M6- Should you remove the battery when not in use?

clx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Before I owned the M6, I used to have the Canonet QL 17 GIII. It was working perfectly until I stopped using it for 3 months. The shutter got stuck. When I took it to the repair shop, they asked if I have left the battery inside as the shutter/ self timer is very sticky and dry. So I'm wondering if I should remove my M6's battery when not in use to prevent shutter jam?

I've an MP that I bought when they where new in 2003, and never used it much. So come 2012 when I decided to give it an exercise the battery was still good, for about a week, so in the scheme of things on its last legs. So leaks and things are not a direct correlation with time. I think temperature of storage and how clean the battery is when inserted into the camera are an indication of passive service life, but that has as yet no correlation with statistical evidence. But keep it clean (the battery), so no sweaty grease can start to cause corrosion, and always switch it off on 'B' as well as any other switch (a trick with Olympus SLR's) and the battery will last as long as it will.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm using Lithium batteries, they are relatively more expensive, but still inexpensive, compared to other batteries - or having to take care of leakage damages. Duracell claims they will expire in almost a decade. However, I still would take the battery out for longer storage.

A second point to observe would be to use all times, especially 1 s, before putting it in storage and to repeat the exercise in storage - oils start to resinfy, when not moved regularly.

I still have an OM4 (pre-Ti), which eats batteries, even when stored shut off (the Ti is said to be improved). Since I seldom use it, it is without batteries by default.

Stefan

If you are putting a camera in storage: Yes, remove the battery. Turning the shutter dial to bulb turns off the meter in the M6 and will not drain the battery. That is wise to do at the end of the day's photographing. But, if you forget it will not make much of a difference. If you have a number of cameras you should check them periodically if there is a battery in them. Remove the battery when it no longer functions. Shutters on cameras should be exercised periodically to prevent them from sticking.