102 has bugs, related to lens optimization.

Now at least I don't lose any shots. I just have to live with the wheel problem.

Regarding Lens optimization, why don't they put the corrective solutions to the software, which can be done while the photo is on the PC monitor, in DNG. Or it may be corrected while changing to JPG.

This was the case in out Kodak SLR/n cameras. The camera just registered the lens type, or users manual correction index number. And the changes were made in the "Photo Desk" supplied. Photo Desk also corrected for other problems of that camera, like purple colors in high contrast areas.

I can easily recommend everyone to go back to 1.092, before the bugs are cleaned from 1.102. Yesterday, the problems were so many that I thought the camera itself was at fault.

Seyhun

I also have the:

1. wheel problem

2. Ocacsional skipping of photos while browsing with the left/right arrows

3. Venetian Blind

I can live with these for a while,

BUT MOST IMPORTANT:

4. I lost a lot of photo oppurtunities today in the Camera show in Istanbul, because the camera DIDNOT wake up, after a while. The only way to start again was NOT by shutting the camera off/ and on again. I could only preview and stop preview, before taking the next shot. happened at least 10 times. I removed the battery, tried everything but it did not help. Now I came home, and nothing happens. ıt just keeps on working. (conditions: VF at 35 mm, lens uncoded, lens recognition ON, but no filter alternative, battery abt 50%, DNG, 160 or 320ISO, 5min shutoff, lens Voigtlander 35mm with adapter).

By the way, Leica stand was better than most, and my M( was like a passport for talking to everyone.) I told the Leica guy that I like the M8 better than D2X in many conditions like this, and the Nikon rep overheard me saying that. I had to talk to him for at least 15 minutes on RF and stuff like that.

Anyway, M( camera was all OK last weekend. I took around 200 photos with all conditions, same lenses etc. with 1.092

Now I want to go back to 1.092. Is that possible? Maybe I'll try now, and report if there is a problem. If not, after testing tomorrow, I will re-download the 1.102 (just in case file was corrupted) and reinstall the new firmware.

I don't understand why there are so many differences between cameras. I just took over 200 shots today and I have never seen the venetian blind effect, have never had a lock-up, and I have never had the skipping effect with the right-left arrows. My camera was #260 to be built and was purchased Nov. 8.

Regarding Lens optimization, why don't they put the corrective solutions to the software, which can be done while the photo is on the PC monitor, in DNG. Or it may be corrected while changing to JPG.

This was the case in out Kodak SLR/n cameras. The camera just registered the lens type, or users manual correction index number. And the changes were made in the "Photo Desk" supplied. Photo Desk also corrected for other problems of that camera, like purple colors in high contrast areas.

I can easily recommend everyone to go back to 1.092, before the bugs are cleaned from 1.102. Yesterday, the problems were so many that I thought the camera itself was at fault.

Seyhun

The M8 only writes 8 bit files to DNG, enough information for the correction is not written to file. When Leica writes out 16 bit files, the correction could be done in the external software.

Edmund

I loaded 1.092 again yesterday, and everything started working as it was. I think 1.102 has bugs, related to lens optimization.

Now at least I don't lose any shots. I just have to live with the wheel problem.

Seyhun

1) I've never lost any shots with the M8. Every time I hit the shutter release a image is recorded to the SD card. I can't say that for the Nikon D200. There are many reports of lost images with that camera and I've have several lost images using one.

2) Leica does not produce/write any RAW (DNG) converter software for any of there cameras like other camera makers do. Like Capture 4 & NX for Nikon and whatever Canon uses and the program you are referring to from Kodak. So for them to do that they would need to get together with a company to write the program and then market it as Leica DNG converter.

I myself would rather have the correction done in the camera.

3) I can't not easily recommend going back to a older firmware. Why because you are having some problems with it on YOUR M8. I suspect YOUR M8 is at fault. So I suggest you send your M8 in to have it checked. Or just reload the 1.102 firmware.

On earlier versions I noticed that installing firmware twice did make a difference. Soif there are problems, try reinstalling it first. With me I stil have to detect one bug after taking over 100 shots.But I don't use autoreview as I do not like the light of the LCD shining into my eyes after each shot. I have a habit of not removing the camera from my eye after taking a photograph.Too many better second shots are lost that way.

I'm sure that there is no problem with the camera, because after going back to 1.092, it goes on working as usual. With 1.102, after playin with the preview and (I don't remember how I stopped it, by pressing the preview again, or the main shutter button) and while the camera is on for say 10 minutes, then nothing worked. Removing battery did not work. OFF/ON did not work. Even when off, pressing the preview button 2 times DID work. I'm sure this is related to a firmware bug.

Now I will reinstall 1.102, because many people here recommended that, after trying themselves.

but of course, if it happens again, I may be comvinced that the camera needs servicing. That means not getting the joy for at least 1 month, and going back to D2X.

Seyhun

1) I've never lost any shots with the M8. Every time I hit the shutter release a image is recorded to the SD card. 3) I can't not easily recommend going back to a older firmware. Why because you are having some problems with it on YOUR M8. I suspect YOUR M8 is at fault. So I suggest you send your M8 in to have it checked. Or just reload the 1.102 firmware.