Lets drop the M "240" altogether!

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless you wish to convincingly elaborate, "Chinese dishwasher" seems somewhat disdainful of things Chinese. I'm reasonably sure you would not use a negative allusion involving more vocal minorities. regards, ron

LOL. This place is getting out of control.

I have a bunch of Chinese things on my desk. All functional. All well made. All named with a string of numbers including a calculator called a G1x-290.

But knock yourself out, read into what ever the hell you like. :rolleyes:

I must say, I am fast tiring of this place. It's exhausting.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 6

LOL. This place is getting out of control.

I have a bunch of Chinese things on my desk. All functional. All well made. All named with a string of numbers including a calculator called a G1x-290.

But knock yourself out, read into what ever the hell you like. :rolleyes:

I must say, I am fast tiring of this place. It's exhausting.

Thanks for the clarity. regards, ron

Got it with the M4-2 and the first thing i did was to remove it as well. First time i got the red dot also but it was easy to remove then.

Yes, the M4-2 of 1976 followed the frontal bragging established with the M5 in 1971. Ugh, noisy common practice.

FWIIW, I still think the M5 had fabulous features - some of which I would love to see in today's M-s.

As the M3 had that designation for its 3 windows, rather than being the third in a line (and the MD had no rangefinder), don't you think we're all be a bit precious about all this?

I think we need to be reminded of the M-camera progression:

• M3 1954-1968
  • MP 1956-1959(?)
  • M2 1957-1968
  • M1 1959-1964
  • MD/a/2/post 1964-1986
  • M4 1967-1975
  • M5 1971-1975 (the first M camera with designation on the front)
  • M4-2 1977-1980
  • M4-P 1980-1986
  • M6 1984-1999
  • M6TTL 1998-2003
  • M6TTL HM 2000
  • M6TTL Die letzten 999 2003
  • M7 2002-current
  • MP 2003-current
  • M8 2006-2008
  • M8.2 2008-2009
  • M9 2009-2012
  • M9-P 2011-2012
  • Monochrom 2012-current
  • M-E 2012-current
  • M 2012-current
  • X Vario 2013-current apparently :cool:

I don't really see that much logic to calling the new camera M10, and quite a lot for ditching the numerical designation and just going with 'M'. If people want to distinguish between M cameras, use the internal model number (240).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Oh for goodness sake. Ron, I think you're reading more into Paul's post than was there. "Chinese" is an adjective, "dishwasher" is a noun, put them together and you have an object and its descriptor, nothing more. As far as I'm concerned Paul's allusion to a Chinese dishwasher is no more than a comment that Chinese goods sometimes have model names containing letters and numbers.

Pete.

Too funny. I just went and had a look and our "Chinese Dishwasher" is an LG (Korean) with the model name "Tronn" (Norwegian?). We had a Haier (Chinese brand with a German sounding name) but it broke after one month!!!

I agree we don't need to be overly PC, as long as things don't get out of hand.

As for the M well I'm afraid I'm guilty of falling into the M240 trap. I suppose it's just my shorthand after seeing "Leica M (Typ 240)" in the EXIF data every day. There is no way I'm typing that every time.

This is the official forum for Leicas.

Leica wanted for whatever the reason to call it's new camera M. Not M10 or M240 or M3 or M24545869879345987.

we can pay them at least some respect and follow this naming, which is btw official and it won't change. So far it works: there is no other camera that's named only with an M. In the future we will see what they will do with that.

Calling the only camera in their line which has already a name and is clearly differentiated by any other model in the line, a different name to ... differentiate the different is well a bit silly.

I don't know about the rest of you but I can tell the difference between M, MM X or whatever. And I don't need the (240). I never did need it and I also never used it since day one of it's launch.

This whole story reminds me of the Higgs Bosson, that one by -definition stupid- Journalist call it the god particle, and so every other Journalist found it so cute as to adopt it...

This is the official forum for Leicas.

Leica wanted for whatever the reason to call it's new camera M. Not M10 or M240 or M3 or M24545869879345987.

we can pay them at least some respect and follow this naming, which is btw official and it won't change.

I would tend to agree if not for the fact that Leica have embedded "Leica M (Typ 240)" in the EXIF data and not simply "Leica M"

I would tend to agree if not for the fact that Leica have embedded "Leica M (Typ 240)" in the EXIF data and not simply "Leica M"

But none is calling it my... M (typ240). Instead they just say M240 which is something that doesn't exist. like saying get me a Coca Cola (typPepsi) :p

• Like 1