Sign a petition for menu selectable lens profiles

hankg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, let's see how many users would like to see menu selectable lens profiles in a future firmware update. Is it a few online malcontents (like me :) ), or is it a feature that the majority of customers want.

"The undersigned M8 users respectfully request that Leica include an option for user selectable lens profiles via the menu as soon as is possible."

Sign here:

Leica M8 selectable lens profiles Petition

Your email will remain private, even from me. Might be a good idea to put your country in the comments field.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

FYI If you remember I did send in a feature request about 2 weeks ago and this was the 1st option we wanted. We also need to wait for firmware too and see if this is going to beincluded now or later.

FYI If you remember I did send in a feature request about 2 weeks ago and this was the 1st option we wanted. We also need to wait for firmware too and see if this is going to beincluded now or later.

Yes, but from Leica's statements thus far they don't sound convinced (including statements post-feature request). More useful customer feedback should always be welcome. The comments by the signators so far are interesting and informative, giving insight as to why users want the feature.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I posted my endorsment even if I am not yet an owner of M8: but when I think to all the lenses I plan to use, this seems to me an intelligent request; of course, this does not mean that the 6 digit coding/recognizing system has to be thrown away: simply an option that users can enjioy : to me, Leica is freedom of shooting with no tech constrictions: user selectable profiles go in this direction.

As many on this list know, I've been arguing for this feature (to Leica) since October. No luck yet. We simply need them to provide an option to manually select the same *Leica* lenses that are recognized by current lens codes. I'll keep raising the topic to them in articles and in discussions. I'm against the M8 working as a closed system and have written often about that.

Such an option wouldn't make 6-bit coding useless at all. Coding provides for automatic lens detection, menu-selection would require the photographer to manually specify the lens each time he mounted one. That's a big difference when one is working quickly.

Cheers,

Sean

This is not going to happen because it effectively renders the 6-bit coding scheme useless and bogus ... am I not right? ;)

Not at all. You would have 3 options:

1. Lens coding on

2. Lens coding off

3. Manual-select lens profile (with a submenu-list)

If you have all coded lenses. Just leave it on all the time. It's convenient and automatic as Leica intended. However, many of us have only coded wide angles and have other lenses that either can't be coded or we choose not to code. This gives us more options.

A petition is not necessary. Sean beat them up about this *Last Year*

It has appeared over and over in the Digiforum

Guy put it on his list

I think they have heard the request.

From the silence (no "nudge, nudge" from the beta testers), we can infer that the Gnomes of Solms have not given any signals about it.

I think it would be very nice, NOT because I have any alien lenses, but because I don't want to send my lenses in for coding. Well ... unless I can borrow half of Guy's lenses while my few are in the shop. :)

Now, if I had a half dozen CV lenses, I would have no problem sending in my lenses for coding; I'd have substitutes.

A petition is not necessary. Sean beat them up about this *Last Year*

It has appeared over and over in the Digiforum

Guy put it on his list

I think they have heard the request.

Still, it's not the same as having a large list of users affirming that they support the request. If indeed we manage to get a large list to sign. There is always the question of whether this is the desire of a vocal few or the vast majority of customers and potential customers. It seems from the sound of Leica's response that it will take a lot to get them to move on this.

So I would recommend signing the petition.

One more point.

Before the IR problem became known 6-bit coding was an added feature that you could purchase if you desired, not a requirement. Now that we know the effect of cyan shift on wide angle lenses it has become a requirement to overcome a shortcoming of the camera. That being the case I think it's only right that Leica restore the situation to 6-bit being a convenient option to those that want it, can afford it and have lenses that are codable.

Well, let's see how many users would like to see menu selectable lens profiles in a future firmware update. Is it a few online malcontents (like me :) ), or is it a feature that the majority of customers want.

"The undersigned M8 users respectfully request that Leica include an option for user selectable lens profiles via the menu as soon as is possible."

Sign here:

Leica M8 selectable lens profiles Petition

Your email will remain private, even from me. Might be a good idea to put your country in the comments field.

Whats that for an idea ? You have a 4200,-EUR cam and Lenses which costs about 2000,-EUR and arent willing to spend 99,-EUR for lens coding ?

Whats that for an idea ? You have a 4200,-EUR cam and Lenses which costs about 2000,-EUR and arent willing to spend 99,-EUR for lens coding ?

Jan,

There are lots of us on this forum who are using a mixture of lenses from Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander, Canon, Nikon and in my case Zenit. On some of these coding will not be possible or very difficult, as there is a screw head on the bayonet flange, in the area of the coding pits. If I could find someone to code my Zeiss lenses I would. I spent days trying and failing with ink and paint markers. I will be sending my Leica Elmarit 90 and if I get a Summicron 50, that too, for coding once the rush has died down, irrespective of whether or not manual coding is available. I would doubt if Leica sold many additional lenses, where the decision was driven by coded or not coded, whereas they might well sell more M8's to those thousands of people who have a bag full of non-coded/non-codable lenses, if the manual option were available. If people like Sean and Guy think it is in Leica's long term interest, I for one am not going to argue with them.

Wilson

Jan,

There are lots of us on this forum who are using a mixture of lenses from Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander, Canon, Nikon and in my case Zenit. On some of these coding will not be possible or very difficult,

Remember that Leica has a patent on it's 6-bit coding so having a machine shop code your non-supported lens is actually illegal. In addition if everyone who owns an M8 sent all their lenses to be coded tomorrow Leica would not be able to handle the volume. As it is now in the USA it's 3 weeks for coding.

When the camera was announced it's main feature was compatibility with the entire universe of M mount lenses. One of the most impressive collections of glass in the photographic world. The IR/6-bit coding business has thrown a monkey wrench into that primary benifit. Leica should restore the full promise of what it sold with the original M8 announcement.

One more point.

Before the IR problem became known 6-bit coding was an added feature that you could purchase if you desired, not a requirement. Now that we know the effect of cyan shift on wide angle lenses it has become a requirement to overcome a shortcoming of the camera. That being the case I think it's only right that Leica restore the situation to 6-bit being a convenient option to those that want it, can afford it and have lenses that are codable.

I made that exact argument to them and in previous articles. Coding for wide angle lenses is no longer an optional feature (for color work). They're aware that many people want this.

Cheers,

Sean

Remember that Leica has a patent on it's 6-bit coding so having a machine shop code your non-supported lens is actually illegal.
I am not a lawyer but I don't think this is true, as long as it's for your own personal non-commercial purposes.

Remember that Leica has a patent on it's 6-bit coding so having a machine shop code your non-supported lens is actually illegal.

Hank,

I believe you're mistaken. If someone were to sell 6-bit coded M-mount lenses (that specifically violated the patent), I believe that would be illegal. Individuals modifying adapters or lenses on their own (or for others for free) isn't violating patent, to the best of my understanding. Attorneys on the list can clarify this further.

Cheers,

Sean