Leica 21mm Summilux

wjkotze

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few questions to 21mm Summilux owners :

1. When you look at product shots of this lens, a fair percentage shows a distinct gap between the lens hood and the lens body. The gap is filled by what appears to be a red o-ring. Other shots, including the one on the Leica site shows no gap and no o-ring. Has there been a design change at some stage ?

2.Some reviewers reported and showed samples of vignetting caused by the lens-hood, whilst other reviewers reported no problem. Could this be sample related or has there been a small design change on the hood ?

I've had the 21mm Summilux since 2009 and used it for a couple of years with film only; where there is significant and obvious light fall off towards the edges.

On digital it's easier to correct this out under the lens profile tab.

It has the red band which seems to be a hard plastic and is still visible with the lens hood fully on.

The red band is there only to remind you not to put the lens face down with the hood off - to prevent front element damage.

M6_21luxFrankenfinder.jpg

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 1

I've had the 21mm Summilux since 2009 and used it for a couple of years with film only; where there is significant and obvious light fall off towards the edges.

On digital it's easier to correct this out under the lens profile tab.

It has the red band which seems to be a hard plastic and is still visible with the lens hood fully on.

The red band is there only to remind you not to put the lens face down with the hood off - to prevent front element damage.

M6_21luxFrankenfinder.jpg

The vignetting that I am referring to is over and above the light fall off. It also disappears when you remove the hood. See this link : 21mm 1.4 Leica Summilux lens review ;

None of the latest product shots including the one on the Leica site shows the red band which means there must have been a redesign along the way.

I bought mine in Dec 2011 and just love everything about the lens. No vignetting I am aware of. Works founder fully on the M with EVF.

With hood attached there is a red band visible from the side and as was mentioned it is a reminder that the lens element protrudes further out than the front edge of the lens. I keep a series 8 UV filter on mine for protection since it can be considered a WA Noctilux.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you look at product shots of this lens, a fair percentage shows a distinct gap between the lens hood and the lens body. The gap is filled by what appears to be a red o-ring. Other shots, including the one on the Leica site, show no gap and no o-ring. Has there been a design change at some stage?

I am not aware of any design change—which of course means nothing. Anyway, my sample, with a 409XXXX serial number, clearly shows the gap and the slightly recessed red ring which indeed is a red o-ring.

In pictures of the lens, the red ring may be more or less apparent, depending on the perspective of the view at the lens and the lighting conditions.

Some reviewers reported and showed samples of vignetting caused by the lens hood, whilst other reviewers reported no problem. Could this be sample-related, or has there been a small design change on the hood?

Gosh! I already noticed the stong vignetting in the corners even at smaller apertures ... yet it never occurred to me that the hood might contribute to this undesirable effect. Now I tried it, and lo and behold—the hood indeed aggravates the already strong vignetting, at all apertures. Without the hood, the corners are dark; with the hood, they're almost black. This clearly is a faulty design. I cannot believe that Leica Camera creates and sells such a dreck! I am seriously annoyed ... :mad::mad::mad:

Again, I am not aware of any design changes. I searched the Internet for pictures of the 21 mm Summilux's hood, and they all look the same to me. As to some reviewers reporting no problem with the hood—I'd be seriously surprised if this was due to sample variation. I rather believe some reviewers don't see vignetting when they're directly looking at it.

But then, I was seriously surprised before ... :(

A few questions to 21mm Summilux owners :

1. When you look at product shots of this lens, a fair percentage shows a distinct gap between the lens hood and the lens body. The gap is filled by what appears to be a red o-ring. Other shots, including the one on the Leica site shows no gap and no o-ring. Has there been a design change at some stage ?

When purchasing my 21mm the lens' hood fit the lens perfectly, I can not remember if it showed or hid the red band. The lens had a few issues and was returned. My second copy had improved image quality with a slightly skewed hood. On one side the hood covers the red band and the opposite side the red band is exposed. On the red band (exposed) side the gap is approximately 1/2mm. Exchanging hoods made no difference the red bands appearance was the same on each lens independent of which hood was placed.

2.Some reviewers reported and showed samples of vignetting caused by the lens-hood, whilst other reviewers reported no problem. Could this be sample related or has there been a small design change on the hood ?

The above skewing of the hood and it's inexactness may contribute to vignetting however I think one side would show more effect than the other. I haven't looked critically at the vignetting, some is expected and the M9 software reduces it with the lens profile.

Had to wait for it to get dark enough :)

No profile correction applied

f/1.4 Hood

f/1.4 No Hood

f/4 Hood

f/4 No Hood

The hood does indeed add some mechanical vignetting :(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

See attached product shots. The one on the left do not have the red band. The gap also appears to be marginally smaller.

• Like 1

There also appears to be a design change in this area. Note the gap between the aperture and focus rings.

• Like 1

There also appears to be a design change in this area. Note the gap between the aperture and focus rings.

I wonder whether it's an artefact of lighting. The illumination of the lens is very different in the two photographs with the second lens illuminated from below and behind leaving strong shadow lines.

Edited by MarkP

I wonder whether it's an artefact of lighting. The illumination of the lens is very different in the two photographs with the second lens illuminated from below and behind leaving strong shadow lines.

I take your point. There is also a small perspective difference. I am however not sure that it can account for what appears to be a difference in gap.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

My 21 lux has the red ring and with a ND series 8 filter installed it rattles, I wonder if these filters rattle without the red ring.

I also just noticed that I bought a new series 8 ND filter from B&W and now I have two (WTF) I thought I had a 10 stop series 8 so that is why I ordered the 0.6 ND...........never mind I have mislead filters before...lol