Another Leica M240 review

jrp

I like the short length to the article which cuts to the chase-over and out.

After 8 pages? Still very readable, but somewhat repetitive, e.g., I think he mentioned the lack of ability to move LV focus at least 6 times.

But, clearly stated, with lots of good points.

Jeff

I think he mentioned the lack of ability to move LV focus at least 6 times.

.... it's not clear to me why he has such an issue with this and is incapable of moving the camera.....:confused:

as someone who has spent years focussing and recomposing, plus metering off subject and then locking exposure it has always struck me as an unnecessary luxury....

• Like 1

Like some other issues he finds, it stems from attempting to use the camera as a full replacement for a DSLR. Which it is not. Notwithstanding a decent user report, although it adds little to existing reviews.

Edited by jaapv

...as someone who has spent years focussing and recomposing, plus metering off subject and then locking exposure it has always struck me as an unnecessary luxury....

He comments that with the added flexibility of the M to use longer focal lengths, the penalty for mis-focus, which can occur with the focus/recompose method, increases substantially. And for tripod use, which is more common with longer focal lengths, folks tend to like a stationary camera position rather than rotating the camera once the pic is framed. This is less an issue with more typical, and quicker, RF work.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt that that is true. The increased subject distance and resulting smaller angle of turning more than compensate for any loss of DOF. Focus-recompose will produce less of a focus shift with long lenses, assuming that the camera-subject distance is adapted to the longer focal length..

Focus and recompose can be awkward at 11x magnification, even on a tripod. Recomposing changes the field of focus (which is why Hasselblad introduced True Focus, for example APL

Also field curvature or waviness can make recomposed focus even less accurate.

As Hasselblad say themselves (see below), the focus-recompose error (and thus their True-Focus System) is at short focussing distances. So yes, if you want to do close shots with a long lens, you will run into focussing errors with focus/recompose. But if you use long lenses at longer distances, which is the most common usage, there is no problem.

Without multi-point auto-focus a typical auto-focus camera can only correctly measure focus on a subject that is in the center of the image. When a photographer wants to focus on a subject outside the center area, they have to lock focus on the subject and then re-compose the image. In short distances especially, this re-composing causes focus error, as the plane of focus sharpness follows the camera’s movement, perpendicular to the axis of the lens.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

As Hasselblad say themselves (see below), the focus-recompose error (and thus their True-Focus System) is at short focussing distances. So yes, if you want to do close shots with a long lens, you will run into focussing errors with focus/recompose. But if you use long lenses at longer distances, which is the most common usage, there is no problem.

The focusing error can be significant even with wide angle lenses. I had this issue with environmental portraits with 35mm lens. For a person placed off center, the focus would be consistently at the back of their head.

Edited by MirekE

The focusing error can be significant even with wide angle lenses. I had this issue with environmental portraits with 35mm lens. For a person placed off center, the focus would be consistently at the back of their head.

Exactly what I am saying. With wideangle lenses you tend to focus on objects closer to the camera and because of the wider field of view will tend to turn the camera more, resulting in a significant focus/recompose error. However, normally the wide DOF of the lens will hide the focus shift. So it helps to stop down a bit.

A further review.

With further comments on focusing and colour balance / rendition.

Sounds like an average sensible non-hysterical user ...... :p

Same issues which we have all found ..... most of which will be remedied.

and I suspect his old M9 needs rangefinder calibration ........

Focus peaking only really works well at x5. I would be happy if Leica switched it off on full frame and x10 to be honest.

It's a simple, sober review. It's interesting that they're using the 1Ds mkIII as a benchmark, as you can't really evaluate M lens performance on a DSLR, which means they're comparing apples to oranges... Nevertheless, the review gets it partly right: the 240 isn't setting the world on fire, just playing status quo with respect to competitive features. Part of me wishes Leica had worked a little smarter with the sensor, simply to achieve greater high ISO performance. Too bad TrueSense/Kodak weren't in the running with a significantly more advanced version of the CCD in the M9/E. I know remaining on CCD wouldn't have allowed for live view or movie recording, but I don't give a damn about those "features".

I understood the focus error section to pertain only to the shakyness of using a long lens and the inability to accurately use focus peeking with such vibrations. I don't think he's referencing focus plane shift in focus recompose.

Good review I thought. But then I am comfortable with comparing camera A to camera B as "a camera" and not crying apples to oranges every time it comes out badly for one or the other.

Not you. But the market they are opening up does care about Video - and Live View.

I would be very surprised if they succeded in the video field with a product that does not give anything that does not yet exist for cheaper and, for some important features, better.

This will be another " dead end " move by leica like so many in the past.

They could more cleverly have concentrated on a photographic better digital solution for R and M lenses, better EVF, no mics or video, cheaper, a monochrom version etc...