R8 - ripped sprockets - cause?

alyssa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I am searching for help:

What could cause extreme stiffness in rewind lever?

There is too much tension and causing ripped sprockets, therefore not allowing for full frame advancement of film. I can move advance lever maybe half-way then it rips and does not move film forward the entire frame.

This happened suddenly, and again on a test roll i just tried. But not on every frame.

Also, worth noting- the rewind lever does not move smoothly in any direction now, even to rewind.

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed!

thanks

Sounds awful and I have no idea how to fix it. It would be best to find a good Leica tech and get it sorted.

I can't imagine it being to expensive but if a cog or other parts needs replacing it could take a while to get the right part.

What I would check is that there is no foreign material in the camera. Maybe there's a small piece of film somewhere around the take up spool?

FWIW... I've never heard of a Leica R8/9 having a problem like this. Some stiffness yes (that was resolved with usage) But to tear film sprockets???

Hope it works out OK. :)

• Like 1

Logically, it would appear that there must be inappropriate lack of movement between the sprockets and the take-up spool. The only thing I can suggest you try is checking the double exposure lever, because it's supposed to put a brake on the film. Try sliding it on and off, and gently moving the rewind knob and depressing the shutter. It's a long shot I know, but maybe worth a try.

• Like 1