Anatomy of the Leica M8

A masterpiece of packaging. I have an even higher respect for my M8 after reading this.

Next time I take my 1993 Kodak DCS200 apart to reseat the electrical contacts and the SCSI drive, I'll post a thread on it. Needless to say, it is MUCH simpler! Digital cameras have become more complex over the past 20 years.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the link to the D2H teardown which shows the internals of a DSLR are rather more complex - especially mechanically - than the Leica M8 and, as expected, the level of electronic integration is higher too.

This might also explain the demise of the Leica R10 project - a comparable level of complexity just cannot be made in the likely volumes at a price which would be competitive.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the D2H teardown which shows the internals of a DSLR are rather more complex - especially mechanically - than the Leica M8 and, as expected, the level of electronic integration is higher too.

This might also explain the demise of the Leica R10 project - a comparable level of complexity just cannot be made in the likely volumes at a price which would be competitive.

Yes, ChrisL - many thanks for the link as well!

I truly enjoyed, seeing inside the Nikon DSLR.

I use a D3 mainly for motor sports and do not cease, to be amazed at the high level of sophisticated complications.

It is not just the high level of complicated mechanics and electronics in symbiosis, but especially how darn bullet proof these machines run!

It is very interesting, to see also, at how low a price spare parts come + the obvious ease, one can purchase them.

The comment of not wanting, to swim with sharks in the DSLR game indeed gets some perspective, having a good look into these machines.

...This might also explain the demise of the Leica R10 project - a comparable level of complexity just cannot be made in the likely volumes at a price which would be competitive.

Did we need such a complexity? An R10 simple as a Leicaflex SL or an R4s would have been perfect. Oh well... :rolleyes:

I am delighted it has reignited interest in the thread, which does get frequent references here, and pleased you have all found the D2H interesting. I came across it whilst looking at this model, now selling for around £300 :rolleyes:, as I thought it an inexpensive route just to play with a pro (whatever that means :) ) DSLR for a while. F2,F4 and F100 already ;)

Best to all

ChrisL

I am delighted it has reignited interest in the thread, which does get frequent references here, and pleased you have all found the D2H interesting. I came across it whilst looking at this model, now selling for around £300 :rolleyes:, as I thought it an inexpensive route just to play with a pro (whatever that means :) ) DSLR for a while. F2,F4 and F100 already ;)

Best to all

ChrisL

Although the money, you named sounds like money to play (I don't know, what condition a D2h might be in for this price), consider three things, before jumping for it:

- just 4MP (this will be your killer, if you plan, to print regularly big or even dare, to crop, no arguments about "Yeah, but back in 2005, I used to make great prints @ 13x19 with 4MP, digital moved on a lot)

- weird crop factor - on top of the limited resolution, you have the weird APS-C ratio and a x1.5 crop - consider this, if you can work with this

Check your glass - if telephoto is, what you want with this body, make sure, it is long enough, as cropping @ 4MP is limited (other than for web or newspaper)

- third point: old batteries - included batteries are now 4-5 years old. New batteries for the Nikon pro bodies don't come cheap (about similar priced as Leica M batteries)

If you are serious about a digital Nikon for the best output at a bargain price, THE camera, to look it at the moment seems to be the D7000.

If you want an old battleship, to pull through the mud, the D2h is good (given, the seals are still good after half a decade).

I use a D3 and love it for: S P E E D, invincibility in all weather (shoot for hours in the rain unprotected and don't sweat the "Will my Leica M hold against moisture?").

Spare parts come a lot cheaper than in Leica land (if you can find someone, who repairs it for you or you are handy by yourself).

I would not go for a D2h.

It is ancient technology by todays standards - every entry level Nikon DSLR will give superior files Today.

It is nice though, to have 8 fps, if you need that kind of speed (hammering every scene with machine gun style is not need, but shooting quick bursts in select situations, where you might want a sequence of a move or the best possible frame in a difficult, fleeting moment is).

The Nikon pro bodies are tough, if you need something cheap and sturdy, to hammer nails. If you have screw mount lenses, you will be struck with awe, to see the Dx bodies twist them in half, when focussing (think Nikon F5 and D1,2,3 bodies).

Decide, what you need: interesting toy or image quality?

Is there a Nikon F5 strip down somewhere - I suppose, it's mechanics are very, very interesting on a similar level, given it's film transport.

Decide, what you need: interesting toy or image quality?

Interesting toy :D

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated and not dismissed by the above.

Tele shoot for school sports, junior. So 8fps is good 4mp is fine, only looking at 6x4 (inches :D)

Battery, third parties are really cheap £13 7dayshop.com - Online Store

Do I care if it fails in 6 months :D

Not serious about Nikon digital just a special application and £300 buys nothing that comes close for that job.

The 7000 looks good, especially the lens compatibility quodos to Nikon. I may catch the bug we will see.

Interesting toy :D

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated and not dismissed by the above.

Tele shoot for school sports, junior. So 8fps is good 4mp is fine, only looking at 6x4 (inches :D)

Battery, third parties are really cheap £13 7dayshop.com - Online Store

Do I care if it fails in 6 months :D

Not serious about Nikon digital just a special application and £300 buys nothing that comes close for that job.

The 7000 looks good, especially the lens compatibility quodos to Nikon. I may catch the bug we will see.

That is the right attitude for a old D2h ;-) Looks, like you will like it.

I was several times very close in picking up a D7000 though.

It would be a nice upgrade to scanning my film instead of the softish 12MP sensor of the D3.

I always chickened out by the looks through it's finder, which is quite a bit smaller than the one of the F3, F5 and D3, which are gorgeous.