m240 Faulty power switch? Self timer operating when not set

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know anyone who has taken an M240 apart, nor have I seen any manufacturing specs on the new "weatherproofing" techniques being applied, but there are many reports of M240s being used in light and heavy rain (I have done this) and I have heard one report (take this with a grain of salt) concerning a Korean gentleman who briefly submerged his M240 (accidentally) in salt water and that the camera survived with no ill effects. I do not recommend trying this...;)

Trust me on this......it is not by any stretch of the imagination "weatherproofing".

It is simply splash and dust resistant.

• Like 1

Is that such a funny question? I am not rolling on the floor laughing. I waited 6 months for the (extremely expensive) camera and after 1 day it showed problems. If it is gone for months (as I fully expect) getting repaired- I think the warranty should be extended to cover that. As a camera that had issues from day one- if they now need to remove the top cover- effectively I will never have had the properly working, un-molested, un-disasembled brand new camera I paid top dollar for. :mad:NROFL.

Jacques I can understand your annoyance of course. As far as I know this fault has not been reported by anyone previously?

With a fault appearing on day one, I think I would have immediately returned it to the dealer and requested a replacement unit. That is make immediate contact and tell them it was faulty on delivery. I would expect that Leica Camera Australia would have done their best to get a new one in your hands from the next batch arriving.

As far as I know Camera Clinic would not be performing any work on the new camera as yet and Solms would be trying hard to turn around any returned with faults as quickly as possible (48 hrs in shop for the few with the potential lug fault for example). That still leaves the delays in shipping and customs of course, unfortunately.

I hope that we hear from you that it is not away for months.

I wouldn't stress overly about having a "molested" or disassembled camera though. After all the "molesters" and disassemblers were already in there and are the same folks that put it together in the first place :eek:

It is simply splash and dust resistant.

Which is exactly how Leica specifies it - not more - not less.

img24301.jpg

Splash-proof camera body

Thanks to the many years of experience gathered by our engineers in the construction of camera bodies, the new Leica M is built without compromise for maximum stability and perfect sealing. Its top and base plates are machined from solid brass, and its full-metal body is manufactured in one piece from high-strength magnesium alloy. Specially designed rubber seals protect the camera body against dust and water spray. The glass covering plate of its high-resolution monitor screen is manufactured from particularly tough and scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® glass. All this makes the Leica M particularly resilient and helps guarantee it a long and reliable working life.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Which is exactly how Leica specifies it - not more - not less.

well not exactly... that blurb says 'perfect sealing' then seems to water down that claim by only mentioning protection against 'dust and water spray'. :rolleyes: To my mind 'perfect sealing' seals perfectly....

(now- I am only quibbling here.... and not exactly serious..)

Edited by jaques

There exists no DSLR on the market, which is waterresistant like some watches are (at least for a time). Perfect sealing in this case means only against splash water. That is valid too for my 5 D III and was valid too for my 1 D IV. And there is no guarantee regarding this - I have contacted in this matter Canon some time ago. The only cameras, which are really water tight to some extent are some "outdoor" cameras , i.e. from Panasonic or Olympus and some others - but even with this the sealing will not be tight forever ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

well not exactly... that blurb says 'perfect sealing' then seems to water down that claim by only mentioning protection against 'dust and water spray'. :rolleyes: To my mind 'perfect sealing' seals perfectly....

(now- I am only quibbling here.... and not exactly serious..)

For that kind of work I use this -seriously:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

nope - black paint. Apparently not one silver M has made it to Australian dealers yet.

I was a bit torn between the black and silver- but I think black looks best with the new camera- and it is what I was offered first so I took it. I really wish it was black chrome like my M6... but then again the brassing will look pretty cool down the line.

• 3 months later...

a sad update: waited for a few months whilst camera traversed the globe wending its way ever so slowly to Solms... just today I got the call it was finally back at my dealer... thanks and praise be to God I thinks... Picked up the camera- put in the battery, set to DNG, ISO 200, self timer to 12 seconds- the power switch to S mode- popped my Noctilux on: fired two shots... all ok-:rolleyes: fired a third shot: F!@#$%^ :mad::(:eek:Self Timer starts up again!!! Looked at the dial in disbelief: yes it is still set to S.

Has anyone else had this issue?

