Lets drop the M "240" altogether!

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In communicating to friends I am saying about this Leica " M " camera: Leica M 240.

So Leica did not want the Leica to be named M 10. and now we all call it M 240?

Doesn't this sound a little odd.

Leica calls it : M,..... Nobody understands what you mean, so we call it Leica 240 because of the Typ 240 naming....... by Leica.

So now everyone calls it Leica M 240.

The name doesn't sounds right IMHO and must be Leica M just as Leica herself named it. But we'll have to wait a very long time until it will become a Leica M.

I mean before it has proven itself to be the MMMmilestone. Just like the MP has proven itself to be an MP.

Maybe Leica M 240 stands for Leica M ( with ) 24 ( megapixtel ) ? Is that the sense behind the naming, then we could name it Leica M 24. That's sounds nicer IMO: An M one can use 24 hours a day....

But hey, most logical after the M 9 is the M 10.....

Maybe a lot of Leica people at Solms already regretted the name making and want to change it , but can't anymore. ( It needs courage to admit your mistakes? )

But this forum is big. So can't we, just for the sake of argument and for simplicity call the new M an M 10? Everybody will know what we mean?

• Like 7

M10 doesn't exist elsewhere than in our wishes and RFF owner's i'm afraid. M240 doesn't exist either but it is closer to "M (typ 240)" and is easier than "M" to differentiate from other past, current and future Ms IMHO.

I refuse to call it the M240. Sounds like a chinese dishwasher.

I think the M (minus the number) naming convention suitsthe camera, the brand and ethos in the short term but long term it's not effective as people need to differentiate when discussing new models and now we do so with a longer geekier number. No thanks. I feel like a bit of a tool saying type 240. As if it wasn't geeky enough.

So then what? Next they'll be naming them like Apple editions? M Snow Leopard? :rolleyes:

Hopefully not after photographers names. M Bresson. Ugh. How about different kinds of Bratwurst? M Thüringer.

Hmmm....240 it is then I suppose. But I refuse to say it and people will have to guess the model I'm talking about. :)

I think the M (minus the number) naming convention suitsthe camera, the brand and ethos in the short term but long term it's not effective as people need to differentiate when discussing new models and now we do so with a longer geekier number. No thanks. I feel like a bit of a tool saying type 240. As if it wasn't geeky enough.

So then what? Next they'll be naming them like Apple editions? M Snow Leopard? :rolleyes:

Hopefully not after photographers names. M Bresson. Ugh. How about different kinds of Bratwurst? M Thüringer.

Hmmm....240 it is then I suppose. But I refuse to say it and people will have to guess the model I'm talking about. :)

In fact the M 240 is a nomenclature that already exists and which has a few meanings opposite to the Leica Camera, or not....

M240 machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lithium Battery For Samsung m240, m320, m360, m370, m400, t119 - Samsung SPH-m400, m400

The first one is the most disturbing to me. I could imagine a conversation beginning with:

“I went to the woods with my new M 240 and shot a Moose standing right before me..”

or is this just bad english?

Or like " The Artist formerly know as Prince "

I just realize that one of my watches is called " Frank Sinatra":D:D

No M 10 is short enough for me and everybody understands what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

If you talk about the ‘M’ or the ‘new M’, those who know about Leica and their products will understand what you mean (you could add ‘Typ 240’ if there is any danger of confusion with the M series in general). Those who do not would be none the wiser whatever you say. At least one should avoid confusing people and sending them on a wild goose chase, like talking about one’s new ‘M10’ – good luck to anyone trying to find that one on Leica’s website.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the notion that the M should have been the M10. However, that was Leica's choice and it is too late. Customers don't get to name their products. BMWs name used to reflect engine size. They no longer do. Logically my 535, which has a 3 liter engine, should be a "530" but calling it a 530 would not be very useful.

If you need some information on the internet about your product you need to say M or better yet M(240) and not M10 or "535" and not "530".

So logic may be on the side of "M10" but we are stuck for very practical reasons with the naming convention adopted.

If you talk about the ‘M’ or the ‘new M’, those who know about Leica and their products will understand what you mean (you could add ‘Typ 240’ if there is any danger of confusion with the M series in general). Those who do not would be none the wiser whatever you say. At least one should avoid confusing people and sending them on a wild goose chase, like talking about one’s new ‘M10’ – good luck to anyone trying to find that one on Leica’s website.

Not on Leicas website, but on a lot of others: Type " Leica M 10 " in google and you find it.No problem.

Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Page 29 - (Leica M10 or) Leica M Type 240 and Leica ME Digital Rangefinder Camera - First Impressions from Photokina 2012

The 2013 Leica M Typ 240 – Ming Thein | Photographer

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=68

I'm calling it the M240 for clarity.

Dr Kaufmann, upon recently admitting he messed up with the Vario marketing bullshot, said "we learnt not to mess with the Leca M"

Now, was he referring to the historical range of M cameras, or the M Typ. 240? I assume he meant the family, the history.

So M is the range, Typ. 240 is this camera. Because typing M Typ. 240 is a needless PIA I'll continue with M240. Just like PIA and OP and BTW are easier to write and universally understood.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with the notion that the M should have been the M10. However, that was Leica's choice and it is too late. Customers don't get to name their products. BMWs name used to reflect engine size. They no longer do. Logically my 535, which has a 3 liter engine, should be a "530" but calling it a 530 would not be very useful.

If you need some information on the internet about your product you need to say M or better yet M(240) and not M10 or "535" and not "530".

So logic may be on the side of "M10" but we are stuck for very practical reasons with the naming convention adopted.

Yes, but Volvo 745 for the 740 estate stuck....