..wanting an M8

Leicatime

You should get it, if you are looking for a digital rangefinder and you cannot or do not feel like spending the M9/M-E/Monochrom/M level of money. The Epson R-D1 is your only other option, but it is more limited especially due to its crop factor. It is pretty much as simple as that.

I'd go for it and wouldn't waste any more time thinking. The M8 is a bargain. Image quality still surprises me and (even though I could afford it) I don't see any point in spending 2.5x on an M9, rather use the saving on more Leica glass.

But, please do make sure you buy from a official Leica accredited dealer with a proper guarantee/return rights. It goes without saying, take your time in the shop, check for cosmetic damage as well as camera functions, screen condition. Mine is an original M8 with 1/8000 which is occasionally useful.

• Like 1

What things should I consider when purchasing a second-hand M8? Thanks in advance.

1. Lenses are going to be expensive.
  2. Make sure you get the Leica filters.
  3. Try to find an M8 or M8.2 with a low shutter count.
  4. Buy from a dealer even if you have to spend a bit more. If something goes wrong with your camera you will have someone to turn to for assistance.

I have some decent cameras but to me there is just something special about a Leica M8 and a good Leica lens.

1. Cheap lenses are still available, some of them very good... I just got an Canon 35mm 1.5 LTM at less than 400 US$ incl UV/IR...

2. Leica UV/IR or any other reputable make like B+W or Heliopan...

3. Just understand the differences between the three major versions. I prefer the M8u full upgrade, it has all the best functions features...

4. If something goes wrong contact Leica Customer Service or LPS...

• Like 1

1) the best value for money if it is for a Leica lens is for sure the 40mm Summicron, that goes for about 400 Euro.

2)UR/IR filters are cheap these days, as a lot of people are upgrading from M9 to M (9), so you can get good second hand ones for 40-60 Euro (half price)

3) Low shuttercount is very important.

4) Try to find a M8 from a dealer or one that has dealer guarantee for at least 6 months!

Good luck

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right choice if you buy from a serious dealer : >6 years of (NO heavy) usage for my M8, nothing wrong, no issues at all : hundreds of good pics and dozens of very fine prints in the 20x30 to 30x40 cm range.

You say "...enter the whole new world of rangefinders..." : I suppose it means you are lensless... a problem to be adressed smartly and depending on your goals : my ideas :

- A pity not to have at least ONE Leica lens... :cool: : best buy is probably,as above written, the Summicron 40 (only minus : UVIR filter "to be managed") ; a Summaron 35 2,8, with its sane E39 filter mount, could be a good alternative.

- From 28 and under, any Leica choice is costly, but the CV alternatives (25, 21) are interesting.

- ...and I alway think that a pleasant old Leitz Elmar 90 is NEVER a bad buy, at the prices it can be found (see a "costly" dealer : Leica Store Berlin: M-Objektive : Produktliste )

I sold a Nikon D300 because I was fed up carrying all that weight, went to a Fuji X100 which was great but have ended up with an M8. As mentioned above you need to budget for lenses which are expensive (but check out older M /Leica Screw/Voigtlander/Other Screw Thread) and you will need UV/IR filters - around £30 in the UK. If you used to auto everything cameras it's a shock moving to rangefinder focus, frame lines, AE or manual exposure, poor low ISO performance, simple menus, hit and miss electronics....But it's liberating to have a simple, quality, light, small camera that will take great pictures.

You can use many lenses on an M8, including all the older LTM's. If funds are limited you can't go wrong with a 25 or 35 Skopar (IMHO).

The only thing you need to be aware of is that Leica cannot repair/replace the rear LCD should it fail or you damage it. They will however give you a discounted replacement camera.

Another member here has just upgraded to an M9 and might have a carefully used M8 to sell ......

I started my Leica digital experience with an M8 and it was a great camera. I've moved on, but I am often tempted to buy another M8 because it is such a lot of camera for the current money. The two main disadvantages vis-a-vis the later M9 are the 1.33 crop factor, and the need to use an IR filter. Neither is a big problem and I remember I found the tiny 28mm Elmarit to be the perfect street photography lens with its 35mm equivalent of 37mm. I would definitely go for it. An M8 is currently around half the price of a secondhand M9 and gives you most of the experience at a bargain price. And don't forget that anything you spend on lenses (whether Leica, Zeiss or Cosina Voigtlaender) is an investment in the future. The M8.2 is worth paying a little extra for but, from my understanding of current second-hand prices, I would just go for the original M8 and then work towards a second-hand M9.

