Leica C v D-Lux 6

Mixalis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have owned and liked the D-Lux 6 but ultimately found it too bulky (especially with EVF) ad was seldom encouraged to carry it around in addition to an M system. But I like the new Leica C because it could offer similar IQ (allowing for the slower but longer zoom) and is extremely compact and self-sufficient, with retracted lens, auto lens cover and a built-in EVF, even though small and low resolution. I think I could be persuaded to get one. My initial thoughts here on my blog if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

Your link brings up a blank page on ipad/safari.

You are right. It works on my Mac but I hadn't tried it on the iPad. I got the same blank page as you did. I have no explanation for this but I will look into it. It seems to defy logic. I checked the above hyperlink and it appears to be correct. When I copy the link from my site on iPad Safari and then paste it into a new tab the link works. However, it definitely doesn't work from here. Strange.

Anyway, here is the link in full:

https://macfilos.com/photo/2013/9/10/leica-c-new-small-camera-hits-right-spot

As you are a D-Lux owner (I was, but sold) I would be interested in your observations.

Edited by Mixalis
  • Like 1

Anyway, here is the link in full:

https://macfilos.com/photo/2013/9/10/leica-c-new-small-camera-hits-right-spot

As you are a D-Lux owner (I was, but sold) I would be interested in your observations

Thanks - my main critique of the camera comparison would be that the LF1 lens shows quite a bit of image deterioration around the edges compared to the D-Lux6. It's easy to see with foliage such as tree leaves. I don't know yet whether the 'C' will improve on the LF1 in that respect, but I will find out when it arrives.

The other thing is the carry, which is more complicated. The LF1/'C' is so small it will tuck into nearly any available space. But it needs dust protection, so that space needs to be at least shirt pocket size. I carry the D-Lux6 hands free with the fashionable 18727 case with shoulder strap, so it's essentially as easy and unobtrusive to carry.

The 2 cameras are so different in the end, that I think Cameralabs probably didn't do justice to them in its comparison. The D-Lux6/LX7 is relatively bulky, but very professional in its features, while the LF1/'C' may well be the best camera possible in its size. In spite of each camera being a 'best' for its size, I felt that the LF1 was way overpriced at $500 USD MSRP (which BTW was not discounted at introduction). Being nearsighted, the LCD is always better to me from a few inches away, but it seems other non-nearsighted people prefer to hold LCDs at arm's length rather than wear lenses to see up close.

So while I wasn't highly impressed with the LF1 on an overall basis (based on the price), I had a feeling that the Leica C will improve on it in more than one way, and I have no doubt I'll donate the LF1 to my favorite camera club after making comparisons to the Leica 'C'.

Thanks. All valid points. I admit I have not given IQ comparison (perhaps the most important consideration, I suppose) the weighting it deserves. I am interested in the C as a more pocketable version of the Sony RX100 although, of course, the RX has the much bigger 1in sensor. I agree with everything you say about the D-Lux 6 but, having just bought an X-Vario, I want something much smaller. We shall see.