in praise of the 50/2.8 Elmar-M (1994 - 2007)

cpclee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the interest of clarity, the list (screen capture) I provided is from LR4.

Yes, so I can compare it to the LR5 profiles for Leica-M:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I found a picture of the elmar 50/2,8 showing a special rear cap which allows collapsing the lens:

Leica Elmar-M 1:2,8/50mm, 50mm f2.8, E39, Silber verchromt /Silver chromed 4022243113459 | eBay

does anybody know this rear cap? is it from Leica???

Many years ago, I bought two of these rear caps made of plastic by a local photo dealer.

There are no numbers or letters printed inside or outside and they have been sold to me as replacements for the rear caps of the Super-Angulon 4.0 - 21 mm, Super-Angulon 3.4 - 21 mm and Elmar collapsible 4.0 - 90 mm (picture below).

The original Leica rear caps were made of metal.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

inbetween I found this offer at eBay:

Deep Metal Rear Cap for Leica 21mm 28mm Elmarit M 28/2.8 Super Angulon 21/3.4 | eBay

maybe looks good - does anybody know this offer?

Don't know that one but Heavystar (both on the Bay and through his own site) offers a rear cap for the Leica 21's which fits the 50/2.8; price is $12.95.

• Like 1

I have the same experience... movement in focus barrell, successful CLA for a while... however, movement in focus barrell is soon back. No movement in front in the "extended" end part of the lens. My only Leica lens with such a movement. But so what, learned to live with it... and just love the size of the lens and how it renders (even if bokeh can be disturbing). Best value in its very own way!

I keep the silver version.

Stein

Stein, if you use a good lube the problem is fixed for some years.

A medium / soft Teflon grease is perfect, but the focus ring gets stiffer.

The trade off is no free play = stiffer focus ring

Soft focus ring = some free play

I tested mine before and after cla and I must say that effects of free play are definitely NOT visible

Maybe the true solution is not to care about free play

Franco

• Like 1

I'm reminded that until recently, Leica's silver chrome lenses are made of brass while the black lenses are anodized aluminum. That might explain the difference in feel.

This is the first silver chrome lens I have so I unable to speak in more general terms.

Dennis Laney says that the black Elmar-M 50mm, f2.8 has a '...light weight black plastic mount' pg. 229 of Leica Collectors Guide 2nd Edition. Is this the reason it is so light? I guess we can't find out where he acquired that information from but it would not be the first time that a plastic mount was used. I had a Summicron 35mm v4 from 1980 Serial number 3,062,xxx with tiger claw that the repair person said had a polycarbonate plastic mount which tended to jam and strip. She told me that was the reason that it losened up on me. Can anyone clarify on this?

I also love this lens but have one question. Can you collapse the lens into the M9 or the M (typ 240) without damaging the camera internals? Since all of you are using this lens I thought you would be a good audience to ask this question. I have read Solms statement on this and they say the only collapsable lens that can be collapsed on the M9 and M (typ 240) is the recent 90mm macro. I have collapsed it on my M7 and there seems to be no problem. I personally love this lens as it is so light and well made. I have had no problems with it loosening as others have reported on htis thread.

The 50/2.8 v2 is not made of plastic at all and has the same quality as the v1 as far as my samples are concerned. Aside from its optical superiority, the only difference is its rectilinear focus mount and the lack of focus tab for the normal v2 model (the M6J's has one).

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

On the M240 I collapse the Elmar-M 2.8/50 only in the 0.70m position which appears to be save. When carefully turning the collapsed lens from 0.70m to infinity it seems to touch some internals as you feel a slight resistance shortly before the infinity setting. On my M9 there is no problem even when the lens is set to infinity. However, one should always be very careful when changing the lens. To be save, I recommend you should change the lens only when it is extended.

Regards

Andreas

On the M240 I collapse the Elmar-M 2.8/50 only in the 0.70m position which appears to be save. When carefully turning the collapsed lens from 0.70m to infinity it seems to touch some internals as you feel a slight resistance shortly before the infinity setting. On my M9 there is no problem even when the lens is set to infinity. However, one should always be very careful when changing the lens. To be save, I recommend you should change the lens only when it is extended.

that's a new message at least for me - I thought that the Elmar-M 50mm can collapse on M (240) in every focus position!

:(

...I thought that the Elmar-M 50mm can collapse on M (240) in every focus position!...

Better comply with Leica's instructions imho. I would not run the risk to void the warranty personally.

« (…) Lenses with retractable tube can only be used with the tube extended, i.e. their tube must never be retracted into the Leica M. This is not the case with the current Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 (…) »

(Leica M's Instructions booklet, page 147)

• Like 1