Anatomy of the Leica M8

I would love to see empirical evidence of a *significant* negative impact on image quality caused by a proper IR filter over the sensor. Since on-lens filters have their own impact, I would be interested to see a test demonstrating that one is better than the other.

If Leica put weak IR filtration over the sensor on purpose, then they must have run the tests. I still have a nagging suspicion that they just goofed.

You may be right that Leica goofed in anticipating the full impact of increased IR transmission, rolopix, but there's no need to test their explanation. It's basic optics. And I think Leica and Kodak do pretty well when it comes to optics.

If you want to try it, buy Mark's camera and install your own thicker filter or remove the glass that's there and have it given the interference coatings.

And please quit saying "a proper IR filter." What is "proper" in your mind may not be proper for photographers.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! There are a lot of people willing to share a lot of knowledge around here.

--HC

Mike,

Half pressing the shutter release will switch on the power supplies for the DSP board and the whistling you are hearing may be down to the ferrite core of one of the inductors not being anchored to the board. Instead, it vibrates in sympathy with the electrical current flowing through it.

It's not right, it doesn't happen on my M8s. You might want to refer it back to Leica.

Amazing. And I thought I was a maverick adjusting my rangefinder....

Mark,

Any thoughts on the overall durabilty of the camera in regards to impact on the outer and potential affect on the innards? M's could take an incredible amount of beating and denting with very little affect on the operations besides the rangefinder going out of whack. Not that I plan on anything like that anytime soon, but one never knows....

Charles

Charles,

All depends on the strength of the shell formed by the front and rear castings, made of magnesium/aluminium alloy, and the top and bottom covers, made of brass. I think that will provide a very durable home for the electronics which will shrug off bumps and knocks.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the fine quality - traditional mechanical engineering and top class electronics.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mike,

Half pressing the shutter release will switch on the power supplies for the DSP board and the whistling you are hearing may be down to the ferrite core of one of the inductors not being anchored to the board. Instead, it vibrates in sympathy with the electrical current flowing through it.

It's not right, it doesn't happen on my M8s. You might want to refer it back to Leica.

Mark, Mike,

mine also emits a high-pitched, albeit low-volume noise when the shutter release is half-pressed. The noise goes away about one second after the button is released. I thought it was a normal behaviour. Are you sure it's not right? Could it be that given its very low volume it might go unnoticed unless one is in a very silent room? Or maybe this is just my inner self hoping that I don't have to turn in the camera for inspection :-)

BTW Mark, great thread, and many thanks for you effort: you definitely shed some light on a very fine piece of equipment.

Cheers,

Luca

Mark, do you repair furnaces? Stereo components? Cars? iPods? Computers?

This is amazing--arguably the most fascinating post of all time on this User Forum.

I think if I'd been running Leica a couple of months ago when the frustrations were at a peak regarding IR issues and all the other problems, my best defense would have been to do what you did and put it on line to show laymen like me how elaborate this machine really is. It's astounding.

Thanks, SP

I wonder if the ar RoHS compliant and are using lead-free solder? If not, they may have a problem.

Hi,

i guess they do! When you have a look at the assembly of the Digilux 2, you can see a"PbF" on the Board. Yes, the M8 is a totally different gear, but Leica won't be so crazy to sell a new camera not RoHS compliant. As far as i can see they used lead-free solder. It looks a little bit different.

Reiner

Mark,

I have one question on the mechanical strenght of the shell that you might be able to answer. How are the eyelets (for the neckstrap) attached to the front casting? I am wondering if they would be able to withstand years use when the strap is attached to one eyelet only (see attached image).

What do you think?

Thanks,

Luca

strap.hanging.small.web.jpg

Guest kissov

It saddens me, just another computer with a lens, gone are the days when the precision of a Leica was akin to a Swiss watch.

Today others from the east do it so much better. The end of an era, welcome to the time menus, black screens, and dead batteries.

Guest kissov

No follower of Ned Ludd here. All I am saying is Leica do what you do best. What do we need? adjustment for stop, speed, and ISO. Get rid of the rest of it, put the screen and processing in a seperate box like a PDA, then you could use a full size sensor at the correct distance from the rear element, use a lever to cock the shutter (Leica you know how to do that). Think of the playback screen you could have in your pocket with all kinds of computer power to "download" your RAW shots into, keep it with you or wait till you get home.

The fact that they use more commonly available components, will allow repair for a far longer period, and allow camera support far longer than other manufacturers who use more specialized components which will have a shorter life. The design looks very good and seems to use qulity components and flex circuits seem top quality. The clamped shutter corner does seem a mistery when the hole is right there to tie it down with a screw. Could this possibly be some sort of adjustment consideration for proper alignment? Strange.