M8 goes uncompressed DNG

bla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Thomas: switch on the camera, hit 4 times right button, 3 times left button, 1 time right button and info. A menu should appear. Touch the shutter button to make it go away. Now the selection should be available. :)

Greetings,

Arvid

Arvid,

Thanks a lot for advice.

A menu starts with "firmware info" dose appear, I touch the button to make it away, however, nothing happens. Do I make something wrong? or should I wait for couple of second before the selection show up.

Best Regards,

THomas Chen

Hello Thomas,

after the menu disappears you can go to set and where you normally select DNG, DNG+JPG fine and so on there will be the additional option. RAW+Fine JPG or something like that. :)

Greetings,

Arvid

Hello Thomas,

after the menu disappears you can go to set and where you normally select DNG, DNG+JPG fine and so on there will be the additional option. RAW+Fine JPG or something like that. :)

Greetings,

Arvid

Arvid,

Thanks a lot, I got it.

From the chart in the page 56 of LFI 2/2007, the uncompressed 12 bit format (or 14 bitd format, perhaps) excels in revolving tone value in the midtones and highlights, while M8's compressed 8 bits format goes ahead in the darks - under 4 EV - from the chart.

I guess the uncompressed format in M8 will enhance the tonality and details in portrait.

When M8 was brought out, Leica recommended the SANDISK Extreme III SD card with the 15M/s Read/Write capacity. Nowadays we have 30M/s, 45M/s and even 95 M/s SANDISK SDHC card. Perhaps the high speed card can offset the storage time for 20M uncompresded format, if M8 writing interface allows.

Best Regards,

Thomas Chen

• Like 1

Thomas,

you can actually see how quick it is. At least on my M8 with the relatively slow 30M/s SanDisk Extreme the SD access light blinks for a short moment during the writing of the RAW then stops and then blinks forever on the JPG. It would be great to switch off the JPG and just put a small file with the exif data instead...

If you like you can try the files from the dropbox folder and see for yourself if there is an improvement.

Additionally I invite you to give me a RAW+JPG and maybe another DNG so I can try it with a different M8 and lens.

Greetings,

Arvid

Thomas,

you can actually see how quick it is. At least on my M8 with the relatively slow 30M/s SanDisk Extreme the SD access light blinks for a short moment during the writing of the RAW then stops and then blinks forever on the JPG. It would be great to switch off the JPG and just put a small file with the exif data instead...

If you like you can try the files from the dropbox folder and see for yourself if there is an improvement.

Additionally I invite you to give me a RAW+JPG and maybe another DNG so I can try it with a different M8 and lens.

Greetings,

Arvid

Arvid,

In fact I've downloaded your folder in the Dropbox. It looks a little bit more detail in the shadow by compressed 8 bits format (on APPLE 15" Mac Pro Retina). However, as the images are taken hand-held, perspectives are not the same. I'm not sure this is a qualified compariosn.

I can find only the RAW+JPG fine on the M8 menu, no RAW+JPG. My firmware is 2.014, the latest one.

At present, we are undergoing a Typhoone (Hurricane) here, it rains dog and cat. I will take some images next week on tripod and by cable release, and post it on Dropbox for you.

Best Regards,

Thomas Chen

Thomas,

they were not taken handheld. I put the camera on a tripod and used self-release to avoid camera jitter. The RAW files have different fov because the whole sensor area is used hence more pixels in both dimensions. So it only seems like the camera has moved.

The RAW+JPG fine option is what I meant. That's the only one there is with 2.014.

I hope the weather clears soon!

Greetings,

Arvid

I would love to give this a try, once an option to develop these currently unsupported files on a Mac.

I am very curious, how these files compare with identical lenses form a tripod between M8, Mono, M9.

If I had the Mono and M9, I'd be having a serious luxury problem and I'd do the comparison. :) If you have them you can do the test for yourself, send me the RAW file and I'll send you the converted DNG. You could develop that on your Mac.

The conversion takes less than a second, so up- and download would be the most time consuming processes.

@all: if you want me to perform some specific tests or have your RAW file converted or have more detailed questions feel free to post or pm! :)

@tobey: it is a little more complicated than your approach. :) You cannot open the RAW files in any program without proper conversion to DNG first.

Greetings,

Arvid

Edited by bla

@lct: that depends on the feedback and response of the M8 users. If there are only a couple of persons interested I do not think it's worth the (my) additional time. Right now my focus is on improving the conversion. Once it runs to my liking I could make it a standalone application (maybe command line only cause there's no real need for a interface yet).

Arvid

• Like 1

Please a conversion to DNG otherwise this is all wasted.

Of course DNG. Did you have a look at the dropbox folder from post 1? There are some examples. The 20Mb DNG files have been created from the RAW... (as you can see by their size which is twice the normal size: 8bit=>16bit) (actually it's 14bit stored in 16bit numbers... :)

Arvid

• Like 1

Of course DNG. Did you have a look at the dropbox folder from post 1? There are some examples. The 20Mb DNG files have been created from the RAW... (as you can see by their size which is twice the normal size: 8bit=>16bit) (actually it's 14bit stored in 16bit numbers... :)

Arvid

Arvid,

I agree with Tobey. With the first phase conversion App you have donet, we can do the RAW > DNG conversion and test the performance on editing softwares while you are refining the APP. The more feedback you have from us the better you can refine your endeavor, a virtuous circle.

It will be fine if the Adobe DNG converter can do the job, however, I doubt.

It's supposed that only few people is interested in the science research-like project of this sort unless he or she is a seasoned image processing literate.

Best Regards,

Thomas Chen

@lct: that depends on the feedback and response of the M8 users. If there are only a couple of persons interested I do not think it's worth the (my) additional time.

Arvid

Arvid

I think that there may be quite a few of us interested. I am. All that we will require is the conversion RAW to DNG as anyone seriously interested in such software will be using DNG for certain.

@lct: that depends on the feedback and response of the M8 users. If there are only a couple of persons interested I do not think it's worth the (my) additional time. Right now my focus is on improving the conversion. Once it runs to my liking I could make it a standalone application (maybe command line only cause there's no real need for a interface yet).

Arvid

Yes, please make it a standalone application.

I'm VERY interested. Thanks!

Arvid

Arvid,

I took a picture by M8 with the JPG fine + RAW setting. Photoshop CS6 can open the RAW file but renders a strange grayscale image (nothing to do with motif), however, other softwares don't even open it. They are Adobe DNG converter, Aperture 3, Capture One 4 and Silkypix 3.

For those who are interested to compare the effect of uncompressed 14-bit RAW with the native M8 (14 to 8 bits compressed) DNG, you may take pictures consectively with the setting JPG fine + DNG and then JPG fine + RAW to see the the difference. This is an option for observation before Arvid's converter is available (no matter for either a linear DNG or a Gamma-corrected DNG as some softwares can deal with it.)

Best Regards,

Thomas Chen