Leica M Battery Life

Guest odeon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Digital is film without the mess of chemical developing. 

Disagree, one is an electronic interpretation of a physical and causative image and the other is the same physical projected image onto an analog recording medium. I have decades of experience in using both so I stand firmly on this especially considering I still use both and it is far from messy by the way.

As far as your projection of what battery life is best for who I can only imagine was the poster right above you, it comes off as high order and one size fits all. I know I would shoot a lot more than 80 pictures in Portugal, some may shoot less, again, not one size fits all. 

Lets try to all be a little more open minded and less burst in the door with our renown expertise and make this a more pleasant exchange for everyone shall we?

Have a nice evening everyone!

Edited by Reciprocity

Actually, the sensor is the analog medium - it needs ADC to be able to produce a digital signal from the variable output per pixel, whereas  film is made up of crystals that are either activated by light or not, a digital phenomenon. ;)

• Like 2

Actually, the sensor is the analog medium - it needs ADC to be able to produce a digital signal from the variable output per pixel, whereas film is made up of crystals that are either activated by light or not, a digital phenomenon. ;)

Hang on then, let me get my rappel harness, I see a “Rabbit Hole” ahead, lol!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Butler? Try this from ThinkTank. The M battery fits altho tight the first time you put it in. 

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/battery-holders/products/cf-sd-battery-wallet

A better M battery holder is the ThinkTank "Pro DSLR Battery Holder" with two pockets that allow easy insertion and removal:

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/battery-holders/products/pro-dslr-battery-holder

• Like 1

I use a drawstring pouch which came with spare buttons with a pair of jeans as battery bag.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure it would be such a good thing - think of all your preferences, hand them over to someone else to manage, inform them whenever you change your mind or something overrides the normal flow of things - I think you would get worse service than doing it yourself and probably get stuck in ruts you didn’t intend.

I just got back from a long trip, shot well over 2000 images - battery never got below 50% in a given day.  Rotated btwn 2 batteries just b/c it felt sensible to do so - could have managed with just 1

To me, impressive and one less thing to worry abt

Every time I read discussions about the battery-life I got the impression that batteries in the USA must be much better then the stuff I got here in Europe. There it seemed to be no probleme to get 1000 and up to 2000 pics. I never managed to get more then 400-500 pictures out of one battery. On a busy day I always need at least 1 1/2 batteries. :(

• Like 2

Every time I read discussions about the battery-life I got the impression that batteries in the USA must be much better then the stuff I got here in Europe. There it seemed to be no probleme to get 1000 and up to 2000 pics. I never managed to get more then 400-500 pictures out of one battery. On a busy day I always need at least 1 1/2 batteries. :(

Are you using EVF or LV? The 1000 number is only possible in RF mode.

If the startup from the camera wouldn't be that slow I would more often turn it off. But so I would miss to many pics. On the other hand I didn't wake up the camera every 10 minutes. If there is nothing to photograph it stays in sleep-mode. And this can last for days without a significant loss off battery-power, as I tested.

But here are several people that claimed that about 1000 exposures are possible with one battery. To me it looks, like all that claimed that are in the U.S. Wonder what they do, to get this working?

• Like 1

I've set the camera to auto-review only if I keep the release-button pressed. So I can spontaneously decide to have a look if necessary. But that's not so often. Guess at least 5% or less of the pictures taken. And then I normaly only look a second or two on it, just to check the highlights.