After my rage had died down I thought I would try out my new Biotar lens. Popped it on the camera: turned on focus peaking. Pressed LV: Camera says 'No Lens Attached".... Turned off and on: now LV starts up. Tried to focus: NO FOCUS PEAKING. Have tested with EVF and LV- no red lines at all. Nada.

Why Me? Why?

Now I have fired off another 10 shots- all is OK (except my focus is off on some as I can't get peaking to work and I can't stand the magnified view). It seems I just cannot trust this camera- no way... If I send it back: what happens if Leica says they cannot replicate the issue again???

Edited by jaques

Now I have fired off another 10 shots- all is OK (except my focus is off on some as I can't get peaking to work and I can't stand the magnified view). It seems I just cannot trust this camera- no way... If I send it back: what happens if Leica says they cannot replicate the issue again???

A friend from the UK recently visited me in China with his new Hasselblad H4D which began having all sorts of intermittent problems and locking up soon after arrival. At first Hasselblad where saying there was nothing they could do without receiving the camera, but we used camera phones to film the issues whenever they arose, which pretty much ended all debate, and Hasselblad met my friend in Hong Kong with a new camera.

Stick to your guns and document your issues, including all the delays and time lost.

• Like 2

Hello Stephen,

I had thought of doing exactly that three months ago when the issue was first occurring. The thing was it seems to totally random. It happens- then it doesn't- just when you thought it would never happen again: it happens again. Today it has not (yet) happened again so I am again thinking maybe it is OK?

I have a horrible feeling that if I try and video it: I will sit there for hours pressing the shutter and making videos of the camera working perfectly: and the second I give up in frustration: and take a shot outside: it will happen again. It seems to be a malicious gremlin of exactly this type.

I know the shutter should be fine for whatever massive # of shots; but I also don't the like the idea of wasting them on useless tests :rolleyes: I try not to pick up my M and take photos of nothing just playing with it as much as I can;). I hope to put a lot of 'proper' shots on the counter over the years. I am slightly miffed that the camera has already had a lot of extra frames on the counter as it was tested by me, by Camera Clinic in Sydney and then twice by Solms. Th idea of hundreds more frames fired on two continents before I get it back again is not a happy one for me.

Never the less I dearly hope I can catch it on video: as I suspect there will always be some people who doubt my word until they see some supposedly incontrovertible video evidence... I discussed the issue with the folks at Solms when it was there: they were adamant that they could find no faults but offered no explanation of what could have caused my experience to differ... I asked politely that they re-check as I had a bad feeling what has happened: would happen. I wish I had had a video to send them then.

As I say: It is that type of malicious Gremlin...

concerning the focus peaking: I discovered that if I stop my lens down to F8 and magnify the images- I can see a few faint flecks of red here and there. But it seems way harder to see than before and can't be seen at all below f4 and as such useless for focusing wide open. I wish there was a way to increase/adjust the level of peaking indicators. The peaking on the new Sony seems way better. However this is with my 75mm Biotar- it could be because the lens has an issue. I will test with a Leica lens now...

Edited by jaques

... Tried to focus: NO FOCUS PEAKING. Have tested with EVF and LV- no red lines at all. Nada. ...

Jacques,

Very sorry to hear of your on/off switch troubles; imo it's almost worse having electronic equipment that only works some of the time than not working at all because you assume it will work but you can't trust it.

Re the focus peaking, it may have to do with the contrast of the lens being used. I find that focus peaking doesn't work with some older low-contrast lenses like my 1940's CZJ Sonnars but works fine with later lenses. That said though, it works with my v4 Noctilux okay. I would expect your Zeiss 75/1.5 Biotar to have fairly low contrast (lovely lens btw).

Pete.

it seems this is true- wide open at f1.4 I could not see a single red edge highlight appearing even at magnified view. This is a shame as I had high hopes for using this lens on the M with peaking. Luckily it is a great lens stopped down as well and I hope to use it for landscape work that way. Images from this lens I have seen impart an amazing dramatic mood to landscapes. This was my first day using it- so far so good wide open even without peaking- though zoom magnifying is very slow for me:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Stephen,

I had thought of doing exactly that three months ago when the issue was first occurring. The thing was it seems to totally random. It happens- then it doesn't- just when you thought it would never happen again: it happens again. Today it has not (yet) happened again so I am again thinking maybe it is OK?

