Leica M Video; First Short Film

Kinda nice there Edmond.

My only remark as to the production of a commercial shoot like that, ie, kinda slow paced and panned one, is that you should stop using the FCP X anti-shake.(if thats what you we been using?) At a few points in the video you get that wobbly-glass "effect" which really ruins the rest of the production - At least for for me that is.

Otherwise nice!

Kinda nice there Edmond.

My only remark as to the production of a commercial shoot like that, ie, kinda slow paced and panned one, is that you should stop using the FCP X anti-shake.(if thats what you we been using?) At a few points in the video you get that wobbly-glass "effect" which really ruins the rest of the production - At least for for me that is.

Otherwise nice!

Erm, I definitely would never use an anti shake effect. Not sure which part you're referring too, so would really appreciate a time stamp so I could check it out. It may be that your play back may have stuttered? Cheers :-)

:)

the one that was most apparent was the closeup of the coffee machine dripping coffee, and after that a shot of two lads having a chat sitting at a table.

Was one before that as well, panning from right to left over some shelves.

Could be vimeo as well i suppose?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Edmond, that is just excellent. The creative feel of the whole piece is just fantastic. I want to stop by and have a latte. Love the atmosphere and feel. Really well done. I bet your client loved it. And, to think it was done on the M.

Rick

I very much like the tone of the piece and the use of shallow DOF. As a constructive criticism I'd say that the piece also points out the difficulties of color correcting moving as opposed to still pictures, particularly in mixed lighting situations such as we see in the cafe. The free version of DaVinci Resolve would go a long ways towards solving some of the color balanc problems I see in this piece.

Really nice work! I've been hesitant to use my M on a real production but your piece is making me think again....

In the future, you may want to stop down a small bit on the interview setups so that both of the interviewee's eyes will be in focus.

Thank you for sharing your work!

-dan

:)

the one that was most apparent was the closeup of the coffee machine dripping coffee, and after that a shot of two lads having a chat sitting at a table.

Was one before that as well, panning from right to left over some shelves.

Could be vimeo as well i suppose?

All of those shots were on a monopod, so some movement in the shots, but for me (and several colleagues in broadcast) the shots were fine. The video is double compressed though; once by me for upload and once by Vimeo, so perhaps that has caused you the issue? Also maybe let the video load fully before watching, as it may have stuttered at points? Thanks for the feedback, but as mentioned, I never use gimmicks like anti shake!!!

Edmond, that is just excellent. The creative feel of the whole piece is just fantastic. I want to stop by and have a latte. Love the atmosphere and feel. Really well done. I bet your client loved it. And, to think it was done on the M.

Rick

Many thanks Rick; the client did indeed love it; we did a screening last night for the entire team and they were all very buzzed about it, which is rather nice :-)

From an absolute novice's point of view when it comes to video, this is exciting. It appears that not much equipment beyond the camera and a lens or two is needed to make a really nice video.

Thanks for sharing!

I very much like the tone of the piece and the use of shallow DOF. As a constructive criticism I'd say that the piece also points out the difficulties of color correcting moving as opposed to still pictures, particularly in mixed lighting situations such as we see in the cafe. The free version of DaVinci Resolve would go a long ways towards solving some of the color balanc problems I see in this piece.

Thank you kindly. My colourist friend and colleague did correct some of the shots; the huge issue there wasn't the shots, but in some areas, there were three completely different colour temperatures! Two wildly different artificial light sources and daylight. One just cannot correct for all three, so we did the best we could! It was a bit challenging! I didn't realise there was a free version of Resolve though, thanks for the pointer.

Really nice work! I've been hesitant to use my M on a real production but your piece is making me think again....

In the future, you may want to stop down a small bit on the interview setups so that both of the interviewee's eyes will be in focus.

Thank you for sharing your work!

-dan

Many thanks :-)

From an absolute novice's point of view when it comes to video, this is exciting. It appears that not much equipment beyond the camera and a lens or two is needed to make a really nice video.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers. You do need a few bits and pieces, but it all depends on what & where you're shooting. Perhaps the most crucial first step is a way to steady the shots. I used a Manfrotto 561BHDV video monopod for all but the interview shots, which was on a tripod. You also need to consider ND filters and audio. The other major difference is the different approach to shooting moving images. None of this is complex though; it's just different techniques and considerations. Some internet research or a workshop will get you on the right track and help avoid any technical disappointments :-)

• Like 1

Thanks Edmond. I really did enjoy your video. And its given me the urge to get into a bit of research. But first I'm going to go out with my camera and just shoot some video to find out what the (my) most obvious shortcomings and necessities are!

Thanks Edmond. I really did enjoy your video. And its given me the urge to get into a bit of research. But first I'm going to go out with my camera and just shoot some video to find out what the (my) most obvious shortcomings and necessities are!

I'd do it slightly the other way around, as it's easy to make basic mistakes. Ok, first mega important tip - you always shoot video at 1/50th of a second. Put the shutter dial on 1/45th and when you press the M button it will go into 1/50th itself. Also, either custom WB or choose a manual WB. Lastly, be steady! Have fun :-)

• Like 2