Should I replace Fuji X100 with Leica M8?

TCY

Thanks Loren for interesting info, but still - human eye does not work with bits and when looking at prints it has no way of telling what raw format they are based on (and what camera they are taken with for that matter).

My point was that M8 while lacking fancy features and technical improvements of modern camera such as X100, gives you a rich options to play with and still provide rewarding results. Hence my answer to original thread question is eventually "Yes, I should."

Thanks Loren for interesting info, but still - human eye does not work with bits and when looking at prints it has no way of telling what raw format they are based on (and what camera they are taken with for that matter).

My point was that M8 while lacking fancy features and technical improvements of modern camera such as X100, gives you a rich options to play with and still provide rewarding results. Hence my answer to original thread question is eventually "Yes, I should."

I must have misunderstood your post when you stated that the human eye is barely capable to distinguish 14 vs. 8 bits.

I should have expressed myself better, I guess. Anyway, there is no doubt ETTR is a sweet spot of M8, I just like to break the rules when it suits my purpose (concerning photography, of course ;-)

I don't stop at photography! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just upgrades to M8 from an X100. and i cannot believe, why i wouldn do it much earlier.

there are only two bad things about the M8 so far:

the M8 weighs a lot more than the X100 and is less handy. when carrying aoround all day, you will remark the difference.

the M8 does not deliver anything like a useable .jpg out of cam. you must go with .dng an manually process the pictures. especielly when you are used to the X100-files wich in most cases are really almost perfect.

and then the M8 is like 8 years older technology. that's nothing exactly bad, but some things were slower in those days...

i just upgrades to M8 from an X100. and i cannot believe, why i wouldn do it much earlier.

there are only two bad things about the M8 so far:

the M8 weighs a lot more than the X100 and is less handy. when carrying aoround all day, you will remark the difference.

the M8 does not deliver anything like a useable .jpg out of cam. you must go with .dng an manually process the pictures. especielly when you are used to the X100-files wich in most cases are really almost perfect.

and then the M8 is like 8 years older technology. that's nothing exactly bad, but some things were slower in those days...

I always shoot raw. In camera JPEG engines are not reliable and in some cases, down right bad.

JPEG removes a lot of potential in post processing/ It may be your preference to rely on JPEG, but I would rather have the raw files to maximize my post processing potential any day.

Now, is the X100 better than an M8? That depends on your needs. However, great photographs are made by photographers, not cameras.