I have a horrible feeling that if I try and video it: I will sit there for hours pressing the shutter and making videos of the camera working perfectly: and the second I give up in frustration: and take a shot outside: it will happen again. It seems to be a malicious gremlin of exactly this type.

I know the shutter should be fine for whatever massive # of shots; but I also don't the like the idea of wasting them on useless tests :rolleyes: I try not to pick up my M and take photos of nothing just playing with it as much as I can;). I hope to put a lot of 'proper' shots on the counter over the years. I am slightly miffed that the camera has already had a lot of extra frames on the counter as it was tested by me, by Camera Clinic in Sydney and then twice by Solms. Th idea of hundreds more frames fired on two continents before I get it back again is not a happy one for me.

Never the less I dearly hope I can catch it on video: as I suspect there will always be some people who doubt my word until they see some supposedly incontrovertible video evidence... I discussed the issue with the folks at Solms when it was there: they were adamant that they could find no faults but offered no explanation of what could have caused my experience to differ... I asked politely that they re-check as I had a bad feeling what has happened: would happen. I wish I had had a video to send them then.

As I say: It is that type of malicious Gremlin...

concerning the focus peaking: I discovered that if I stop my lens down to F8 and magnify the images- I can see a few faint flecks of red here and there. But it seems way harder to see than before and can't be seen at all below f4 and as such useless for focusing wide open. I wish there was a way to increase/adjust the level of peaking indicators. The peaking on the new Sony seems way better. However this is with my 75mm Biotar- it could be because the lens has an issue. I will test with a Leica lens now...

I feel sad when reading what you are going through Jaques, as I could relate I would be VERY UPSET too if the camera had to be sent in to fix a random issue after a long wait to get it. You feel very excited to get it back from servicing after another long wait, yet the issue is not fixed. You are very fortunate to be able to afford such a nice camera so life should be good I assume. So don't let such a camera issue upset yourself. BUT it is easier said than be done... I would be furious if this happened to me as one would expect the experience of owning such a nice camera should be "stress free"! Not months and months of waiting... with intermittent issue. From my point of view they should just give you a brand new one if you have to send it back again, as long as the issue is seen by someone at a Leica store/a video that you can provide to prove/show that the issue persists. Oh wait a minute, they don't have a brand new one readily available even if they want to do it .... sad....

Never owned a Leica camera here. Fell in love with how the M handles when I had a chance to play with the M9 at the Leica store 3 years ago. Finally saved enough to put myself on the waiting list for an M240... been waiting for it since end of August. The waiting time to receive the camera is just way too long in my opinion. It is discouraging to see what some of the owners have to go through on this forum... may be I should stop visiting this forum to read and just hope for the best... the one I will receive (not sure when) will have a rangefinder focus perfectly with the unused brand new 50lux I bought, no malfunction, frequent lockup whatsoever. I certainly cannot put up with another long wait to send a "brand new" camera in for servicing.

Remember to breathe in, breathe out if the issue recurs... Always have your cell phone ready for the video taping of the issue. Hopefully Leica will do what Hasselblad did to StephenPatterson's friend.

Good luck & keep us posted!!

BTW, very nice picture. The nice pictures seen here are keeping me hopeful :)

Edited by jackk
  • Like 1

thanks Jackk,

the fact is: I waited 8 months to get this camera after I ordered it- then it didn't work properly and I had to send it back- I waited another 3 months- and now it is back and still doesn't work properly... I am a patient person, and I am not freaking out and losing the will to live- BUT- I am pissed off with this camera right now.

And for me: perhaps like you- this is a very significant purchase. I choose to go without a lot of things so I can afford this one luxury for myself. For instance my car is worth a (small) fraction of what my camera cost (I was going to say 'is worth' but I am not sure if that would be the correct term).

Edited by jaques
  • Like 1

People have a tendency to confuse mechanical build/feel with reliability. The simple fact based on the repeated evidence visible on this forum is that Leica has not mastered electronic reliability. Yet Leica continues to charge a premium price for an unreliable product. If customers made more of a fuss they might be encouraged to improve their product reliability and electronics quality. Here in California I would not hesitate to take them to small claims court over these issues if they failed to provide a replacement for a defective new camera. I would not spend months waiting for a repair only to have the same problems all over.

• Like 2