Sign in to follow this  
alyssa

R8 film transport problem- ripped sprockets

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Having a problem with ripped sprockets when trying to advance film. The rewind lever is not moving smoothly all the time. Someimes it moves freely then hangs up and is extemely rigid suddenly. So at random intervals is causes too much tension and rips sprockets when advancing film. (The rewind knob does not move properly in either direction.) Anyone know a possible cause and a fix for this issue?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Alyssa, I don't like the sound of that. It is possible a tiny screw has come loose inside and is drifting around, or the rewind shaft has had a knock and is bent, or.... I don't what else to think. Whatever it really sounds like a return to service/repair. The body will have to be stripped down to find the cause and rectify. I can't see any other possibility. I hope you have another camera meanwhile.

Others may chime in but I can't imagine their conclusions being any more cheerful. Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am concerned it is something I am inept at fixing. It is possible it had an impact and is slightly bent as I can be a little hard on my equipment but I don't know for sure of anything that happened to it. Problem started suddenly on a roll at exposure 9. lever advance got stiff halfway then stopped forwarding the film as it ripped a single sproket hole(top and bottom of film). Tried lubricating rewind lever and see what could be rubbing or bent. Unable to see any culprit.

Sigh. I've never had an inexpensive repair...

Edited by alyssa
skipped a word

The law of averages says, "if you have enough repairs, one of them will be inexpensive!"

Here's hoping.

P.S. The R8 is a fabulous camera. Worth whatever to fix.

Sounds a lot like the issue some have had with their film M's. I understand it is due to washers in the rewind mechanism needing adjustment/refitting. A very easy repair, if that's what it is of course!