Anatomy of the Leica M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello again, Mark!

Just one more thing, I have the flexi clamps but my concern is whether or not I have to remove the mode dial and the ON/OFF switch from the top of the camera in order to be able to lift the top off?

Also, will I have to de-solder anything when I lift the top off? I saw in one of your very first pictures that there is a flat cable on the left side of the photo that is being folded away from the top with a metal part at it's end.

I am not that good at soldering, that's why I ask.

Thanks again

Milos

No, removing the top is quite easy - remove the 5 screws to release the plastic plate, remove the end screw inside the battery compartment and the screw (which is captive) at the other end. Ease the top off and disconnect the flexprint by lifting the locking levers either side and gently pulling the flex out.

As always, you will not need to use any force, work in as dust free an environment as you can find and avoid touching things with greasy fingers. Cloth or latex gloves are good.

Make sure you use the correct tools - P000 for the plastic plate screws (which are quite tight) and P00 for the other too. Remember the best way to remove a cross head screw is to use the correct shaped tip and press reasonably hard into the screw while applying torque to prevent the screwdriver riding up and damaging the screw-head.

• Like 2

Hello again,

I postponed the action until I clarify one more thing. I have uploaded a photo of the battery compartment to make sure I will unscrew the right one. Is it #1, #2 or #3?

THANKS

Milos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's wait for Mark's reply, but having done the thing twice for the very same reason, I think none of these three screws is the right one (my M8 is in Wetzlar right now so I can't show you).

You should look for a little hole on both sides of the camera where the screwdriver goes up until it reaches a screw that is directly attached to the top cover.

• Like 1

Alex,

Mark said it's the one that goes up on the other side, when the plastic cover is removed, AND one of the three screws in the battery compartment.

My guess is the number 3 on my picture, because Mark refers to it as the "screw near the end", but I just want to be 100% positive.

And I am doing this on an M9...

Why is your camera at Wetzlar (Solms)?

Alex,

When you removed the top for cleaning, was it difficult to detach it from the bottom?

Was it easy to put it back? Please share your experience.

Thanks

Milos

Milos,

the operation is very simple. The top comes out easily but beware of the circuit which is quite short. I didn't detach it though, because you can anyway turn the top upside down to inspect and clean it. It is quite heavy as Mark points out. I cleaned it blowing some air in the viewfinder and that was ok.

Then you just replace it in its position, press it down and you screw again the famous two screws from the bottom! The whole thing took ten minutes.

But let's wait for Mark's answer, I am in no way as good and experienced as he is!

It looks like I won't be getting a confirmation on the exact screw anytime soon... I re-read Mark's posts again and again trying to figure out what the "end screw" exactly means, whether it is the one towards the rear end or the right end of the camera, but I am still not sure... If I only knew that if I choose to unscrew the wrong one, I won't be doing something fatal to the camera, I'd go for it...anyone wishes to comment, please do so before it's too late..anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, missed this. It's screw 3 you need to undo to release one end of the top cover. There's a corresponding screw at the other end which is captive (meaning it does not come out when undone) and is reached by inserting a long cross-head screwdriver into the hole; you can "feel" for the screwhead with the screwdriver.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...