Leica M Battery Life

Guest odeon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

Now, i'm starting a discussion about Leica M's battery life.

Everybody can see the increase after Leica M9. But, what is amount of increase?

What is your experience on Leica M?

In my usage, i meter the light 1500-2000 times on single charge. And i can take around 1000 photos.

If i use the live view, the battery life fall dramatically. I can take only 300 photos.

I've got approx 1500 out from the one charge (I have a spare but haven't had to use it yet). This is with just casual looking at the LCD for critical focus with the Noct. It kills the M9 battery, which I normally got about 400 shots out of.

• 1 month later...
Everybody can see the increase after Leica M9. But, what is amount of increase?

I remember reading in some interview that the capacity has been doubled and consumption reduced to half. However, with LV and better and faster preview my workflow changed, so I estimate the practical life time is about 2x more that what I was getting with M9 and my old workflow.

Subjective comment:

The battery life is amazing. A full day of shooting, 32 gigs of files which would have been equivalent to 17 rolls of film. By the end of the day, the info button said, I still had 50% battery life left. I didn't have to use my spare battery at all

note: I don't use live view. I don't review images. The auto off function works very and was very responsive to turning itself on again. I do often forget to set lens detection because I use a combination of leica and zeiss glass.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

This old thread greatly comforted...

I'm off on a 1 month trip to Spain with 2 batteries.  As an old view camera pro I'm very selective and careful with my exposures.  In a day with the M240, 75 - 100 shots maximum.  I just looked up new prices of batteries in the US - about $200.

From what you guys wrote I'm confident I'll be ok - but... did find a shop in Madrid with them in stock for 140€ (abt $175), and a short walk from our hotel.  Hmmmm...

Thanks all!

If you were using film, how many rolls would you take? Digital is film without the mess of chemical developing. Aim to shoot quality rather than quantity and don't chimp. By slowing down an M-240 battery will last a week or even two. How many rolls of film is that?

On a recent trip to Portugal I took 80 shots and still had 60% of power remaining. Who needs spare batteries?

[...] In a day with the M240, 75 - 100 shots maximum.  I just looked up new prices of batteries in the US - about $200.

From what you guys wrote I'm confident I'll be ok - but... did find a shop in Madrid with them in stock for 140€ (abt $175), and a short walk from our hotel.  Hmmmm...

Unless you are all the time in LV Mode or you disabled sleep mode you should take more shots than this IMHO. EUR 140 is a fair price in EU.

Not having live view or video (M 262 owner) I don't have to worry about using it too much.   Also, my preference is to turn off image review.   If I want to see the picture I just took I can press the play button.   The combination of camera and the options I've set give me much more than 100 shots per battery.   I don't know how many more as I tend to charge the battery before going on trips where I'm likely to take lots of pictures.   I don't think I've ever gotten the battery below 25%.   However, I am not one who takes hundreds of pictures in a single day with the M.  I may take that many pictures spread over several cameras.

And that reminds me... it's been a while I last charged my M battery.   It's at 30%.  I'll put it on the charger, now.

If you were using film, how many rolls would you take? Digital is film without the mess of chemical developing. Aim to shoot quality rather than quantity and don't chimp. By slowing down an M-240 battery will last a week or even two. How many rolls of film is that?

On a recent trip to Portugal I took 80 shots and still had 60% of power remaining. Who needs spare batteries?

I do... :(

• Like 2