Hello Everyone

I have an M8 and M9. I use the M8 mainly for infrared and as a backup when travelling.

I want to buy the M 240 for all sorts of reasons ..... but money is a little tight and I would benefit from trading in either the M8 or M9 ( or both ).

I have found the M9 to be very poor as an IR camera, but the M8 is superb. I think I want to end up with the M 240 and the M9 - but I don't want to give up shooting infrared photos.

Can anyone please tell me how the M 240 performs as an IR camera.

If I could get really good IR from the M 240, I could let the M8 go more easily ......

Many Thanks

After the problems with the M8 - I also assumed Leica would have increased blocking filtration of IR in the M 240 as they did in the M9.

Then I came across this on the internet -

Leica M (240) IR Test #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

..........which gave me hope that the M 240 might work well at IR photography......

Has anyone tried putting an R72 filter in front of any lens on an M 240 to see what happens ? ........ I would dearly love to hear about it ...................

I notice that the IR picture with the M240 that you linked to had an 8 second exposure at ISO 1600 so it's about the same as the M9 for IR sensitivity in my experience.

The answer is that yes you *can* shoot IR with a 'black' 093 on an M240 but not handheld like you can with the M8 at ISO 160, which for me is the deal breaker. You'll get an extra stop or two out of a 'deep red' R72 because it passes some radiation in the visible spectrum but I'd still expect it to be around half a second at f/2.8 at ISO 1600. I found that the noise in M8 pictures at above ISO 320 to be unacceptable but the M240's IR noise at ISO 1600 looks okay. YMMV.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

IR contamination ruins normal colors and all manufactures strive to filter it out.

The M8 was an engineering boo boo in that respect, hence the need for ir/uv cut filters. There will never be another off the shelf camera that works with IR, best you keep you M8 like I am or buy something and have it converted.

Then I came across this on the internet -

Leica M (240) IR Test #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

..........which gave me hope that the M 240 might work well at IR photography......

the sample you posted is 8 seconds at f5.6 at iso 1600. I think any camera would produce an infra-red image when pushed to those extremes. Try this on an M9 or MM...the result is the same. I know because I've tried it. The image may be infra red like but not terribly practical in use.

The M8 was an engineering boo boo in that respect, hence the need for ir/uv cut filters. There will never be another off the shelf camera that works with IR...

some cameras have removable IR filters

My M240 arrived yesterday at my dealer, and as I have a really good trip coming up next month - I bit the bullet and bought it. A difficult decision financially, but the best decision for photography and lifestyle. No point buying it after the trip. It boiled down to a matter of priorities.

I have kept the M8 ...... mostly for IR - and because it seems I can't get much money for it these days, even though it recently had a shutter replacement and has done very few shots since. It is still a fine camera and sometimes even appears sharper than the M9.

Ditto the M9. I found a small sensor scratch ( yes, it was me ) which has dropped the trade-in value to the point that it is worth more as a backup than the money I will get - and will make an excellent fullframe backup for travel with the M240. Still works fine and I can easily work around this very small scratch in post. Besides, it is also backup until the M240 proves itself to me as far as quality and reliability ( which it is rapidly doing ).

So I have ended up with much less money, and more Leica bodies than planned ...... the thing now will be to just keep using them all ............. at least until a Monochrom M240 appears - methinks that would be the time to trade one in ...........

Many Thanks for the helpful replies.

Oh boy! Really sorry to hear about your M9 sensor scratch. It may be worth it to have it checked & repaired by Leica, then resell it, keeping the M8 for black & white plus ir. worth at least to get a quote. I use my m lenses on a dedicated ir converted NEX-7 with Novoflex mount. No need for additional filters, which is great. I bit the bullet with that as a cheaper option to the M8, which can be fragile at times as well as a great little performer. Selling privately would yield a much better price than trading in, btw so would advise that route if you decided to sell. Have a great trip!

I have used the M 240 succesfully for IR photography. I have since had several of my Canons converted, so I no longer use it for IR work, but it will definitely get the job done. You need 093 filters, and it helps to use relatively fast lenses along with the EVF to nail the focus.

There are a few samples here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshhimes/sets/72157641496350153

I have used the M 240 succesfully for IR photography. I have since had several of my Canons converted, so I no longer use it for IR work, but it will definitely get the job done. You need 093 filters, and it helps to use relatively fast lenses along with the EVF to nail the focus.

There are a few samples here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshhimes/sets/72157641496350153

Sweet images! What settings did you use to get that effect?

I have learned volumes about IR photography since I made those images. I have since had two 1D-X's converted, along with a 5D and a 7D MKII. Converted cameras are definitely the best solution for professional IR work, but the M240 will work fine for occasional shots, if you take the time to learn how to work around it's limitations.

All infrared photography is very dependent on the immediate light conditions, so exposures would vary greatly depending on the amount and intensity of light in the scene. Generally, I would say ISO 200@ 6-12 seconds, F4-5.6 with a B+W 093 filter. I think those shots on Flickr let you see the exposure length for reference. Focussing is the tough part, as it's just at the limit of what the EVF can deliver. It works best to use F/1.4 lenses wide open for focusing, then stopped down for the shot. Occasionally, if it's very bright or you have a high contrast object in the scene, you can nail the focus with slower lenses. Also, you won't get much of the IR effect (bright foliage/dark skies) with any other filter, it needs to be the B+W 093 for best results.

Cameras can be modified to remove IR filters from the sensor stacks, some camera repair places will do this.

Leica M T246 Hoya R72 filter (pseudo infrared effect ) compressed jpeg is attached.

Exposure settings are f 16 1/30s 8000 iso.

Subject my back yard - not too exciting I know -  IR light sensitivity looks promising.  

B+W 093 filter should result in a more pure IR signal

Greg Law NY USA