Should I replace Fuji X100 with Leica M8?

TCY

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The nuances of both camera's have been well covered here so I won't repeat what has already been posted.

However I am happy to tell of my own experience. I went from a Canon 5D2 (with an array of lenses) to a Fuji X100 primarily to lose the size/weight and "liberate" myself with a single 35mm focal length. From walking around with a 24-105mm zoom to the Fuji was a joy. On trips out I would take one or the other camera, and on reflection take photos that (given the parameters of each) were equally pleasing. What the Fuji did was help me relearn how to compose thoughtfully - something that is easily lost with a zoom lens and a (comparatively) quicker focus system. Less is more, as they say.

The Fuji tempted me to a rangefinder. To be honest I do not really know why - because it certainly was not due to the utterly unusable manual focus of the Fuji! Maybe it was a lingering desire to try something new. Perhaps it was the danger of entering into the expensive Leica lair....

Anyway, I persuaded myself that a new M-E would be just about affordable. Even got permission from my wife. But I simply could not justify the cost.

So I picked up an M8.2 at a reasonable cost (factored in a service at Solms) and have picked up a mix of some good affordable lenses as recommended in the forums elsewhere.

The result? Could not be happier. I still use the Canon for concert photography (fast primes, auto focus and high ISO) and the Fuji as a travel camera when photography takes a back seat (recreation, work etc.) and size/convenience is more important.

Otherwise the M8.2 with one lens attached and one in my pocket is now the mainstay for me.

Less is most certainly more.

James

I have an opportunity to buy a used Leica M8 for very reasonable price for canadian $1487 (2300 plus shutter count). Currently I have a Fuji X100 which I like very much.

My question is should I replace the Fuji X100 witha used Leica M8? I have never use a rangefinder before.

Any advise?

Thank you.

Get a Fuji X100S !

• Like 2

My friend has a X100, and I have a M8. We often shoot together and exchange images so we both have a pretty good feel for both camera's capabilities.

Our general conclusion is, features aside, the IQ from the X100 is not anywhere near the M8 even with 30 year old Leica Mandler lenses.

The high ISO performance of the X100 is certainly excellent, if you shoot in low light conditions the X100 would be a better choice, however the real better choice is the X100S, that is much closer to the M8 overall.

Some people have obviously had problems with some of the early M8's, but I have had mine for 6 years, and have used it constantly, with not a single problem.

I have shot with an M9, and have found the IQ difference to be not that dramatic to justify the cost difference. I believe that M8's will be affordable quality cameras for many years to come.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very nice Nikon D300 with some good lenses which was sold to buy an X100 which I loved - light weight and great images. I then bought an M8 which I now use all of the time - it's heavier than the X100, noisier, has awful high ISO performance but which is simply a much better camera in terms of simplicity and quality.

Not unless you are familiar with RF cameras as they are much unlike anything else. Then the M8 is pretty quirky as a camera anyway, sensor lines, bad displays they can not repair, iv.ir filters, colors that try to emulate Kodachrome and do not. Repair costs are atrocious and they all need work unlike Japanese cameras. M9 is a far better value as is the ME.

You will sink a ton of money into it and may still wish you had the old camera.

• 4 weeks later...
Otherwise the M8.2 with one lens attached and one in my pocket is now the mainstay for me.

Why didn't I think of that? :confused: One lens on the camera and one lens in my pocket! What could be easier? Thanks for waking me up! :) I'm serious. Some of the Leica lenses are so small that they will easily fit in your pocket.

I like my DSLRs (with lenses) but they are becoming a pain in the butt to carry around.

YES.

the X100 is just another camera....no different than any mass produced camera IMO. Nothing special. The M8, like other Leica M cameras, is all about the journey and the experience of shooting. 2 completely different criteria.

YES.

the X100 is just another camera....no different than any mass produced camera IMO. Nothing special. The M8, like other Leica M cameras, is all about the journey and the experience of shooting. 2 completely different criteria.

A bit of leica dribble above ......... cameras don't need to be special a person's ability to create successful images is the journey

• Like 1

A bit of leica dribble above ......... cameras don't need to be special a person's ability to create successful images is the journey

don't be a boring cliche. user interface, enjoyability, and the method by which one accomplishes something ABSOLUTELY contributes to creativity.

the bottom line is that the M8 is a beautifully made, wonderful to use MACHINE. the X100 is an appliance that is not special or particularly interesting.

Edited by iedei

the method by which one accomplishes something ABSOLUTELY contributes to creativity.

