Digilux 2 sensor replacement no longer free (moved from Do Digilux 2 photos ..)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's unreasonable to expect spare sensors to be available for 10 year old cameras and even if they were, the cost of replacement would likely be as much if not more than the camera is worth.

It's not clear from your post whether you want to buy a used D2 or have an existing D2 repaired - the reply from Leica Mayfair suggests the latter.

Used D2 cameras with SNs above 3XXXXXX are regularly offered for sale so it's worth browsing UK dealers' used camera offerings to try and find one.

OTOH might be better to move on and consider a later Leica digital compact … e.g. this afternoon I saw a Leica X1 listed by a UK Premier dealer for £425. Very different to a D2 but capable of results as good as those from a Leica digital rangefinder.

dunk

Thank you dkpeterborough,

I've never owned a Leica before and the D2's looks appealed to me.Also I do not care to own a camera which has more gadgets on it than I need.I have other gear for recording audio/visual.

I bought a bunch of non working/cheap compacts last year and found that I could repair them quite easily,so I'm willing to have a go at replacing the sensor on a camera which I have not bought yet,if I could source the sensor.ATM I don't even have a part number.

Regards,,,John.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the part number for the sensor for the D2?.

Apparently the Sony DSC-F717 uses the same sensor and it is still available.Part number ICX 282F.

I still haven't bought a D2 yet,,,still hoping for confirmation that I will be able to buy a new sensor for it.

Thanks again,,John.

Thank you David,

I found this site,

Panasonic LC1 & Leica Digilux 2 disassembly guide | Repair notes

and the sensor doesn't look the same to me as the Sony DSC-F717.The seller of the sensor has just advised me that they are not interchangeable.

I'm guessing that they used the same chip but the surrounding hardware is different.

Thanks for your input,,,John.

• Like 1

There is hope yet,,,,,,,

Thank you for your email. We do repair and service Leica Digilux cameras and can supply and fit CCD's and would be happy to help.

We offer a FREE estimate and would ask that you bring your equipment along to one of our branches. We can then provide the estimate after our technicians have taken a look!

If you wish to post your equipment to us, please post it to our Clerkenwell branch (see address below). Please send with a covering letter, which you can download from our website.

Please see: http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/#/free-estimates/4574608552

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Sendean Cameras

You're putting a lot of time and effort into repairing a camera you do not yet have for which sensors are not available. If Leica cannot source replacement sensors what chance is there that another repairer would have one? Good luck but at the end of the day the cost of your project, if completion is feasible, is likely to exceed that of a usable s/h D2 with a Mk 2 sensor already in place - especially if fitted by another repairer. The repairer's reply does not state if they specifically have a D2 sensor.

dunk

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You're putting a lot of time and effort into repairing a camera you do not yet have for which sensors are not available. If Leica cannot source replacement sensors what chance is there that another repairer would have one? Good luck but at the end of the day the cost of your project, if completion is feasible, is likely to exceed that of a usable s/h D2 with a Mk 2 sensor already in place - especially if fitted by another repairer. The repairer's reply does not state if they specifically have a D2 sensor.

dunk

My time and effort paid off.I have stripped and repaired several D2/LC1 cameras now.I also removed the chip from a Sony F717 sensor (brand new and never used) and soldered it into a Leica sensor.That dead Digilux 2 now works perfectly.

• Like 1

Congratulations.There may likely be a few forum members with dead D2s seeking your expertise and asking for quotes. Be prepared! 

dunk

Thank you Dunk,,,,,,,,since I fixed that sensor,I found a source of new Sony chips which have never been soldered.So I ordered some.

Congratulations.There may likely be a few forum members with dead D2s seeking your expertise and asking for quotes. Be prepared! 

dunk

Here is the offending article and the 2nd test shot with new sensor.Full auto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by corson

My time and effort paid off.I have stripped and repaired several D2/LC1 cameras now.I also removed the chip from a Sony F717 sensor (brand new and never used) and soldered it into a Leica sensor.That dead Digilux 2 now works perfectly.

Congratulations !!!

Should my D2 fail, I now know where to send it for repair  ;)

Fortunately, it's not SMD technology.

• Like 1

Is the Sony 717 sensor the exact item that was fitted to the Digilux 2?

The 24 pin chip you see above is the part which fails.It is the same part used on the Sony F717.The snag is that the the Leica sensor printed circuit board is completely different from the Sony PCB.So the chips have to be de-soldered and re-soldered.It's a very tricky operation.The pins are only 0.5mm apart.

My 50 watt soldering iron was unable to melt the Leica solder and I wrecked my first board.So I had to use an alloy along with flux and the solder melted at half power on the iron.

I have since found a source for the chips without the board which will shorten the operation to maybe 2-3 hours.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i have a Digilux 2 that i just purchased all seems to work but evf/lcd are black, all the menu and functions do get displayed on the evf/lcd which makes me think that my sensor is dead.

Question i have to Mr. Corson is the sensor i the picture you posted of the dead Leica sensor or of the Sony f717 unit. I am asking as i am getting ready to buy a sensor for my repair and need to know if they look axactly the same, are the filters on the sensor the same thickness? did you just swap the sensors  or did you have to swap the filters as well? Any other suggestions before i attempt this operation? 

The 24 pin part above is the ICX282AF made by Sony.This is the part I removed from my Leica.

I replaced it with an ICX282AQ from a Sony F717,,,,,,,identical part.

HOWEVER<<<<<AND IT'S A BIG HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,,,The circuit board and ribbon are COMPLETELY different in the F717 and D2.

The ICX is the ONLY part which can be used.

This means de-soldering twice and then re-soldering.

On my first attempt I wrecked the Leica board as my 50 watt soldering iron could not melt the solder.So I had to use an alloy called CHIP KWIK or KWIK CHIP or something.This reduces the melting point.It took me 4-5 hours.

Next time I will use a heat gun and solder paste.

The old sensors have 3 small washers and 2 springs below the metal plate.You have to be very careful not to drop any of these or you may have to strip the lens to find it again.

Best of British.

The first shot is the F717,,,,,,the next 2 are Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Are you sure the Leica was ICX282AF  as i can't find anything i mean zero info on this chip on the net, i found that Sony made  ICX282AK/AKF/AQ/AQF  and they seem to differ here is some info:

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_22/icx282.pdf

Was your auto  focus spot on after? or did you have to calibrate the sensor on the shims? is your camera as sharp as before?

Could you check again if the Leica chip was ending with AF?? perhaps it was AK??

AK seems to be  (complementary color, DIP)

AQ seems to be  (primary color, DIP) used in Sony F717

Did you notice any color difference after the operation??