M 240 randomly under exposed in LV mode (with LCD)

My problem has completely gone after 300-400 shots and 3-4 battery charges. And no this was not the problem of exposure metering on my part at all. I tested by placing the camera on stable platform / tripod and took 10-20 pictures consecutively without changing any setting in evenly lit room, around 2 shots would be underexposed by 2 stops while the rest were ok. But the lock-up problem still there but few and far between, not a deal breaker. Should be mentioned again that all these problems do/did occur only in Live View Mode.

• Like 1

I tested in many lighting conditions, indoor and out, but mostly indirect natural light. Same outcomes.

My suggestion is be patient, shoot it 300-400 frames and recharge the bat 3-4 times before sending it back to Leica for a lengthy inspection/repair.

My problem has completely gone after 300-400 shots and 3-4 battery charges. And no this was not the problem of exposure metering on my part at all. I tested by placing the camera on stable platform / tripod and took 10-20 pictures consecutively without changing any setting in evenly lit room, around 2 shots would be underexposed by 2 stops while the rest were ok. But the lock-up problem still there but few and far between, not a deal breaker. Should be mentioned again that all these problems do/did occur only in Live View Mode.

I have the same problem. Also occasional lockup if I activate fokus aid (one tap ón the outside knob) and then turn off LV. If I tap fokus aïd a second time (shut down) and then go out of LV lockup is more rare. Cure: after lockup, Press LV again, Press shutter release, and LV.

Hope it disappears when my batteries have beoen charges a nummer of times

I have the same problem. Also occasional lockup if I activate fokus aid (one tap ón the outside knob) and then turn off LV. If I tap fokus aïd a second time (shut down) and then go out of LV lockup is more rare. Cure: after lockup, Press LV again, Press shutter release, and LV.

Hope it disappears when my batteries have beoen charges a nummer of times

Pretty much the same experience that I encountered. Luckily, after a few days of intensive use and test, all these quirks has gone away. Give it a try.

• 6 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/24/2013 at 10:30 AM, teeraash said:

Hi there,

I have the M for about a week or two and notice that it produces under exposed images randomly (around 1-2 frames in 20 shots) In LV mode using LCD screen. The shutter sound of these trouble frames is thick with low pitch noise compared to the normal ones. The shutter sometimes also get stuck when switching back to rangefinder mode (rarely happens, 4-5 times in 2 weeks), it couldn't be released and hence not able to take picture. My guess is that it has to do with the shutter cycling, close-open-close when taking pictures in LV mode. Anyone experiences this problem? I know that this could be fixed, may be by changing shutter release module but I am reluctant to send it in as there is a remote possibility that the new firmware may fix it. Also I would love to bring it along side my M-E to my upcoming trips to Italy and Japan in September and October.

Greatly appreciate your advise.

Sorry for posting on this old post, but i'm having similar issue and would like to know if this problem happens again.