This is true, especially of an M.

the bottom line is that the M8 is a beautifully made, wonderful to use MACHINE. the X100 is an appliance that is not special or particularly interesting.

This is more drinking of the Kool-Aid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I shot the X100 since it was released, and have also owned other Fuji X cameras as well. They're all fantastic, and are absolutely brilliant when put into the right hands.

That said, a year ago I had the opportunity to shoot with an M9 for a week. I quickly fell in love with the shooting technique, rangefinder focusing, and the simplicity of the whole system. No frills. Just a camera.

I don't care for video functions, scene modes, film emulation, or any of the other gimmicky bits that modern digital cameras come with, so it was quite refreshing to shoot with a camera that wasn't plump full of features I'd never touch.

I decided this year that I'd start searching for an M8.2 to replace my X100. I was very happy with the X100, but I couldn't kick the feeling I had about the M9, and the special quality that I got out of the shots I took with it. I found a good deal on an M8.2, threw on a Zeiss Biogon 35mm f/2, and I haven't looked back.

Sure, it has it's limitations. For instance, High ISO is great on the Fuji x cameras, but is possibly the M8's biggest weakness. That being said, if you're aware of the weaknesses and issues going in, and you feel that you can accept them and enjoy the camera for what it is, I'm certain that the M8/M8.2 would please.

It's been said here many times, and I think it's important to remember that it is not the gear that makes the photos--it's the photographer. But photography is an emotional thing, and we all connect with our tools differently. Some people don't like rangefinders, while others love them. If you feel it's a system that you'd connect with, then I encourage you to give it a shot. The Fuji cameras are terrific cameras in their own right, but it's all about what you feel the connection with most.

Hope that helps. I, for one, love my M8.2.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I see these threads on Leica forums all the time and wonder if I should answer them as I have no answer. It makes me wonder how did you find this forum? How long have you followed it. My answers probably go further apart from any you will get on here. Your first and foremost question you and you alone have to answer is - exactly WHY do you consider a Leica - . I know all the pat answers by people on here that it is somehow a magical camera lense system,but quite frankly I have been seriously involved with photography for just about 63 years and in that period have owned and used almost every kind and make of camera on the market. My first Leica was purchased in 1956 and was a IIIc. Prior to that I was using a Hassleblad 1000F with a nice set of Ektar's. I have run the gamut from reflex (single lense,twin lense) to rangefinder ( Leica, Canon,Nikon and even a Robot Royal) For some reason I keep coming back to Leica Rangefinders, my favorites having been a pair of M6's. Tried Leica SLR's and then into digital with Nikon D series ending with a pair of D2x's . Then the arthritis and age (I'm 79+) caught up and I can no longer handle a D2x with a 300mm 2.8 on it for very long so it's back to Leicas. Dug my old M3SS with 50mm Summitar and meter out and put back into operating shape and liked it so much sold all the Nikon stuff and bought a couple of Leica M8's which will probably be my last cameras if they hold up. One has a Voightlander 40mm 1.4 and the other has a Voightlander 21mm 4.0 and I am imminently satisfied with both. I do no post processing as I dislike PC's but I never did developing with film, don't like it either. Why do I keep settling on Leica's, they simply feel and work good. As to their mystique I don't see it at all. I couldn't look at a fine photograph and tell you if it was made with a Leica,Hasselblad,8x10 view or whatever. As to identifying Leitz lenses special properties that set them apart, I have never understood ,period and I would venture to say 6 out of 10 people wouldn't either and it would probably be closer to 9 out of 10. I know I will be flamed totally on this point but that's one old mans view. If you like it,want it and can afford it ,buy it but if you are depending on magic forget it.

Edited by dblrifle
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The X100, with the latest firmware, makes a great companion along with your M8, for sure !

It actually CAN provide you with shots, you're unable to get with the M8.

A backup with a f2 lens that performs very well, a nice design .... for about 450 Euro ( resale value for the moment).

With the right settings, it can deliver you files that are more then workable.

So, I'd say, don't "replace" it ... get a M8 as well.

Edited by Ulev
  • Like 1

Flash is brilliant and easy on the X100, the fill flash in day light in particular is like magic as it seems to fill just enough to not look like a flash has been used. Clean high ISO, really nice skin tones out of the camera, best out of the camera jpegs on the planet. Still though my X100 has spent 10 months sat idle so I should really just sell the thing, tempted though instead to keep it and sell my M8 now that I am using an M6 and film.