NovoFlex Bellows System

sanyasi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Rumors had an article about a Novoflex bellows for a Leica M

camera.Novoflex - Bellows attachment CASTBAL T/S

The website says this is useful for macro photography. Could it also be used for architectural photographer to eliminate converging lines? Does anyone have any experience with this product that they could share?

Thanks

Jack Siegel

P.S. I searched the forum and found references to Novoflex, but not this product--so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

• Like 1

The only lens that will focus to longer distances (including infinity) is the lens they offer for sale as part of a kit. An APO 90mm Schneider. This lens is likely amazing quality, but at 90mm it is a bit limiting for many architectural 'endeavors'. The tilt shift abilities and macro, make this set up perfect for product photography and still life...and therefore worth the 1300 euros, IMO.

• Like 2

I am not technically oriented, so excuse my ignorance: Once the lens is attached to the bellows (rather than the camera), why do they limit the rig to the 90mm lens? Is there a technical reason, or is this a marketing decision?

Thanks

Jack Siegel

I am not technically oriented, so excuse my ignorance: Once the lens is attached to the bellows (rather than the camera), why do they limit the rig to the 90mm lens? Is there a technical reason, or is this a marketing decision?
There is no M mount used but some threaded mount. The lens used is - IMHO - a large format lens because you need a larger image circle to tilt and shift. Schneider Kreuznach offers APO Digitars from 35mm upwards, which is really, really wide for large format cameras. I guess you could use these with the bellows, too.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=202

Cheers,

Bernd

• Like 1

... why do they limit the rig to the 90 mm lens?

They don't. You can use any lens you want. Only if you want to focus the rig at infinity (or thereabouts) then you're limited to lenses with short barrels and long focal lengths, to overcome the bellows unit's long flange distance.

• Like 2

I did the same research the other day.

Shame, a 35 or wider with that capability and infinity focus would be useful.

I'd even settle for shutting the rear standard / camera and stitching the images to get wider views for landscape and architecture.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did the same research the other day.

Shame, a 35 or wider with that capability and infinity focus would be useful.

I'd even settle for shutting the rear standard / camera and stitching the images to get wider views for landscape and architecture.

I don't know whether you noticed: It looks to me like Novoflex does make a more flexible system for Canon EOS cameras and other makes, but I am not clear on that, either.

I have e-mailed Novoflex about the Leica system and will post any response. i plan to inquire about the Canon system also.

Thanks

This isn't a leica specific bellows system, rather adaptable to any 35mm camera (you buy the mount of your choosing from Novoflex). The reason this specific system is desirable has to do with the very small and therefore portable (light) size. The one they show with the canon on their site will have the same limitations with a larger footprint.

As 01af said, you are limited to longer focal lengths (with short barrels) if you want to focus on anything more than a few feet. With this system (and many other bellows), any lens (including Leica lenses) is adaptable but they will only have close focus abilities.

The wide angle tilt shift choices for the M are the modern canon or nikon options, with an SLR to control aperture. It's perfectly reasonable, if you already carry an SLR, but not really a good option if you want to only carry the M.

Edited by kokoshawnuff

Guest tanks

The wide angle tilt shift choices for the M are the modern canon or nikon options, with an SLR to control aperture. It's perfectly reasonable, if you already carry an SLR, but not really a good option if you want to only carry the M.

Not true for Nikon lenses. The Novoflex M adapter for Nikon lenses does allow control of the aperture.

The following e-mail from Novoflex confirms what has been said. I give them lots of credit for the quick and honest response.

Dear Jack.

Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

The CASTBAL-T/S bellows attachment is an accessory for our CASTEL-Q focusing rack. However it can also be purchased in a set consisting of a bellows, focusing rack, 90mm Schneider lens.

Thanks to a whole range of adapters this bellows can be used with almost all current 35mm, APS-C and medium format type cameras and lenses.

You'll find a complete list of available adapters here: Novoflex - Adapters for CASTBAL T/S

Please be aware, that this is not a tool for architecture photography since you won't be able to reach infinity with your 35mm lenses. The bellows works like an extension tube.

The only lens you'll reach infinity with is the 90mm Schneider Kreuznach Apo Digitar lens.

Therefore this is basically intended for close-up, product- and macro photography.

Kind regards

Martin Grahl

(Sales)

Bellows are used for close focusing because they move the lens away from the image plane, film or sensor. A view camera has moveable standards both front and rear , they move both slide sideways and up/down, and tilt .

Because of the minimum bellows extension, a 90 mm is the shortest that will focus to infinity and will give a telephoto angle of view.

You will be better served with a shift lens where the camera back is kept vertical and the lens shifted upward so the camera sees more up than down without "keystoning". or convergence of parallel lines. This mimics the up/down movement of a view camera lens in a proper short to normal focal length.

A tripod is best used as it is not easy to compose and keep the back level and shift the lens all at the same time.

My Leica 28 and 35 shift now are in Nikon mounts where they work well. Nikon sells their own, however I already own the Leica.

You can also use the 28 and 35 on the new M240 with live view.

In the end, there is no cheap solution except perspective correction in photoshop where there is some quality loss.

• Like 1

Not cheap is a understatement, particularly if you are looking to do the work digitally. By my calculation, even combing a used Phase One P series digital back with a good view camera and one lens is a $20,000 to $25,000 proposition.

• 3 months later...

Don't even bother with Novoflex get the following for macro and architecture for Leica M.

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH PC-TS SUPER-ANGULON 4.5/28

a91e68d568.jpg

Jos. Schneider Optische Werke Kreuznach: Tilt/Shift Lenses

this is one Badass lens for architecture it has 72mm image circle it gives you 56mp aprox stitched image on Leica M. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. ;)

With Leica M's quality I'm thinking if selling my Cambo.

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH PC-TS MAKRO-SYMMAR 4.5/90 HM

This is a Symmetric maKro super bad ass lens formula of all times. just trust me!

Also if you have any evil DSLR you can order the mount for your DSLR (as of today there is no M mount version) and get the Novoflex Adapter for i.e. EOS to M.

• 3 years later...

Don't even bother with Novoflex get the following for macro and architecture for Leica M.SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH PC-TS SUPER-ANGULON 4.5/28a91e68d568.jpgJos. Schneider Optische Werke Kreuznach: Tilt/Shift Lensesthis is one Badass lens for architecture it has 72mm image circle it gives you 56mp aprox stitched image on Leica M. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. ;)With Leica M's quality I'm thinking if selling my Cambo. SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH PC-TS MAKRO-SYMMAR 4.5/90 HMThis is a Symmetric maKro super bad ass lens formula of all times. just trust me!Also if you have any evil DSLR you can order the mount for your DSLR (as of today there is no M mount version) and get the Novoflex Adapter for i.e. EOS to M.

Old posting but I have to ask: Do you still using this lens with a M? How is it compared to the old Leica 28mm PC lens?

Thanks ...

My 28 PC and 35 PC are leica refitted with Leitax mounts for Nikon.   The null cam for metering had to be placed in one corner ,  but I chose to remove it.  Then made a .030" substitute from plastic.  .032 would have been correct,  so focus scale is off a hair,  but images are fine.

TS has been a dream for years,  but no affordable equipment has been made.   Older Leica long focus, not tele,  have amazing coverage to allow T&S,  such as 135 hector,  90 mm Elmarit.