Sign in to follow this  
Pforde

R6 delema

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My recently purchased R6 just stopped working. I was using it at slow shutter speeds and it jammed. The mirror is halfway up, the winder will not crank and the shutter button does not move. Up until 1/30 it was working fine.

I recently had similar slow shutter speed problems with my M6 but moving the shutter speed to a speed greater than 125 would reset the shutter. A CLA fixed that problem.

Does the R6 sound like a CLA would remedy the problem (cost about $300) or should I simply buy another used for about $400 ?

Leica stopped making the terrific R6 series because Seiko stopped making shutters for them. I wonder if the shutter is involved, and what spares Leica has?

I would be tempted to get the camera serviced.

As mentioned you could buy another R6 and find that also needs servicing.

I was in a similar position recently - the aperture linking mechanism in my R6 broke and needed to be replaced. I consulted with my "all-things-film-Leica" repair person and their recommendation was that due to the cost of parts and labor to simply buy another camera. In fact, if I went with one of the less popular R bodies I could have bought two.

I deliberated over this for a few days and decided to go ahead and have the camera repaired. Yes, two R4s or R5s would have cost about the same, but that would also have meant giving up the all-manual operation of the R6. While it was expensive, I now have a great little camera that suits my shooting style perfectly and should serve me well for several years.