Anatomy of the Leica M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone thats responded,

I appreciate the support, BTW my camera was replaced with minimal cost to myself, so I'm active again with my new M8,

The damaged M8 is now a spare it's usable gives that old fashion glass plate look especially when I convert the files to B/W.

The technician is a Authorized Kodak DCS camera and back repairer for Oceania I trust him with the job of removing the filter and replacing it with a new protective cover for full spectrum capture.

Just an other note Leica Replaces the complete image sensor assembly if you damage the filter in any way,

It's happened to the local importer distributor in Oz - their technician put a little to much pressure on the sensor cover glass. (estimate to repair was A$6,000.00).

all the Best Peter

I have to say this is all quite worrying news for those us who wet clean.

Wilson, the camera has been on the market for around two and a half years and this is the first time I've heard of anyone cracking a sensor - and let's remember it wasn't the owner doing the cleaning. I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone thats responded,

I appreciate the support, BTW my camera was replaced with minimal cost to myself, so I'm active again with my new M8,

The damaged M8 is now a spare it's usable gives that old fashion glass plate look especially when I convert the files to B/W.

The technician is a Authorized Kodak DCS camera and back repairer for Oceania I trust him with the job of removing the filter and replacing it with a new protective cover for full spectrum capture.

Just an other note Leica Replaces the complete image sensor assembly if you damage the filter in any way,

It's happened to the local importer distributor in Oz - their technician put a little to much pressure on the sensor cover glass. (estimate to repair was A$6,000.00).

all the Best Peter

WELCOME TO FORUM!

WELL MY M8 HAVE TO GO BACK TO GEMANY AGAIN!

i AM CONSIDERING TO BUY NEW TOY. RICOH GX200 OR PANA LX-3.

I GUESS YOU ARE KEEEPING OLD M8, HA~

kaZ

• 5 months later...

Iain

Assuming you have the correct tools...

1. Remove the base plate, battery and memory card

2. Using a P000 cross-head screwdriver, remove the 5 screws in the base and lift out the plastic plate.

3. Insert a 75mm P00 cross-head screwdriver into the hole highlighted on the right and feel for the captive cross-head screw at the top of the camera.

4. Tighten the screw, do not overtighten; you do not want to strip the thread of the lug in the top plate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

btw:

I just noticed that during one of the three times my M8 has seen ER Solms so far, a small yellow dot was painted at the inner top of the battery compartment (inside, hardly visible).

Could this be some kind of mark to show that certain hardware fixes (e.g. faulty transistor) have already been made?

Has anyone else seen a similiar mark in their camera?

I´ll add a photo later...

Regards

Stefan

Edited by steich

No dots here on my upgraded cameras...

I think it's quite easy to judge when the screw is tight enough but I didn't want Iain to think it should be ultra-tight. Maybe he doesn't want to go to the lengths of sending the camera back to Solms for a 5 minute job!

Wilson, the camera has been on the market for around two and a half years and this is the first time I've heard of anyone cracking a sensor

I'm aware of TWO cracked M8 sensors just in Austin, where I live. It's not common, but it does happen. We may have rather more M8s per capita here than elsewhere, but I don't think my sample is wildly non-representative.

Thanks Jono for your kind words. Hope you're well and the hound too!

I'm fab thanks . . hound is off to the vet for a lump, but otherwise hale and hearty (going a little grey around the muzzle).

I hope all is well in Nortonland . . . I presume you'll repeat this performance when the S2 comes out ? :)

Mark,

Thanks for the guided tour of the M8 innards. I will have even more appreciation for it the bexttime I lift it to my eye.

Having been in the semiconductor industry I found the chip sets interesting, some familiar competitors.

Great job and thanks again!

Kent