Edited by Mixalis

Can I please get your opinions on why I should (or not) get an M8?

Because it takes photos like this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know posting photos in this section is frowned upon but please moderators indulge me this once.

• Like 2

3. Just understand the differences between the three major versions. I prefer the M8u full upgrade, it has all the best functions features...

Five versions, really, if you count the 3 potential upgrades separately (although they exist in various combinations)...

• Standard M8

• M8 with one of 3 separate upgrades, including sapphire screen, upgraded shutter (but loss of 1/8000 speed), and 2m frame lines. [Of course, these can also be combined in any fashion.]

• M8.2, which has some differences from an M8 that has the 3 upgrades, including black paint instead of black chrome, different covering, black dot on the black version, snapshot mode (ugh), and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

I prefer the M8.2, which never really had any of the teething issues of the early M8s, and I like all the upgrades, especially the frame lines.

And I also think that buying from a reputable Leica dealer is the way to go (and not just because I should have a very clean black one for sale at Popflash soon.:) ) I recently bought a new M, and will still keep my chrome M8.2....it's still a terrific camera.

Jeff

Had lenses left over from film Leica days.

The camera has quirks like some nasty colors, more than purple black.

Decide you need uv/ir cut filters. You should code lenses 35 and shorter or use corner fix.

Work up a dual illuminant Adobe camera profile for the last tweek of colors and you then have a camera that is pretty decent. Adobe labs.com.

At 18 MP an M9 will make a print 25% bigger on edge dimension than M8, thats all. If you use high iso, M9 is better, M better still.

Really big prints, Nikon D800E.

Just got mine with 40mm f2. :cool:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

why I should (or not) get an M8?

-->because the build is second to none, it feels like the right tool as soon as you hold it

What things should I consider when purchasing a second-hand M8?

--> as said before: low shutter count, get it from a dealer with warranty, the glass for m mount is usually superb (not only the Leica lenses)

do you mind focussing manually all the time?

I was convinced after shooting a friend's M8 for three weeks. I didn't want to use my other digital camera (Lumix G2 which I really enjoyed till then :rolleyes:) anymore.

I ended up getting a used camera from the local Leica store with a shutter count of just 1740 and one year warranty which was needed just a few days after when it had to be sent in for some adjustments (they did almost everything, mightmeter, shutterspeed, messsucher, sensor position :eek:), which is then for free instead of paying another few hundred bucks!

I decided to get a new Zeiss lens instead of used Leica glass. There is plenty of good lenses for the m mount out there.

some more thoughts HERE

and another reason to shoot Leica, the service! Look at this

Do it :D

Edited by elcap
  • Like 2

Wow! Thank you everyone for generous inputs! Buying from dealer with warranty is something that I haven't considered, but certainly worth doing. Having to use an X1 for a while (with slow auto focus) I think I'm ready to use my own hand to do the work.

I am lensless, so would also take any suggestions on a starter lens (looking up 35mm canon and 40mm canon now).

• Like 1

Although I have an M9 I spent the last few days in London and on the south English coast and took 'one lens, one camera' - my M8 and a 21mm f/3.4 Super-Angulon from the mid sixties. The files are superb and more than adequate for the uses I will put them too. Its still a fabulous camera and those who decry it either have requirements which exceed its design limitations (a minority I'd suspect) or have never used one.

As for a first lens, well you have a large choice but if you are on a budget I'd look at older Leica or none Leica lenses first as you indicate, or if you can stretch to it I'd consider a more recent 35 or 50 Summarit, neither of which is likely to depreciate much if you buy at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I started with Leica about 15 months ago, and the M8 in March this year It's a fabulous camera, sooo much fun and gorgeous to use; I carry it everywhere....averaging 400 clicks per week.

As for the lens cost problem....use adapters and LTM. My favourite is an old 1952 collapsible Summicron 50mm f2. about $500 but searched through many copies.

Voigtlander 21mm f4 works very well about $400. Elmar 90mm f4 about $ 400.

I also use Canon lenses 50mm f 1.4 and 35mm f2 both in LTM mounts. They are good but having the typical Japanese lens problem of CA. The Canon 50mm f1.4 is a great low light lens, and excellent when used in B&W mode....which is truly fantastic to use in real time on the M8. All these lenses are about $500 in close to perfect condition.

After collecting for many years this is my most favourite camera, and have used this more than any other.

All the best on your journey, cheers Dave S :)

• Like 1