M8 goes uncompressed DNG

bla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Erik,

Besides eliminating the magenta cast for particular fabric, what's the effect of Leica UV/IR filter?

Please advise, thanks.

Thomas Chen

The UV/IR filter blocks out light outside of what normal humans cans see, so the camera sensor only receives light in the 'visible' range.

All UV light is cut off/blocked, especially relevant mid day near the equator high altitude.

All IR is cut off/blocked, this is relevant for IR reflective material such as leaves.

• Like 1

I am leaving for a three week vacation on Thursday and I'll take my Notebook with me. Let's see what I manage to do in the evenings... If everything works as planned we should at least have a working PC executable soon. And I already created the necessary prerequisites for porting to OSX 10.8 eventually.

Anyway my camera will be set to RAW for the trip ^^

Greetings,

Arvid

• Like 2

I am leaving for a three week vacation on Thursday and I'll take my Notebook with me. Let's see what I manage to do in the evenings... If everything works as planned we should at least have a working PC executable soon. And I already created the necessary prerequisites for porting to OSX 10.8 eventually.

Greetings,

Arvid

Arvid,

Thanks and have fun in your vacation!

Thomas Chen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings,

Arvid

Have a good holiday mate

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

sorry for being quiet for quite some time... :)

Here is a status update:

As my previous Program only consisted of Matlab scripts which are neither fast nor easily compiled as a executable I rewrote the whole thing in C++.

It is right now a command-line tool as I didn't bother with a proper interface yet. It was developed on windows but I plan to compile it for Mac, too (I really hope that doesn't yield too much trouble...=) ).

Well, as of now under Windows it does a pretty good job. There are some caveats that might be discussed later.

Right now I wonder what to do with the stuff. I do not plan to sell it, because it just gives me too much trouble encouraging you to pay me for my work. :)

My idea would be to offer you the possibility to support my work via one or several of the following methods:

1.) You test the tool and report bugs, glitches and other annoying things to me.

2.) I will give you some planned features, you vote what you need the most and I'll see what I can do.

3.) You spread the word to other fellow M8 users who might be interested (maybe if you are member in other forums, whatever)

4.) If you like it or want me to continue you may donate some money to the cause as it helps me to spare some time for developing.

Feel free to post your feelings and ideas here. Maybe that helps creating a way to allow me to complete a really handy tool for getting the best out of your M8! I plan on opening a new thread when I make the application publicly available.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Arvid

PS: My dream: once there will be a sufficient amount of people using it that Leica will enable the RAW+JPEG or maybe a RAW+EXIF option permanently. It's a little bit annoying to reactivate this on every reboot and it would be much faster without the useless JPEG file to write...

• Like 5

Arvid, thanks a lot for sharing, I'd be happy to be test when your program is interfaced and compiled for Mac.

Cheers

Jean-Marc.

Hello everyone,

sorry for being quiet for quite some time... :)

Here is a status update:

As my previous Program only consisted of Matlab scripts which are neither fast nor easily compiled as a executable I rewrote the whole thing in C++.

It is right now a command-line tool as I didn't bother with a proper interface yet. It was developed on windows but I plan to compile it for Mac, too (I really hope that doesn't yield too much trouble...=) ).

Well, as of now under Windows it does a pretty good job. There are some caveats that might be discussed later.

Right now I wonder what to do with the stuff. I do not plan to sell it, because it just gives me too much trouble encouraging you to pay me for my work. :)

My idea would be to offer you the possibility to support my work via one or several of the following methods:

1.) You test the tool and report bugs, glitches and other annoying things to me.

2.) I will give you some planned features, you vote what you need the most and I'll see what I can do.

3.) You spread the word to other fellow M8 users who might be interested (maybe if you are member in other forums, whatever)

4.) If you like it or want me to continue you may donate some money to the cause as it helps me to spare some time for developing.

Feel free to post your feelings and ideas here. Maybe that helps creating a way to allow me to complete a really handy tool for getting the best out of your M8! I plan on opening a new thread when I make the application publicly available.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Arvid

PS: My dream: once there will be a sufficient amount of people using it that Leica will enable the RAW+JPEG or maybe a RAW+EXIF option permanently. It's a little bit annoying to reactivate this on every reboot and it would be much faster without the useless JPEG file to write...

Arvid,

Glad to see you've finished the task.

I would like to try the Window version (Win 7 in my computer) first.

Thank you very much.

Thomas Chen

I would happily donate to this endeavour, as well. :D

I have downloaded your files and I am very impressed with the 14 bit images from the camera, thank you for making this possible.

To see your DNG files in CS6 and work with them reminds me of the first time I saw raw files from my Nikon D1 when I got that many many years ago.

Please make your converter available, do consider charging fee or donation.

I would happily pay for such software, we pay for many other similar Pro products online.

• Like 1

...PS: My dream: once there will be a sufficient amount of people using it that Leica will enable the RAW+JPEG or maybe a RAW+EXIF option permanently. It's a little bit annoying to reactivate this on every reboot and it would be much faster without the useless JPEG file to write...

Yes, a RAW+EXIF option would be awesome.

Thank you for all your nice work so far. I'm happy to contribute through testing and donation.

Hello,

I have two questions that I don't think I've seen asked or answered so far. Hopefully they're not silly ones. Anyway, I saw it described that when the author's new file type is written out to the card the raw part writes quickly then is followed by the long wait for the M8's jpeg engine to chug thru it's processes.

My questions are:

1) Why is the jpeg image file created?

There doesn't seem to be an obvious need for everyone to manditorily have their raw files contain the lamentable output from the M8's flawed jpeg engine.

2) Is the raw part of the file actually being written to the card with the speed & efficiency it sounded like it is?

It seems to me that if this is accurate the limitations of the small frame buffer of the M8 and the infuriating way it grind to a near halt as it struggles to clear that buffer might nearly become things of the past.

Anyway, I Hope my questions prove helpful.

Sincerely,

Richard in Michigan

Hello,

..., I saw it described that when the author's new file type is written out to the card the raw part writes quickly then is followed by the long wait for the M8's jpeg engine to chug thru it's processes. ....

Can I ask where you read this?

My guess is that the main part of the time is writing the large RAW file.

Can I ask where you read this?

Perhaps from link #24 in this thread. Let's me quote Arvid's posting:

"Thomas,

you can actually see how quick it is. At least on my M8 with the relatively slow 30M/s SanDisk Extreme the SD access light blinks for a short moment during the writing of the RAW then stops and then blinks forever on the JPG. It would be great to switch off the JPG and just put a small file with the exif data instead...

If you like you can try the files from the dropbox folder and see for yourself if there is an improvement.

Additionally I invite you to give me a RAW+JPG and maybe another DNG so I can try it with a different M8 and lens.

Greetings,

Arvid "

• Like 2

Hello Richard,

1) Why is the jpeg image file created?
Well I think it is because the RAW+JPEG Mode is only there for testing purposes. And especially for the testing of the JPEG engine...

2) Is the raw part of the file actually being written to the card with the speed & efficiency it sounded like it is?
I do not know what is written from the buffer to the card at what time, I just noticed when setting the output to Fine JPEG only my Leica flashes the f̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r LED at me for ages...

Maybe one should do some actual measurements or try to pull the card out of the slot after the first blinking part ends and before or while the second is writing. Might hiccup the M8 though... :)

At least I had no problems with continuous shooting even when shooting RAW+JPEG fine. I have done roughly 500 images in RAW and it worked without a flaw.

You can even set the camera to sleep after 2min but after wake-up you have to do the button dance again... and if you forget to, you're shooting JPEG only. Yay!

Greetings,

Arvid

• Like 2