Another M8 going down

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shootist: It is perfectly normal to let the camera sit in a bag for two days after a full charge and expect it to power on.. I've been using this camera and battery since November and sometimes it has sat for a week or more unused and then delivers 200 or more shots..

After a day on the charger, then two days without use, the camera was dead.

Sorry Brent, I just tagged a reply into this thread to avoid creating another 'SDS' thread or an over-dramatic 'M8 dead' thread.. I just wanted to flag it up now after it happening 2 or 3 times to me (in my very light M8 usage), not just the once.. and to see where we are on this.. I'm still convinced it is some problem with the battery/charger/power-off-on system/transistor?

From all of these SDS crashes and everyone that i notice they all bought there camera's pretty early on like November , December and January. has anyone bought a camera after this time frame and had SDS failure. I am thinking if this was a bad batch of transistors at a certain time in the making of the M8, might be useful info to Leica

Hi Guy,

I bought it in February, and it had a SDS failure in May 12, Leica is giving me a replacement camera.

Theo

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks Theo it seems Leica has just been replacing these lately, myself mine keeps getting repaired. But good news it has been fairly quiet on this issue and maybe not gone away but it may have been a time issue with the transitters and maybe even okay with new production models. Let's hope so, I personnally put a lot of effort in this one with Leica to solve it and although no green is flying things do look better lately

I may be tempting fate here, Guy, but my M8 is one of the earliest (serial # below xxxx150) and I have had no issues since I bought it last Nov. I sent it in for the early recall last winter as a precaution, and have been using it regularly ever since. I'd like to think this is the norm rather than the exception.

Having said that, given others' experiences, it would appear that the electronics in these puppies may be less robust than than we should expect.

Doug

Guest guy_mancuso

Well Leica did say it was a transitter issue , now many companies buy these in batches and put them in a bin and build the camera but again they could be from different sources and some maybe good and some maybe bad plus they test on random basis so you could have a bin of 200 in it and 25 are bad. So hard to say. I would expect going forward this will be a non issue in new production but still makes you think about it and in my opinion the worst problem. Everything else to me is minor but still needs to be fixed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree, although this problem is intermittant and I understand they are investigating it thoroughly... I would like to see an official statement of their findings, at least in a private note to purchasers of the affected production range, and of course a speedy replacement of a rework or a re-engineered charger/battery/on-off mechanism/transistor. I don't like this wait-to-see-if-it-fails, see-if-a-fresh-battery-won't-start-it, then maybe-send-it-to-solms game. There is clearly a manufacturing defect somewhere.

Iori